Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: my jedi costume- work in progress (pic heavy)  (Read 17989 times)
B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« on: April 29, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »

ok so as i promised, a new thread with the start of my new costume! keep in mind, this costume (along with others i have planned) are works in progress- if people want ill be happy to post pictures as i go with each new piece i get around to doing (as i have the time and spare money to do it). comments are welcomed, if you have ideas for improvements please share them! I wont go into too much detail tonight, im tired and have had a long day at work.
so, i was watching one of my sisters belly dance performances a few weeks ago, and i decided that part of her costume with some changes would be a nice addition to my jedi costume- prompting me to create yet another jedi costume design Tongue its called a ghawazee coat and was made from simplicity pattern 2159 http://www.simplicity.com/p-6171-misses-costumes.aspx .
Here she is, modelling said coat (the silver coat) at said performance (yes, thats a sword balanced on her head. Sword dances are her specialty).

i borrowed my sisters pattern, used style ‘A’ but without sleeves, did a great deal of adjusting to make it fit me (im not exactly skinny after all, and most misses patterns are designed to fit a muchly smaller person. my sisters also much shorter, coming to my shoulder height, and im not exactly tall), added a hood that i got from a cloak pattern i had lying around, and tada!

With the hood up (it sticks up funny at the back coz i had chopstick style hair pins in my hair)

The tunic and pants are from my old costume (see http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=12939.0)
The belt is just some belt i found in the cupboard. The bracers i quickly chucked together with some vinyl leatherette and some interfacing (and proved the world wrong in that you CAN iron fusible interfacing onto vinyl haha. I think its called determination and running out of options, you are willing to try something dumb) with good ol’ sticky back Velcro. They were a bit long, note to self to cut them down before wearing them again.
The hood i ran into issues with, i decided for some unknown reason itd be a better idea not to line it- lining hoods makes them sit better but at the time it seemed like unnecessary extra work. NOT lining the hood actually proved more time consuming as i had to make a nice hem along the front, then cover up the messy seam. And it didn’t sit as well, prompting some inventiveness to make it sit better. Second note to self- always line the hood!
And as big hoods do, it had a habit of falling down- but i came up with the ingenious (and possibly not so original) idea of hand sewing a clear hair clip into the hood. Its not visible when the hood is down, but means the hood aint going anywhere when its up no matter how much you move around!
The ghawazee coat is only the first part of this new costume. I am planning a new tunic, new pants, a wide belt (kinda belly dance style though nowhere near as wide as my sisters in the above photo, not as stiff and minus all the beading) and much better bracers.
Im also considering running bronzey gold coloured braid or ribbon down the front (like on my sisters coat) and maybe along the bottom to really finish the coat off. The coat pulls apart a little at the front, couldn’t help that since i didn’t want to use a zip so i hand sewed on 10 hook and eye clasps, but braid might also help cover that up a bit. Atm not sure whether to go a geometric design braid (the supplier my sister uses has an amazing collection and can source just about anything you want) in gold, brown and black tones, or go a dull gold ribbon with aurebesh on it in black- this obviously requires much more work on my part as ill have to hand paint it on or something.
Any more comments i can think of will wait until tomorrow, and my apologies if some bits don’t make complete sense, im just about falling asleep at the keyboard Tongue

oh and please ignore the black sneakers- stupid me forgot to take my boots with me, and the party was in my original hometown where most of the family lives, 180km from where we live now. i felt like an idiot
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:09:59 PM by B1ondeange1 » Logged

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Saint
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 211

"Do unto others BEFORE they do unto you..."

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:18:40 PM »

Very nice 'Ange1.  I seriously gotta trade in my Trek and BSG adornments for something more...Force-ful.  

PS Seeing as you're an angel and I'm a saint, are we related?   Wink

Obsidians in order of acquisition...
Graflex CE;  Guardian;  Dark Monarch Staff;  Consu-Lord CE;  Malice #1;  Archon;  Dark Arbiter;  Overlord;  Graflex SE;  Malice#2;  Shock LE;  Dark Liberator;  Dark Catalyst; Prophecy;  Scorpion

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 287

Light side points please

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:59 PM »

Very cool. I like that it is different than the rank and file Jedi tunics from Episode 1-3. It has a very practical look to it, like the garment of a Jedi in the field should be.

Point for trying new things with the sewing, too. I also do "dumb" things that work out well. I usually try stuff out of laziness (ie: "I am not running back to the fabric store again just for ...")

Nice job.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:05:40 AM »

Costume looks very nice and that Archon sets everything in motion quite well.  Great job!

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:08:29 AM »

Saint- if I say yes does that mean I get to inherit that amazing saber collection of yours?  Wink

thanks ppl, I like the idea of a costume that is a bit more unique, more 'me', rather than just a direct copy from the movies- nothing wrong with that either, I just like the idea of a more individual design, while still looking like a Jedi
I actually had a few ppl at the party ask which Jedi I was Tongue
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:13:14 AM by B1ondeange1 » Logged

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:42:05 AM »

Very nice work! It looks simple yet very effective!
Point for Vambraces!

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 04:31:54 AM »

I used to catch crap for vambraces. I was a trend setter, I tell you. Nice stuff.

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 05:03:43 AM »

Nice costume.

I think one of the most useful patterns I've ever bought was a belly dance costume pattern.  It seems like the only thing I haven't done with pieces from that pattern is make a belly dance costume!   Cheesy

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »

Hehe, I reckon it'd be absolutely awesome to make a full Jedi (or probly sith) belly dance costume. I mean lets face it, twileks are often depicted with skin showing, Jedi, sith, or neither!
I'm soooo considering (when I am far richer) getting my sister an initiate with 24" blade so she can use a light saber in a dance. She loves dancing sword dances to Goth music, and she does cane dances- you'd use similar techniques I would imagine to a cane dance with a light saber. My saber is far too long for her to spin easily, she's very short. Cheeky thing can spin it better than I can though, and yes I'm jealous Tongue

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »

Hehe, I reckon it'd be absolutely awesome to make a full Jedi (or probly sith) belly dance costume. I mean lets face it, twileks are often depicted with skin showing, Jedi, sith, or neither!
I'm soooo considering (when I am far richer) getting my sister an initiate with 24" blade so she can use a light saber in a dance. She loves dancing sword dances to Goth music, and she does cane dances- you'd use similar techniques I would imagine to a cane dance with a light saber. My saber is far too long for her to spin easily, she's very short. Cheeky thing can spin it better than I can though, and yes I'm jealous Tongue

Your sister is not short, she is concentrated awesome!!!

In all seriousness though, a belly dancing Jedi would be something unique I have yet to see.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Light side points please

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »

Belly dancing Jedi would be cool. Jedi are from different cultures and bring parts of their culture to the order. A Jedi who comes for a culture that does ritual belly dancing would certainly not be out of place.

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 02:00:46 AM »

Twi'leks?  They seem to have a lot of dancers...

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 04:43:28 PM »

so I was at my local material store picking up a pattern I had ordered, and material was on sale! so ive got some chocolate brown material to make myself an old republic style short sleeved robe Cheesy
its just broadcloth no fancy material here. sigh its hard to find good material in west aus. itll still do the job though, and it was dirt cheap on sale. cant find silk noil anywhere which is what I want for my tunic, so im gonna have to see if I can get it online in aus  Undecided

currently deciding whether or not I want to go a little fancy, and put some kind of patterning on it, like some of TOR hooded robes have.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Light side points please

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 07:09:35 PM »

so I was at my local material store picking up a pattern I had ordered, and material was on sale! so ive got some chocolate brown material to make myself an old republic style short sleeved robe Cheesy
its just broadcloth no fancy material here. sigh its hard to find good material in west aus. itll still do the job though, and it was dirt cheap on sale. cant find silk noil anywhere which is what I want for my tunic, so im gonna have to see if I can get it online in aus  Undecided

currently deciding whether or not I want to go a little fancy, and put some kind of patterning on it, like some of TOR hooded robes have.
Broad cloth should work fine for a robe. It will be light and flow nicely. I have always thought that Star Wars costumes were more about the layers than the material. I mentioned on another thread that I had a chance, many years ago, to see the actual costumes used in the movies at a Chicago museum. They are all made of simple materials (with a few exceptions like Vader). There really is nothing special about Han's pants, vest or shirt, it is the way it works together and the whole image it presents that makes it cool. Luke's pants from ANH just sold at auction, all they are is a pair of blue jeans that have been bleached.

The stuff you have made and posted so far looks great, Angel. Keep adding to it and you will have an awsome costume. 

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 07:19:54 AM »

Thanks Smiley my last robe was poplin, and that hung nicely, and that's just a thinner cotton than broadcloth.
I'm really tempted to have a go at making something similar to the sanctified caretakers armor from swtor (cartel market). When I first saw it I was like oooooo! Just love that design! Not 100% sure how id do the patterning on the back (whether to sew in the different colored strips or use material paint, though paint makes it messy), but the cream colored bottom edge would be easy enough. Started working out how to make the shoulder armor last night- gonna do it from foam to keep it cheap and light, see how it comes out

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: