Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘Big Trouble In Little China’ Remake To Star Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson  (Read 3880 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: June 02, 2015, 12:35:50 AM »

By Jeff Carter

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson continues to be one of Hollywood’s most successful and highly sought after action stars in his post-wrestling career. Earlier this Spring he returned to play Hobbs in the latest installment of the juggernaut Fast & Furious franchise, Furious 7; and he just struck some big box office gold with his latest starring role in the blockbuster disaster movie San Andreas. In addition to these massive films, Johnson is keeping his schedule loaded with his HBO original series Ballers (debuting later this month); lending his vocal talents to the Disney animated film Moana, playing Black Adam in his first DC Comics superhero movie, Shazam; and gearing up to star in a Guardians Of The Galaxy-esque sci-fi action/comedy called Alpha Squad Seven.

Now, Johnson is in talks to climb aboard the remake train and star in a John Carpenter cult classic from the 1980s – one that has a devoted following among martial arts movie fans, horror buffs, and fans of weird and wild action cinema of the decade of excess.

According to The Wrap, Johnson is currently in negotiations with 20th Century Fox to step into Kurt Russell’s role as Jack Burton in a remake of the 1986 cult classic sci-fi/martial arts film Big Trouble In Little China. A huge Big Trouble In Little China fan himself, Johnson and his producing partners Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia reportedly pitched the remake idea to the studio, which will feature a screenplay by X-Men: First Class writers Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz.

Originally released in the summer of 1986 (alongside Aliens and The Fly, among others), Big Trouble grossed only $11 million in theaters and quickly faded away, but thanks to the home video market – and a spot in rotation on HBO – the film gained new life and a passionate fan base. Big Trouble‘s ongoing popularity has spawned clothing, Funko Re-Action figures, midnight and “classic run” screenings in theaters, a new ongoing comic book series from BOOM! Studios (cowritten by John Carpenter), and even a parody video of “Gangnam Style,” re-titled “Lo-Pan Style,” of course.

If you’re unfamiliar with the flick, Kurt Russell plays Jack Burton, the mulleted, fast-talking driver of the Pork Chop Express (an 18-wheeler hauling pigs). A stop in San Francisco’s Chinatown sees his friend’s wife abducted by members of a street gang known as the Lords Of Death – errand boys for a larger and more powerful organization with ties to an ancient Chinese warrior sect. The heroes soon find themselves in the middle of a heated battle filled with mystical creatures – including the mysterious leader, Lo-Pan, an 11-foot tall Chinese sorcerer.

One of the film’s best features is the inversion of classic ’80s action tropes, transforming the traditional, unstoppable, ultra-macho hero into a bumbling fish-out-of-water who thinks he’s saved by anything more than dumb luck. John Carpenter said it best: “This is a movie about a guy who thinks he’s the Action Hero when he’s really the comic sidekick.”

There’s no doubt the comedic aspects of Big Trouble In Little China are what appeals to Dwayne Johnson and suits his set of talents, but it’s going to be a tremendous challenge for whoever steps in to direct the film; capturing the energy and the weirdness of the original won’t be easy film. Not to mention balancing competent use of horror, mysticism, slapstick comedy, and a heavy dose of top-notch martial arts.

Still, if anyone can channel Jack Burton’s bumbling braggadocio, it’s The Rock. It would be refreshing to see the musclebound Johnson get upstaged by a smaller, more acrobatic partner for once. Of course, today’s state-of-the-art CGI effects would add a new dimension of spectacle to lighting and thunder-wielding characters like “The Three Storms,” and with martial-arts choreography and stunt work in movies like The Raid, the fighting sequences between the Wing Kong and the Chang-Sings could be truly fast-paced and brutal.

And, since most of the film’s stars – Kim Catrall, Kurt Russell, and James Hong – are still around, perhaps they could make an appearance to satisfy long time Big Trouble fans? We’ll have to watch the progress on this remake closely and find out.

What do you think about a Big Trouble In Little China remake?

Sauce: http://screenrant.com/big-trouble-little-china-remake-dwayne-the-rock-johnson/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:40:26 AM »

I never would have thought something like that would get remade.  It intrigues me, but what made the original so good was rediculousness and corniness that could only happen in an 80's film.  It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Inzane
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 30

Light side points please.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 01:44:46 AM »

No.

Just, no.

Aeon v3 (BR, 32" MG)
Dominix LE v4 w/ sound (SRD w/ AB FoC, 32" UE)
Dark Initiate LE v3 (BR, 24" UE)
Initiate LE v3 (GB, 24" UE)

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:04:00 AM »

This is a cult classic.

When cult classics get remade or given a sequel years later, it INVARIABLY winds up sucking.

Pass.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 02:50:31 AM »

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:20:06 AM »

Intriguing.  I agree with most here you can't remake this, it'll be a poor copy cat not a remake. 

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 02:04:04 PM »

I agree. This is one of those movies that is what it is. Never to be replicated or redone. I think Russell was probably the main ingredient that made that movie so popular. It's like how would we react if someone decided that the original trilogy needed a reboot. That's right...there would be blood in the streets.

Now on the other hand, I've seen some successful reboots. (Nothing comes to mind right now, but I know they exist.) They may simply take the baseline premise and do an otherwise completely original movie. If done properly, I think a good reboot doesn't try to unwrite its predecessor, it merely puts a new spin on an old idea. That's what I loved about the new Star Treks. It successfully started a whole new take on the story, without destroying the roots. But that's also probably because ST can always pull off time travel.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 10:37:30 PM »

Keep the Rock away from Big Trouble.

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 12:39:49 AM »

I don't want to talk about it.....I am still upset over the Point Break remake trailer I saw during San Andreas  Cry     I don't want to live on this planet any more
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:48:47 AM by Duff Man » Logged

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 01:09:09 AM »

I don't want to talk about it.....I am still upset over the Point Break remake trailer I saw during San Andreas  Cry     I don't want to live on this planet any more

WHAT?! NO! I love the original, it needs nothing.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Mastarius
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -32

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 01:16:39 AM »

I rarely believe remakes can succeed.

I know there are remakes that are good like Total Recall, Dredd, the latest Star Trek movies and Nightmare on Elm Street.

I know there are bad one like the new Friday the 13th, the Halloween remakes by rob zombie and I've heard a few bad things about Robocop.

I know a remake has potential to bring a story older generations are familiar with to the newer generations but they need the right cast and need to be made well but I don't see the Rock being a good casting decision.

I liked him G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation even though those G.I. Joe movies aren't the best, I liked him in the Fast, Furious movies even though I don't like the direction those movies are headed and the Scorpion King movie was awesome but it just feels like they thought: "Oh this won't do well without a big name action star, who's still doing movies?"

Basically like what they were thinking with Bruce Willis and The Rock when they were casting G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation. :T

Also even as a fan I'd be ok if they remade Star Wars Episodes I, II & III but I'd like to see them do it with The Clone Wars animation and cast, heck I was hoping that was how they were going to end that series.

Dark Side Points please~!

Sabers Owned:
Dominix LE V3 in Sunrider's Destiny
Raven in Fire Orange

Sabers Wanted:
Scorpion in Fire Orange
Raven in Blazing Red
Scorpion in Blazing Red

Inzane
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 30

Light side points please.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 01:45:35 AM »

I liked him G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation

Basically like what they were thinking with Bruce Willis and The Rock when they were casting G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation. :T

I thought the Rock was ok in GI Joe, but....  He sure wasn't the Roadblock we knew and loved from the Marvel comics and Sunbow cartoons.  He was just generic action guy, not much different than his character from Furious 5-7.

Also even as a fan I'd be ok if they remade Star Wars Episodes I, II & III

I'd be ok if they wiped those episodes from existence.  (I have to agree with most of Plinkett's and HelloGreedo's criticisms.)   In fact I would have a good laugh at George if Disney decided one day that the prequels were no longer canon.   Grin

Aeon v3 (BR, 32" MG)
Dominix LE v4 w/ sound (SRD w/ AB FoC, 32" UE)
Dark Initiate LE v3 (BR, 24" UE)
Initiate LE v3 (GB, 24" UE)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »

I know a remake has potential to bring a story older generations are familiar with to the newer generations but they need the right cast and need to be made well but I don't see the Rock being a good casting decision.

I just don't think that the Rock has the character persona to pull off Jack. Maybe someone like Brad Pitt or Brendan Fraser. Someone that doesn't fit the "strength-induced-hero" mold, but can also be a little goofy and not have you rolling your eyes. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will ever be able to do it better than Kurt.

Also even as a fan I'd be ok if they remade Star Wars Episodes I, II & III but I'd like to see them do it with The Clone Wars animation and cast, heck I was hoping that was how they were going to end that series.

Yes they were a travesty. But what would you do about all the great lit that came out based on them?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 04:53:43 PM »

I think Egg Shen said it best.

https://youtu.be/tyYyXWeZxSU

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: