Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: Real Millennium Falcon?  (Read 24790 times)
Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »

I'm liking this Noriko fellow, he speaks my language Cool

Back to the matter at hand, having done a bit more research I am now 90% sure that the object is naturally-occurring. The missing 10% is simply the result of my inability to let go of the idea that it might be a prehistoric temple.

no

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 07:45:08 PM »

I would say the thing looks like natural materials modified by man or natural oddities.

And a final note on Warp Drive..... I'm betting that despite the MASSIVE number of problems standing between us and interstellar FTL travel will be difficult to solve, to be sure, but that one day.... perhaps soon, perhaps not, they will be overcome, and Warp Drive will be just like the other sci fi technologies that were deemed 'impossible' when they hit the TV and Movie screens so long ago. Wink

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »

Absolutely nothing, except light ,can go the speed of light.

FTL is plausible as well as Warp but it is physically impossible for a human to travel at 299,792,458 m / s

==================================

I'd like to know how the dang thing moved like 900 meters on the seafloor.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 09:07:07 PM »

Absolutely nothing, except light ,can go the speed of light.

All massless particles constantly travel at the speed of light. Photons were simply the first massless particles discovered so what should be known as the speed of massless particles is known as the speed of light. A lot of things other than light travel at the speed of light.

You are correct, though - we have mass, therefore it is impossible for us to reach the speed of light. That's just how it is.

no

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »

PRESENTLY. Wink

True, according to our current knowledge we can't be moved at those speeds, but once upon a time, we knew the earth was flat, that we couldn't go faster than 50MPH, couldn't go into space, couldn't call London from San Francisco, and a million other things. What we know now, is only that we have no idea what we'll know tomorrow. Smiley

@Kham: I'ma say earthquake or meteor. Some sort of big tectonic shift type thing shaking the world.

I am not a color...

reiperx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 71

Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve?

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »

PRESENTLY. Wink

True, according to our current knowledge we can't be moved at those speeds, but once upon a time, we knew the earth was flat, that we couldn't go faster than 50MPH, couldn't go into space, couldn't call London from San Francisco, and a million other things. What we know now, is only that we have no idea what we'll know tomorrow. Smiley

@Kham: I'ma say earthquake or meteor. Some sort of big tectonic shift type thing shaking the world.

As far as we can understand, we cannot travel FTL. But a warp bubble doesn't break relativity and allows us to cheat the system I guess and travel FTL without actually traveling FTL.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 12:06:32 AM »

Okay when I think FTL I think instant transmission; blink out and blink in at another location.

Is that what it is because everyone I talk to has a different opinion on FTL.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »

I think it's a government conspiracy.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

reiperx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 71

Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve?

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »

Okay when I think FTL I think instant transmission; blink out and blink in at another location.

Is that what it is because everyone I talk to has a different opinion on FTL.

That's actually how it worked in the Old Man's War series (really good 3 - 4.5 book series (3 books, 1 book written that plays in parallel with the 3rd book, and a short story between 2 and 3)).

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 01:49:16 AM »

Faster than light travel is any mode of travel that moves the matter faster than the speed of light, so theoretically even a really fast teleporter would count, or time travel too I guess. And Rei, that's great. Warp Drive is it's own Inertial Dampener! LOL Very convenient.

Oh, and would someone play the 'I Dream of Jeannie' theme for Kham the next time he blinks? XD

I am not a color...

Noriko
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 103

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 06:42:35 AM »

Moving faster than light IS time travel. In the wikipedia link I sent earlier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyonic_antitelephone) this is described for sending signals with tachyons. Person A sends a FTL signal to person B, who sends the signal back to A and the return signal arrives there before A sent the original signal. If you send a person instead of a signal, it's time travel.

A "minor" problem is that this breaks causality and is thus a big no-no.

Arctic Blue Shock LE
Emerald Green Dark Shock
Hot Pink Manticore Staff

Nhylus
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 48

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »

The warp bubble seems plausible if a way to maintain or create one is found. The bubble moves FTL but protects the ship inside of it from traveling through time or ripping into oblivion from the forces at hand.

I do appreciate lightside points haha.

Darth Trie
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2012, 10:09:50 PM »

I don't see a starship. To me it looks more like Yoda's house on Dagobah.

Let them see what's not there.
And feel what does not touch them.
When they no longer trust their senses.
That is the time to strike.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: