Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: HENRY CAVILL LEAVING SUPERMAN?  (Read 11231 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 01:37:44 PM »

I tried it for a few episodes. I think the fact that I know how it's going to go doesn't help. Gordon won't clean up Gotham, because it takes Batman to do that.

Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 50

Use your moments of weakness to find your power.

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »

Gotham started out slow but it is getting better and it's entertaining, which is why you watch anything.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It is VERY slow to pick up. I have to say by season 3 it found its footing but I get people don't want to wait that long for something to become interesting especially with all the good shows available these days. Still the first two seasons had enough there to keep my interest because I liked a few of the characters and wanted to see how they progressed. Penguin for instance is one of my faves. Also I love Barbara Gordon's crazy lol

Bruh, this isn't even my final form.

(I like my force like I like my checkbook...balanced)

Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »

I tried it for a few episodes. I think the fact that I know how it's going to go doesn't help. Gordon won't clean up Gotham, because it takes Batman to do that.

I don't know about that! Batman has been trying to clean up Gotham for as long as Jim has. Even had to train a new Batman (Batman Beyond) when he got too old to do it! Lol

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2018, 02:05:39 PM »

I don't know about that! Batman has been trying to clean up Gotham for as long as Jim has. Even had to train a new Batman (Batman Beyond) when he got too old to do it! Lol

Heh, yeah, good point. He does take down organized crime bosses, but new ones take their place. Either way, Jim Gordon won't do it before Bruce dons the cape and cowl. That's why the city needs Batman in the first place.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2018, 03:57:22 PM »

I have the same problem with Gotham I had with Smallville.  Trying to set up a rogues gallery BEFORE the Hero even appears...just doesn't work for me.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »

As the old saying goes, a hero is only as good as their villain. Yes, we want to see the heroes win, but a credible villain will push the hero to the limit, making their triumph all the more satisfying when it happens.

With Thanos, we have had 17 movies with the heroes, getting to know them and their personalities, foibles, quirks and passions. That's why they could afford to spend large parts of IW focussing on Thanos; we need to build him up as a credible opposition to all the heroes, as well as justify the super long build up to having him properly appear in a movie.

I agree with Joker though. That's one of the main reasons I don't watch Gotham (a Batman show without Batman).

I love Marvel and the MCU but I want DC to succeed as I love those characters too. Plus, more great comic book movies can only be a good thing.

As I said before, the MCU started at the right time. It was bad timing for DC though as they were still finishing up the Nolan Bat trilogy. However, rather than make a movie, see if it's successful and then decide to make another, they could have (quietly and in the background) planned out their entire slate or phases. Once Nolan had finished the Bat trilogy, they could have announced the first movie in the line-up and THEN, if the movie was good, announce the general plan going forward.

Kevin Feige is a master at working the press to his advantage and engaging with the fandom. Which is part of the reason fans have so much faith in the direction of the MCU; we know it is leading somewhere. They have so much goodwill that even movies that come out are judged to only be a moderate success (like Antman & the Wasp) people are still eager to see the next two, three, four movies that are coming out. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said with the DC movies.

DC's run of films were great 20 + years ago. Back then, Marvel was struggling with Howard the Duck and the very first Punisher (even though I like this movie).  The Hulk and Avenger series was okay but left a lot to be desired in my opinion.  They didn't really make leeway until the Blade trilogies and then decided to pursue the Hulk and learned from their mistakes.

Marvel's new formula was planned out ahead of time and started with Iron Man in 2008 to introduce main and supporting characters like Nick Fury, Hawk eye, and Black Widow.  They then ventured into introducing the other characters like Thor, War Machine, the new Hulk, and Captain America before getting into the first Avengers which was the 6th movie in the MCU and the end of Phase 1.  

Unlike Marvel, DC started with Man of Steel, then Batman vs Superman and introduce Wonder Woman who just showed up before briefly launching the Wonder Woman movie followed by The Justice League after teasing characters like Cyborg, Aquaman, and the Flash briefly in Batman vs. Superman. Now, the Aquaman movie is coming out late this year while the individual Batman, Flash, Green Lantern and Cyborg movies are going to be released years after with no current time frame.

You can tell that they were rushed and they tried to follow Marvel's formula which didn't work well for them. Their current universe is a big mess with each movie leaving a lot to be desired minus the Wonder Man movie.  This is just my opinion of course, I did enjoy Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman and the Justice League on their own and hope that the DCEU will succeed.  Just as a whole, its a big mess and they really need to start their own formula and make movies without the dark night time vibes (which gives me the impression that day time doesn't exist), like they've been doing.  They really need to take the time to develop these character arcs since it did take Marvel 10 years to being out Infinity Wars and Thanos to the big screen while teasing this story line over the last 17 movies.

It is VERY slow to pick up. I have to say by season 3 it found its footing but I get people don't want to wait that long for something to become interesting especially with all the good shows available these days. Still the first two seasons had enough there to keep my interest because I liked a few of the characters and wanted to see how they progressed. Penguin for instance is one of my faves. Also I love Barbara Gordon's crazy lol

The Marvel shows on Netflix are the same, it took a while to build the character arc of each show in order to give the audience and non-comic book readers a glimpse of the character's past.  I think the most painful ones are Iron Fist and Jessica Jones since it took 4 episodes for Danny to prove his identity in Iron Fist and I didn't care much for Jessica's character arc, it was really slow going, even worse than the other three shows.  

With that said, I may start watching Gotham again since you mention that it will eventually get good.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2018, 10:10:21 PM »

I have the same problem with Gotham I had with Smallville.  Trying to set up a rogues gallery BEFORE the Hero even appears...just doesn't work for me.

Ah, yes, that was the other thing. I saw somewhere yesterday where they had the Joker on the show. Sorry, I can't do it. Yeah, that bugged me with Smallville too. Well, that and everyone seeing that Clark Kent had super powers. I'm pretty sure they'd be able to put two and two together when both Clark and Superman showed up in Metropolis.

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 09:20:19 PM »

I've been reading rumors that they are considering Michael B. Jordan to replace Henry Cavill. Thoughts?

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2018, 09:26:50 PM »

I've been reading rumors that they are considering Michael B. Jordan to replace Henry Cavill. Thoughts?

Personally, I'd say no. Besides the fact that I just like Cavill in the role too much, I feel like Jordan wouldn't fit as Supes.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2018, 10:05:58 PM »

The reporting on this has been incorrect. Michael.B Jordan's name was on a shortlist of actors before they made the decision to cast Henry Cavill in Man of Steel. MJB is not in current discussion to take on the role if Cavill does indeed leave.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2018, 10:22:55 PM »

What are your thoughts on it?

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2018, 11:05:21 PM »

What are your thoughts on it?

Being that I'm not really into Superman, I just thought it was an interesting choice since I've only seen him play a bad guy. The man is in seriously good shape, so he could definitely fill out the suit. I think it would be interesting to see if we live in a time where a black Superman would be accepted or not. I feel like were going to be seeing more minorities cast in traditionally white roles. I just hope it's because the actors truly serve the roles, and not just some forced attempt to be "progressive".

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 12:25:55 AM »

Being that I'm not really into Superman, I just thought it was an interesting choice since I've only seen him play a bad guy. The man is in seriously good shape, so he could definitely fill out the suit. I think it would be interesting to see if we live in a time where a black Superman would be accepted or not. I feel like were going to be seeing more minorities cast in traditionally white roles. I just hope it's because the actors truly serve the roles, and not just some forced attempt to be "progressive".

I've never been the biggest Superman fan either, but from what I understand, on Earth-2, the superman is Val-Zod, who is black, and that is most likely who they'd go with if Jordan was cast. I do not think very many people would be okay with Kal-El being black. Honestly, I wouldn't want Kal -El to be black, but that is not because I have anything against black people, it is more of just when I watch a superhero movie, I want the characters to be exactly like I know them from the books (which I know is very hard to do, but that is still what I want), and because of that, I would have a problem with a black Kal-El. I hope that didn't offend anyone, I tried to word it so that it wouldn't. If I did, I apologize.

The reporting on this has been incorrect. Michael.B Jordan's name was on a shortlist of actors before they made the decision to cast Henry Cavill in Man of Steel. MJB is not in current discussion to take on the role if Cavill does indeed leave.

Thanks for that tidbit. I too have seen the rumors, but didn't know how much truth there was to them. It's always interesting to me that people can look up stuff and not see the date when it was written.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 12:37:49 AM »

I think an actor should get the role based on talent. With Superman, you want someone tall and they either have to be a beefcake, or go the Christopher Reeve route and go on a serious weight regimen. Skin color and nationality shouldn't matter. Superman is a fictional character and can be whatever you want him to be.

I personally liked Michael B. Jordan in Black Panther and think he could pull off a great Superman, even if that was just a rumor. He certainly meets the basic criteria I laid out above for Superman. He's a couple inches shorter than Superman is in the comics, but so is Dean Cain. Christopher Reeve was actually taller than Superman was in the comics. So, he's well within that leeway area. And, he's certainly a beefcake and no stranger to action roles.

Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 01:10:39 AM »

Those comic books were written at a time when black representation in any format was extremely limited. Sorry but it's a fictional character and they change storylines and origins all the time depending on the universe. This focus on skin color and gender is getting a little out of hand. Other races and genders like to see themselves pictured in things as well. These characters are fictional so they're versatile and changeable as times change with them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: