Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: What is a Lightsaber to you?  (Read 6521 times)
Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« on: July 04, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »

Simple enough question as that.

In NY Jedi, whenever one of us is feeling the urge to wax philosophic, we generally ask this question. The correct answer usually depends on the point the instructor is making, and the answers from the students are normally as varied.

Some will say "it's a killing weapon." Others will say "it's a prop, a toy to amuse ourselves and others when we use it". The question has no real answer, only true ones.

My question to you is what does it mean to you? This also leads into the question of "Why are you here, doing lightsaber combat?"

To me, the Lightsaber is a symbol (I'm a Jungian Psychologist. OF COURSE I THINK IT'S A SYMBOL). It is a symbol of skill for both the light side and the dark side. A lightsaber is an ungainly weapon that is more likely to kill it's user than it's opponent. To wield one correctly means dedication, training, and trust in the force. To carry one is to say "I am allowed to hold this, for the Force is my Ally/Tool."

What are your thoughts?

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »

My lightsaber is a symbol to me as well. To me it is a symbol of my struggle with the dark side. It is a symbol of my dedication to my Faith. It is a tool for me to reach people. It is a weapon with which I can defend the weak. It is a reminder that my real sword lies in the Spirit, and a tool for me to get my body soul and mind in harmony.

My lightsaber is an anchor, a sail, and a rudder. Holds me to my beliefs, pushes me to my limits, and steers me away from danger.

It's silly because most people see my blade as a toy. I see it as much much more.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:32:12 PM »

In one of the books someone asks a young obi wan kenobi something very similar.

He asks "what is the power of a lightsaber"

Obi wan's answer is that it can cut through anything

Dexter replies thats what he thought as well, untill he saw a young jedi ignight his lightsaber, and inspire a town to stand up for itself against a criminal orgianization.

I think thats really it, a lightsaber is inspiration. For us they cant cut through anything, and though in creating martial forms for them, we do treat them with the respect a weapon is deserving of. But its the inspiration they give us that is the real power of a lightsaber. To work out more, to better ourselves, to give us an ideal to attempt to hold ourselves to.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »

But isn't that just the thing about a lightsaber? It CAN cut through anything... fear, doubt, hate, bigotry. It is a light in the darkness, a beacon of hope. With mine I've raised a couple thousand dollars for The American Cancer Society and shared a little inspiration with people young and old. A lightsaber really is what it does, I suppose.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »

I guess I was waxing a little TOO philosophic when I asked that.

To reframe (but not to dismiss the original question, I like good philosophy): Why a lightsaber? Why not just study real weaponry? What does a lightsaber mean to you that makes you want to fight with it.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Long Live The Fighters

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »

Well, studying real weaponry in my area, has some problems.

#1  I cant just go into my back yard and start practicing, people would call the cops because they are ignorant of the actual letter of the law.

#2 Sparring with the lightsabers is a heck of a lot safer than sparring with actual bladed weapons

#3 martial arts in winnipeg...sucks, as in really sucks, its all commercialized garbage where you have to spend so much time and money with the club before they even hand you a practice weapon.

#4 with my schedule, i usually cant practice till after my son is in bed, meaning its dark out, the sabers provide their own light, so i have no issues there

"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:55:46 PM »

A big glowy stick Cheesy

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Snark Jedi

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »

A big glowy stick Cheesy

*snerk* Yes. On a side note, I've used the damn thing to get into my house later at night from classes. I named my Jedi character "Rave". When people asked me, I said "I'm a DJ and I carry a giant glowing stick...duh?"

Long Live The Fighters

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »

NIce, points for that answer. Wish i had my sabers back when i was into the local rave scene 10 years ago lol.

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »

Lightsabers are friendly to your average joe... swords are not.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »

Not to mention that a lightsaber is essentially sword MMA... It's a blend of every sword discipline ever. So it makes for a very dynamic discipline to master. A fencer spars with fencers, a Kendo practitioner spars against other kendo practitioners. Lightsaber duelists spar against every type of sword discipline.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 10:09:17 PM »

Sword MMA, I like that look at it.

NO spandex and ground humping ever though. Seriously someone trys to spar with me while wearin speedos and ill break out the real swords.

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 12:59:31 AM »

To me, it is a legacy.  I watched a fan film where a young kid watches his Jedi friend killed in Order 66 and his lightsaber is shot during the malee.  The kid keeps the saber and then works his entire life to rebuild it.  Once it is back working, he tells his friends, "When Darth Vader ignites his lightsaber, planets surrender.  I only want people to fight back.  This is the symbol they will rally behind.  The legacy of the man that defended us against the droids so many years ago." 

My fondest memories of childhood involved Star Wars.  Now, I am a father and I want my sabers to be something she can hold years later after I have joined the Force.  I want her to say, "This kept me safe during thunderstorms.  It gave me light when I got scared of the darkness.  My father loved this as much as he loved me and now I will carry this to keep my children and theirs safe for years to come."

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 01:14:02 AM »

There are so many ways to answer this question for me personally, not to mention each of the answers that you all provide. But I will attempt to answer this as best as I can.

Why a lightsaber??

If you want to look at things realistically, well I guess the common sense answer is that because as opposed to scheduled classes and additional expenses, it's much cheaper. As stated before, it's safer than real weapons.

Up until recently, I enjoyed being in the front. In the military, I was a leader. At work, I try to lead as much as possible. I try to stand up and be the one to ask the questions and seek answers, as I know that there are others out there who are too afraid or are unable to do so for themselves.

A lightsaber allows me to step back into that role. How? Simple: It's very rarely seen and even less done. When it is, you are noticed immediately. A lightsaber is an icon. A symbol.

My symbol:

The lightsaber stands for many things for me. I have a lot of personal issues that I am trying to work through. As I have said before, if I were a Jedi, I would have fallen long ago. The lightsaber lights my way and gives me something to focus on. When I practice and I feel good about something I have done, I'm proud of myself. Much more proud than I have been in a long time. I'm focused, determined, aggressive, and passionate.

For me, the lightsaber symbolizes life.

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

kj132
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 02:02:39 AM »

i awnsered he same question on the saberwars forums. i guess ill say it again, a light saber is a weapon that can be both viewed as a toy... but also a work of art.

grab bag blue liberator- guardian blue

"Remember: abilities are not inherently good or evil, it's how you use them."
―Kyle Katarn

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: