Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Choosing/Developing a form that best fits you.  (Read 4631 times)
AA-Battery
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

The light side (points) always wins!

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »

Does anyone know of any good videos for me? Im buying my first saber in a few months and am iching to learn. I still dont know what all forms are good for, but suresu seems pretty close to me as I always hang back and wait for an opening in their defenses.

Owned: LE phantom V3 CG with/without obsidian

Want: SS Raven BR quick disconnect-(with AB) obsidian red AV
          Yari pike (x3)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »

Does anyone know of any good videos for me? Im buying my first saber in a few months and am iching to learn. I still dont know what all forms are good for, but suresu seems pretty close to me as I always hang back and wait for an opening in their defenses.

Check out the TPLA videos, specifically the ones on Shii-Cho to start.  Here's a link to the playlist for that Form:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL89FD30F9F512416E&feature=plcp

It's the best choice for someone starting out with this kind of instruction.

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 11:41:35 PM »

Check out the TPLA videos, specifically the ones on Shii-Cho to start.  Here's a link to the playlist for that Form:

Definitely this.  I made the mistake of trying to start out with Djem So, and now I'm having to re-learn a bunch of stuff.  I'll certainly focus more on Djem So in the future, but getting the basics down from Shii-Cho definitely are helping a lot!

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 01:21:12 AM »

Definitely this.  I made the mistake of trying to start out with Djem So, and now I'm having to re-learn a bunch of stuff.  I'll certainly focus more on Djem So in the future, but getting the basics down from Shii-Cho definitely are helping a lot!

It really does help, Shii-Cho is meant to be the most basic of techniques (whereas more advanced Forms such as Djem So take those basics and add various types of tactics to expand them).

AA-Battery
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 01:50:53 AM »

Thanks! I'll be sure to check that out. Does anyone know of any nova scotian (Canadian) teachers? I learn best through hands on if I have someone telling me what I'm doing wrong.

Yari pike (x3)

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 01:51:44 AM »

Thanks! I'll be sure to check that out. Does anyone know of any nova scotian (Canadian) teachers? I learn best through hands on if I have someone telling me what I'm doing wrong.

Where in NS are you?Huh? I'm south shore about an hour from Yarmouth

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

AA-Battery
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 11:22:58 AM »

Halifax. South shore being where? I don't get out much. Then again, I suppose a $500 lightsaber purchase is pretty self explanatory! xD

Yari pike (x3)

Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 10:20:08 PM »

I want to echo this statement. I started there. I recommend it even if you have a great deal of martial arts or sword fighting experience.

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

Khalis Artel
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

"A Man is born as many men but dies a single one"

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »

You just made a huge mistake in giving me a reason to pontificate about my own saber-study.
When I began I hated all the forms I was being taught (mainly because it was harder to win; the saber group I was in was a more theatrical fighting group and their styles were built accordingly), until I hit djem so... though their djem so had no corresponding defenses or guards that went with the attacks. Even so, I rose in skill and emphasized in overwhelming an opponent with attacks; looking back now and I feel my approach (and anakin's, which I had based my fighting off of) was an amalgam of Form IV and V, with no defensive skill whatsoever. I was good at killing but not avoiding reprisal.

Initally I made the mistake of claiming it as my sole focus; once I realized my defense was my lacking sphere, I focused on bringing my Soresu skills up to par with my Djem so. Ever since, I've continued expanding my fighting style and the tactics I use, all in an effort to become unstoppable and indestructible. So far I'm only at relentless and resilient but I digress. I further expanded my form when I finally got up and admitted that I was short and needed to deal with it when I was fighting; I bought a longer blade, and have created some techniques to both push on-rushing (bigger) opponents away and maintain my defensive sphere while closing distance.

That right there might be where you should begin; list out your strengths and weaknesses to yourself (in my opinion, if you can't do this, you will never be able to move very far in fighting skill) and see what style emphasizes those strengths OR helps you address or utilize your weaknesses. I have a student that just started who has a physical condition that effectively reduces her strength and endurance by a fair bit; but she is very flexible and very quick on her feet. We're emphasizing Soresu, Makashi, and Shien for her training regimen, to help found a tactical approach we think works for her; this lets her utilize her flexibility while defending and waiting for the opportunity to either turn an enemy's attack into itself or exploit an opening in the enemy's fighting style.

So yeah. hope that helps some. Just remember whatever you study, in the words of Myiamoto Musashi, "make it your own".

Embrace Emotion; Seek Peace.
Accept Ignorance; Crave Knowledge.
Understand Passion; Desire Serenity.
Perceive Chaos; Find Harmony.
Accept Death; Seek the Force.

yudiminoursun
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 02:20:14 AM »

Hello all,
i get out of the way (of the saber).  Listen to the art that informs practice. Through regular training, other forms will begin to speak to you,
perhaps not all at once or all together, but they will.

By getting out of the idea of what to study one brings understanding that deepens in the act of cultivation.

force on..
Sun

The way is in training.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: