Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Applying gold leaf  (Read 1340 times)
Darth_Solidus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -21

Dark Jedi

« on: January 12, 2017, 02:13:27 AM »

Does anyone have any experience using gold leaf as an add on to a saber? I've never done it but it seems fairly straightforward. I was just seeing if anyone could pass on some tips or and advice.

Jedi and Sith hold themselves back. Both are confined to their respective beliefs. Using the dark and the light sides, I intend to create a new order. One bringing balance to the Galaxy through force.

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:22:07 AM »

What exactly are you trying to use it for? I've used it on cars and guitars, but not on a saber. It would be the same process though. It can be tricky, but it depends on what exactly you are trying to do.

Darth Genji
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -58

Dark Side Points!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 12:22:49 PM »

Does anyone have any experience using gold leaf as an add on to a saber? I've never done it but it seems fairly straightforward. I was just seeing if anyone could pass on some tips or and advice.

I haven't... But I must say I am quite curious/eager now to see how this can be applied to a lightsaber. I hope someone here on the forums who has had experience with it and already tried it on a saber would be nice enough to share it. Smiley

"This is also the reason there can only be one Dark Lord.  The Sith must be ruled by a single leader: the very embodiment of the strength and power of the dark side.  If the leader grows weak another must rise to seize the mantle.  The strong rule; the weak are meant to serve.  This is the way it must be.
My time here is ended.  Take what I have taught you and use it well."

Dark Side Points only please! Thank you! Smiley

12/30/16 - Dark Apprentice LE V4 w/ Sound (Tri-Cree Consular Green)
01/09/17 - Apprentice LE V4 w/ Sound (Tri-Cree Fire Orange)

Darth_Solidus
Knight Ensign

Dark Jedi

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »

What exactly are you trying to use it for? I've used it on cars and guitars, but not on a saber. It would be the same process though. It can be tricky, but it depends on what exactly you are trying to do.

I plan on picking up a Dark Monarch hilt and applying gold lead to the non anodized/silver bits.

Jedi and Sith hold themselves back. Both are confined to their respective beliefs. Using the dark and the light sides, I intend to create a new order. One bringing balance to the Galaxy through force.

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:21:11 AM »

Ok, well that would definitely be easy enough to do.

What you want to do is get yourself an imitation gold leaf kit. That will come with the size that you need as well as a clear coat and some imitation gold leaf sheets. You CAN use 22K gold leaf if you really want to... depends on how many commas you have in your bank account  Grin

PRACTICE ON SOMETHING ELSE FIRST!

Then when you know what you are doing, do it on the saber.

Make sure you wear gloves when you handle the leaf or you will get finger oils on it and it either won't stick, it will discolor, or it will reject the clear coat.

Tape off between all the little groves and ridges so you don't wind up getting it everywere and just leave the silver bits exposed. Put on the THINNEST POSSIBLE coat of size using the softest finest brush you can get your hands on. Once it has dried to the point of being tacky to the touch without still coming off on your hands (use the back of your knuckle to test it, do NOT touch it with your fingertips) you take your gold leaf and press it on. Try and do as much of it in one go as possible. It will ONLY stick where you have painted the size, so don't worry about where it lands yet, you can clean it up later. Rub it on very gently with a soft cotton cloth, or put on some cotton gloves and rub very gently with your fingertips. This is where it will get a bit fiddly with those dips in the emitter, and that deep section under the base of the emitter. Just go slow and steady and make sure every part is covered. Don't worry if some bits got missed, you can add more size to them later and apply more leaf then.

Let the gold leaf sit on the size for about 30-45 minutes after you have stuck it down before you do any more. Once it's been sitting for a while, tear off the excess parts of the leaf sheets (keep them for another project or a second coat in case some didn't stick in little parts that you missed putting size on) Then pat it down firmly with your cotton cloth.

Using a GOOD QUALITY spray on acrylic high gloss clear coat, cover the entire saber in an even coat of clear. Don't go too heavy or it will run, and don't go too light or it will dry as you apply it and go matte instead of gloss. After the stated dry time for the particular clear you have, feel it and see if you are happy with the finish. If you need to get it smoother, get some 2000 grit or higher sandpaper, sand it every so lightly to remove the fuzzy feeling, then apply another coat. Continue sanding and coating until you have the shine you want or as many coats as you want of clear as you want. The more layers you do, the better, as you can give it a buff to bring out the shine even more if you have a nice thick clear over your finished project.

Feel free to ask any other questions if you have them, but except for the emitter, it should be a pretty simple process. Good luck, and share some pics. I had tossed up on gold leaf, but didn't want to fiddle with it on something so small. But I am wanting to do a chrome leaf saber, so I'd love to see how yours turns out Smiley

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »

This is very fine info. thank you. points .

What you want to do is get yourself an imitation gold leaf kit. That will come with the size that you need as well as a clear coat and some imitation gold leaf sheets. You CAN use 22K gold leaf if you really want to... depends on how many commas you have in your bank account  Grin

Make sure you wear gloves when you handle the leaf or you will get finger oils on it and it either won't stick, it will discolor, or it will reject the clear coat.

Tape off between all the little groves and ridges so you don't wind up getting it everywere and just leave the silver bits exposed. Put on the THINNEST POSSIBLE coat of size using the softest finest brush you can get your hands on. Once it has dried to the point of being tacky to the touch without still coming off on your hands (use the back of your knuckle to test it, do NOT touch it with your fingertips) you take your gold leaf and press it on. Try and do as much of it in one go as possible. It will ONLY stick where you have painted the size, so don't worry about where it lands yet, you can clean it up later. Rub it on very gently with a soft cotton cloth, or put on some cotton gloves and rub very gently with your fingertips. This is where it will get a bit fiddly with those dips in the emitter, and that deep section under the base of the emitter. Just go slow and steady and make sure every part is covered. Don't worry if some bits got missed, you can add more size to them later and apply more leaf then.

Let the gold leaf sit on the size for about 30-45 minutes after you have stuck it down before you do any more. Once it's been sitting for a while, tear off the excess parts of the leaf sheets (keep them for another project or a second coat in case some didn't stick in little parts that you missed putting size on) Then pat it down firmly with your cotton cloth.

Using a GOOD QUALITY spray on acrylic high gloss clear coat, cover the entire saber in an even coat of clear. Don't go too heavy or it will run, and don't go too light or it will dry as you apply it and go matte instead of gloss. After the stated dry time for the particular clear you have, feel it and see if you are happy with the finish. If you need to get it smoother, get some 2000 grit or higher sandpaper, sand it every so lightly to remove the fuzzy feeling, then apply another coat. Continue sanding and coating until you have the shine you want or as many coats as you want of clear as you want. The more layers you do, the better, as you can give it a buff to bring out the shine even more if you have a nice thick clear over your finished project.

Feel free to ask any other questions if you have them, but except for the emitter, it should be a pretty simple process. Good luck, and share some pics. I had tossed up on gold leaf, but didn't want to fiddle with it on something so small. But I am wanting to do a chrome leaf saber, so I'd love to see how yours turns out Smiley

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Darth_Solidus
Knight Ensign

Dark Jedi

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »

Oh I have no plans to use 22k gold leaf just yet. I've been doing some reading about the whole process but had never seen anything about the clear coat. I think that'll help a ton. The emitter is definitely not something I'm looking forward to doing but I think it'll turn out fine. And trust me, plenty of pictures will be taken of the whole process. If it looks good of course lol.

Isola815
Knight Commander

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 03:18:30 AM »

A lot of people don't do the clear coat step, and then the leaf slowly wears off the more you handle it.

Just don't use the brush on clear you get it the kit. Throw it in the trash, honestly. Use a spray can, or use a proper spray gun and air compressor. And if you have never done clear coating, practice on something else first!

Good luck Smiley

Darth_Solidus
Knight Ensign

Dark Jedi

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:16:23 PM »

I appreciate the fantastic advice! LS point headed your way!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: