Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Rumor: KOTOR movie planned?  (Read 659 times)
Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« on: May 28, 2019, 06:29:12 AM »

I'm on the fence: A KOTOR movie would be cool but I'm not sure whether this would 'spoil' my memories of the game...

https://www.slashfilm.com/knights-of-the-old-republic-movie/

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »

Who's to say a KOTOR film will be an actual adaptation of the games? That era of Star Wars has plenty of scope for new story telling ideas. And if fandom has shown anything, it's that they can (occasionally) get a bid rabid when properties they love are adapted from one medium into film/television.

Also, given the feelings of some sections of fandom right now towards the franchise, I don't think adapting some of their more beloved characters into film would be a good idea. I know lots of fans would love to see Malak and Revan on screen. But, if Lucas Film did that and then the portrayal and story didn't live up to the high expectations, I think some sections of the fandom would never forgive them.

I know in the grand scheme of things, fandom accounts for a very small percentage of the movie going audience, but if you're the type of person who engages in any form of online chat on sites and forums, you can just imagine the kind of negative backlash a film adaptation that was less than perfect would receive.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »

Doesn't have to be perfect...just not change the characters or story so much its unrecognizable. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2790

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »

I read that this weekend. I do hope that it is true and it doesn't have to follow the game in my opinion, I will be happy to see another trilogy with modern day technology but I do hope that they don't rely everything on CGI since I'm a fan of physical props.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »

Doesn't have to be perfect...just not change the characters or story so much its unrecognizable. 
That's kind of my point. If they do anything with those characters or the story from the game there will be fans who are unhappy with it. Not saying you in particular, just certain fans in general.

As I said, I think it would be far better and safer to create new characters and a new story in that era. Plenty of scope depending if they're talking 1000 year ago, 3000 years ago, 5000 years ago.

I read that this weekend. I do hope that it is true and it doesn't have to follow the game in my opinion, I will be happy to see another trilogy with modern day technology but I do hope that they don't rely everything on CGI since I'm a fan of physical props.
Well the newer movies have done a good job of seamlessly blending practical effects with CGI, so I don't see why they would stop that trend now.

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »

That's kind of my point. If they do anything with those characters or the story from the game there will be fans who are unhappy with it. Not saying you in particular, just certain fans in general.

As I said, I think it would be far better and safer to create new characters and a new story in that era. Plenty of scope depending if they're talking 1000 year ago, 3000 years ago, 5000 years ago.

My mind goes back and forth since reading that article Wink

First I was your opinion, then (at time of posting) I thought 'Wouldn't they just call it "The Old Republic" in that case?' and now I'm going a new direction:
That comic series was called KOTOR, too: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_(comics)
And I'd really like to see it on big screen; I loved those characters Grin !

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2790

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »

Well the newer movies have done a good job of seamlessly blending practical effects with CGI, so I don't see why they would stop that trend now.

As long as they find the right studio to do so, otherwise, the CGI will be as bad as the DCEU movies with the exception of WW, Aquaman, and Shazam.  Or the Genie from the live action Aladin movie (at least in the trailers anyway)

It can be done, just have to pay for it and find the right studio that will do the work and make it look as good as the CGI used in the MCU

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 12:21:27 PM »

I agree with Knox though, The Old Republic covers a large part of time.  Could easily set it after the SWTOR game takes place (I know its still technically ongoing) but before the waning days of the War when Bane instituted the Rule of Two.  That way characters like Revan, Malgus and Satele Shan will be untouched.  I honestly felt this is the direction they should have gone with the Sequel Trilogy.  Far enough ahead the Core Characters were gone.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 01:30:48 PM »

As long as they find the right studio to do so, otherwise, the CGI will be as bad as the DCEU movies with the exception of WW, Aquaman, and Shazam.  Or the Genie from the live action Aladin movie (at least in the trailers anyway)

It can be done, just have to pay for it and find the right studio that will do the work and make it look as good as the CGI used in the MCU
The two best effects houses in the world at Weta out of New Zealand who did work on the LotR movies and Industrial Light & Magic, which is actually a part of LucasFilm. So, I think CGI wise they will be fine.

I've mentioned before that in the modern era, there are only two reasons for having poor CGI in a movie: lack of time or lack of budget. Usually big budget films end up employing lots of different effects houses who work on specific parts of the movie. Look at Infinity War/End Game; one effects house did work purely on the look of Titan. Another effects house worked on Thanos. Another worked on the costumes etc etc. This is why making films is such a complex endeavour. So much for directors to oversee.

I agree with Knox though, The Old Republic covers a large part of time. 
While I know the article mention KOTOR, I really think the movies will explore that specific period of time, where we will finally see armies of Sith and hundreds of red lightsabers vs armies of Jedi. Personally, I'll be happy if they give us movies of the quality of the KOTOR cinematics from Lucas Arts. I've never played the games, but I love those cinematics. The action was on point, they delivered good character work and an easy to follow story, with limited dialogue.

One of the great things about doing Old Republic movies are it gives writers a clean slate. They can do pretty much anything and it won't affect canon. As it's set thousands of years in the past, any contradictions that arise can easily be explained by "it changed in the future".

Could easily set it after the SWTOR game takes place (I know its still technically ongoing) but before the waning days of the War when Bane instituted the Rule of Two.  That way characters like Revan, Malgus and Satele Shan will be untouched.  I honestly felt this is the direction they should have gone with the Sequel Trilogy.  Far enough ahead the Core Characters were gone.
Or they could set it beforehand too. As I said, I never played those games, but as beloved as they are, hopefully the powers-that-be will be intelligent enough to invoke the spirit of the storytelling/mythology that was displayed then and not try to reinvent the wheel by bringing that stuff to the screen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: