Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Guarded Switch broken  (Read 4004 times)
Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 07:06:17 PM »

The easiest way to get that switch out is to take a 10mm drill bit and SLOWLY drill through the center of the switch and afterwards pull out what remains of the switch. That is what we do. Go slowly and stop the drill right after the threads so you don't tangle the wires inside around the bit. Since the switch is plastic, it easily drills and you can you then replace it with any switch you would like that fits in the hole. Use a drill press.

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 01:05:26 PM »

Thank you for the reply! I will definately remember this.
I'll order a few switches upcoming months, but I have to save a bit of money first. Living in the Netherlands means that it's better to order in one bigger order instead of several little orders thanks to shipping costs and taxes.
But I'll keep everybody posted.

Again thank you, nice to know that the people of US also read and reply. Even though you all must be very busy due to the immens order amount last few months.

Thanks for the advice!

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

rwischer
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 09:04:17 PM »

Yes it can be tapped to fit 12mm AV switches.  You need to know the thread pitch of the switch you choose to install. To do it you have to attach the wires first then turn the switch in while managing the wires inside. It is not an easy thing and takes a good amount of patience but I like the look and like doing it to mine.
I'm very interested in doing just this as well (ie change out guarded to an AV).

A few questions.
1. What do you mean by "You need to know the thread pitch of the switch you choose to install?"

2. After getting the guarded out then the objective is to drill a 12mm hole for the new switch?

3. Will any 12mm AV switch work or are there different varients?

Thanks for helping!

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 10:59:34 PM »

I'm very interested in doing just this as well (ie change out guarded to an AV).

A few questions.
1. What do you mean by "You need to know the thread pitch of the switch you choose to install?"

There are different switches and different manufactures and some have different threads. You need to know what size the threads and be sure to have the right/matching tap.

2. After getting the guarded out then the objective is to drill a 12mm hole for the new switch?

After pulling out the switch you have a hole remaining that is a little less than 12 mm and ready to cut threads into.

Yes to both. There are different variants around but if you plan the project and make sure to have the right tools and preparation any will work.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

rwischer
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 11:47:32 PM »

A few questions.

There are different switches and different manufactures and some have different threads. You need to know what size the threads and be sure to have the right/matching tap.

After pulling out the switch you have a hole remaining that is a little less than 12 mm and ready to cut threads into.

Yes to both. There are different variants around but if you plan the project and make sure to have the right tools and preparation any will work.
Ahh, got it. You may have mentioned it in an earlier post but I didn't realize I'd be drilling a threaded hole. All the AV switches I have see have a nut so I was thinking I'd have to somehow screw that on the bottom side (remove all the guts to give some room and finesse the nut on). This makes more sense now and sounds easier.

Thx!

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 12:02:40 AM »

You can use the nut on some but some of the switches are too short and Ultrasabers are a bit thick.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff