Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Review: SD Archon GB Guardian and BR Bellicose.  (Read 7001 times)
Xavier Temple
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 17

Not all masks hide darkness...

« on: May 18, 2012, 06:59:51 AM »

Hi everyone,

I did a quick review of my Guardian when I got it a few weeks ago, but now my Girlfriend and I have two more sabers, so I will review them all together.

We got a blade plug with our order, and a covertec clip, so if I ever want to wear one, I can.  The Blade plug makes the hilts look pretty cool, I took lit and unlit pics of each of them:

The new sabres came with 4 spare LI batteries and 2 spare socket retention screws.  All of them have mid-grade blades.

The Guardian:

In Guardian Blue.  It is the heaviest of the 3 hilts, the long pommel makes the sound effects more resonant, so I have uploaded a low obsidian set to accentuate this.  The metal shroud does not line up perfectly on the black cylinder under it which means the pommel does not fit perfectly flush which is a bit of a pain, but the quality of everything else means I am not too worried.  The guardian has a socket type retention screw which I really like.  I find the pommel digs into my arm a bit when spinning it, it is quite spiky!

The Archon:

In Sunriders Destiny.  It is my girlfriend's sabre.  We requested the blade to be slightly shorter and she finds this a good length.  We are wrestling with a good sound effect collection for it, but that is fun in itself.  It seems to be the loudest of the 3 sabres.  It has an unpleasant wobble in the hilt when swung, the hilt is made of multiple sections, and where they screw together has some play.  If other people have found this and know of a good way to tighten the threads I would really appreciate it! To clarify, the sections are screwed tight, but the threads have slight movement when swung.  She really loves the colour, turquoise is very much her colour.  This hilt has a set screw for a retention screw, the socket type is too short to reach the blade.

The Bellicose:

Blazing red sith-y goodness.  This is the lightest of the 3 hilts, I was really surprised, it always looked like a big heavy one like the Guardian.  I love the slick lines of this sabre, and am glad I got a red AV switch with it.  Having a set screw retention screw rather than the socket screw I used would help the smooth lines, but since I change the blades so often, I will stick with the socket.  I am playing with the sound on this, wanting a higher pitched, aggressive sound set.  I got this hilt with quick disconnects.  If Ultrasabers ever does a Vader hilt like they have the Graflex, I would make this hilt a Consular Green saber.   The Bellicose is my favourite of the 3 for spinning, though the Guardian feels more solid and sword-like.

We are in two minds about ordering a pair of heavy grade blades, we are pounding the mid grades, but things seem fine for now.

We had a lot of CRC errors while playing with the soundfonts, and discovered we got a CRC error whenever we used a Novastar font, that was weird.

Pictures!

The Hilts

In full light

In the dark

Overall I really love these sabres, and am having a blast with them!  Thank you Ultrasabers!  Grin

Light side points please!

CrazyJoeMalloy
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 03:46:28 PM »

Regarding the wobble - I wonder if teflon tape would do the job?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

Akos_Amun
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

I am the Hidden One, the White Falcon

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »

they look amazing! the guardian and the bellicose are both on my wish list Smiley

I wouldn't worry too much about the midgrades, they can handle themselves, but this thread has some good info on the different blade types http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=6819.0

Hope you get to have lots of fun with your sabers!

[‾๐‾‾]▦[ooo]▦ị[]ị /RGB Prophecy CE
[))___(___o)_|:)):]GB Liberator V2
((__((>_o_)>(_(_(_(_|_)_)_)_)<(_o_<))__))BR Phantom LE V3
[=[[[[[[[_(_o_( (o(( (\∟[PO][VA][DVA][SRD][SY] Bellicose*
[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__]GB Aeon LE
( ]>|:|:|<( o )|]:[||GB Monarch CE*
*sound
http://chancesofrain.blogspot.c

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 02:26:03 AM »

Nice collection. Sorry to hear about the Archon though. You can always email US and they will take care of it for you. A font for the Archon, stock Obsidian power on and off, Old Republic Jedi motion, impact, idle, and lock up. Bellicose, Blackstar power on, off, and idle, then Sith motion, impact, and lock up. For the Guardian, Yoda power on, off, and idle, Old Republic Jedi motion, impact, and lock up. Just thought I'd help.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Xavier Temple
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:15:30 AM »

Nice collection. Sorry to hear about the Archon though. You can always email US and they will take care of it for you. A font for the Archon, stock Obsidian power on and off, Old Republic Jedi motion, impact, idle, and lock up. Bellicose, Blackstar power on, off, and idle, then Sith motion, impact, and lock up. For the Guardian, Yoda power on, off, and idle, Old Republic Jedi motion, impact, and lock up. Just thought I'd help.

I have tried those sound setups, thanks for the tips! I think I have settled for a sound scheme for the bellicose now. :-)

Xavier Temple
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »

Regarding the wobble - I wonder if teflon tape would do the job?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

I have tried some masking tape in the absence of fancy teflon stuff.  It helps a little, thank you! :-)

Xavier Temple
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:18:37 AM »

I am noticing quite a few scuff marks on the sabre blades.  I have seen people on the forums speak about using 1000 grit sandpaper on their blades, is that to clean off the marks?

CrazyJoeMalloy
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »

I have tried some masking tape in the absence of fancy teflon stuff.  It helps a little, thank you! :-)

Glad to be of service - not sure if teflon stuff will work better but it should be available at just about any hardware store in the plumbing section.

zabrak123
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »

beautiful sabers there, and nice review, but just wondering, how do you get the blade plugs out??

Akos_Amun
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

I am the Hidden One, the White Falcon

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 02:03:07 AM »

they are made just like the blades, in fact it's a little metal disc put in one end of a piece of polycarbonate blade. The blades are held in by retention screws (either one or sometimes two) and when you take it out you can, if you have one, put in a blade plug. It stays in exactly like the blades by tightening the retention screw(s). To remove it, you very simply loosen the screw(s). It's super SUPER easy, so i hope you haven't been fretting over it.

[‾๐‾‾]▦[ooo]▦ị[]ị /RGB Prophecy CE
[))___(___o)_|:)):]GB Liberator V2
((__((>_o_)>(_(_(_(_|_)_)_)_)<(_o_<))__))BR Phantom LE V3
[=[[[[[[[_(_o_( (o(( (\∟[PO][VA][DVA][SRD][SY] Bellicose*
[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__]GB Aeon LE
( ]>|:|:|<( o )|]:[||GB Monarch CE*
*sound
http://chancesofrain.blogspot.c

zabrak123
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:48:12 AM »

thats a relief hahah, nah i havent been fretting over it, i was just very confused about it but it seems the answer is simple, i ordered a bellicose the other day with a blade plug, and i think the plug looks bauws Cheesy cant wait

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 03:38:36 AM »

Great sabers, and some very pretty pics.  I especially love the Bellicose in BR... that hilt can just go any way really!

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 04:39:39 AM »

The guardian is a great saber, so well balanced. You get used to the pommel though

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Rash
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »

How do you switch out the LED's on the Bellicose? Does it just slide out without the blade holder in it?

Consular: Pyrestone

Light Side Points please Cheesy

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »

How do you switch out the LED's on the Bellicose? Does it just slide out without the blade holder in it?

I'm pretty sure you have to take the blade holder out to pop the MLS unit out, but I could be wrong.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: