Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi: Fallen Order - Spoiler free!  (Read 19630 times)
PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« on: November 15, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »

So I'll be updating this thread but i got to play the first three hours or so of this game last night, and wanted to share my thoughts with y'all. This will be spoiler free (obviously) and can serve as a "should I buy this" guide. It should be noted this is my perspective of the game being  played on the hardest difficulty setting "Grand Master"

First off is the game good? Yes

Fallen Order plays like a mix of Dark Souls and Uncharted. Big action cutsceney setpeices are broken up by combat consisting of dodges, strikes, and parries. I was concerned about difficulty, as many Star Wars games can lend to the easy side of things, but on GM this game is hard, but not unfairly hard. Every time I died, its because I knew I made a mistake instead of bad design, and I like that alot. The parry and dodge windows are short, but effective, and enemies are aggressive and unique (even the stormtroopers are pretty distinct from each other in their actions!)  

The game also has some elements of the Metroidvania genre, certain locations and paths unavailable to you until you unlock the corresponding force ability or tool. The maps are suprisingly large and twisted, certainly being inspired by Dark Souls in this regard, you can absolutely lose yourself trying to find every little secret on a planet. I spent over 2 of my 3 hours of playtime exploring the first planet you find. Investigating every secret, boss, enemy, pathway etc. I returned to my ship and viewed my completion score for that planet. 60% complete, 2/6 secrets discovered. Okay, I have exploring to do here.

Customization wise, I couldnt be happier, Cal, the Mantis (your ship), and BD-1 all have customize able skins/colors, the lightsaber can be cosmetically modified part by part, with new outfits and saber parts being unlocked along thr way. Your codex has a practical purpose in this game - if you die to an enemy alot check you codex! Sometimes it has hints about that enemies behavior that can help you in a fight.

I was really worried about the villains. The Inquisitors thus far have been kind of a joke in canon, and I was concerned the Second and Ninth Sister wouldnt be very intimidating enemies. I was verrrry wrong on that regard, where I havent seen much of the Ninth Sister yet, the Second Sister from the moment shes in the game makes it clear you are not prepared to fight her.

Tone of the game is darker than your average fair. We got on-screen character deaths in 30 minutes or less. Its like Dominoes Pizza for dead friends. This game does benefit from a darker tone, as the setting is far from cheery. The game also very much wants to dabble in the mysteries and arcana of the Force, which I *always* welcome.

Save points are very much like Dark Souls bonfires. You can level up Cal's skills, or rest which restores your hp, healing items, and respawns all non-boss enemies.

Also for all of you saying that Cal's lightsaber looks a lot like it was a saber staff: this (non spoiler) pic from my codex is for you:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:05:49 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 03:24:38 PM »

This games freaking awesome.  I think I've had too much fun putting saber parts together and exploring all the crap I'm not supposed to find yet.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:06:26 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »

Thank you PS! I had a feeling you would have a review up today. Sounds like everything I expected and more. -1

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:06:43 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

GeddaTheHutt
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -195

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 04:08:11 PM »

I have really enjoyed playing the game and has been most fun. All I have to do now is figure out how to get the extra content to work.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:06:58 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sabers owned: Bellicose CG, Aeon V4 BR, Azure Fallen AB, Crimson Dorian Diamond,

Saber wishlist: Lost Gray, Scorpion, Brood Guard, Dominix LE V4, Apprentice V4, Spector, Grandmaster, Domicide, Dark Graflex.

{dark side points please}

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »

Fantastic game! But I was right that my rig is not sufficient...although I meet the minimum specs and some of the recommended, I mostly have 10 FPS in-game. Managed to get to 30 FPS, but I don't remember which settings led to this Undecided
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:07:15 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »

Fantastic game! But I was right that my rig is not sufficient...although I meet the minimum specs and some of the recommended, I mostly have 10 FPS in-game. Managed to get to 30 FPS, but I don't remember which settings led to this Undecided

I played some this morning and I am very happy with this game. In fact, I purchased a new monitor just because the one I have is just not up to what I want to see performance wise.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:07:33 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 04:48:05 PM »

Got it! It was Acronis Active Protection (part of Acronis True Image 2018) which made problems. Added J:FO to the whitelist, and now it's running on 40-60 FPS Grin
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:08:05 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 06:33:23 PM »

Got it! It was Acronis Active Protection (part of Acronis True Image 2018) which made problems. Added J:FO to the whitelist, and now it's running on 40-60 FPS Grin

Congrats on solving your fps problem.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:08:26 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 04:42:41 AM »

Taking my sweet time with this one...may be February before I finish but thats ok.  Can't wait to see what the modding community does with this

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 01:04:05 AM »

Played for about an hour last night. So far I'm having fun. Enjoying the story and gameplay. Hoping I get to play it more before Thanksgiving Break, but I kind of doubt it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 11:51:45 AM »

On Friday night, I played it for 5.5 hours then played it on Saturday for about 8 to 9 hours. Love it

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »

Spoiler-loaded review coming today!

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 06:14:09 PM »

30 hours of gameplay later, I need to revise my first impressions. This game's not amazing...it's incredibly amazing Grin It's huge, it's deep, it has a great story, and it's so fun searching the worlds for all secrets and scans, exploring new places...I'm in Chapter 4, but I think this isn't the end. I still need at least 15-20 hours to finish the story and find all secrets as well as all Origin achievements.

I don't regret pre-ordering this! You really see the difference between EA as a developer and publisher and EA as a sole publisher...

Sig by Master Nero

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 02:22:34 AM »

I like how you can go back and search more, for areas you didn't know how to get to. I'm trying to follow the story arc, but it's too fun to keep at it full time.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 02:16:52 PM »

Meanwhile im working toward that 100% on Grandmaster...Ilum, Dathomir, and Bogano I have 100% explored all chests & secrets. Now just for Kashyyyk and the absolute monster of a map that is Zeffo

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: