Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288457 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3075 on: July 12, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »

See, it's funny...TFA didn't come off the same way to me.  I never felt that sense of smug superiority from TFA, that I feel from certain works that look down their noses at the peons, so to speak.  TFA I would call dark, but not coming from a place of patronizing arrogance and trying to FORCE you to see it just one way.

Know why Kylo's polarizing?  Because it is legitimately possible to see him multiple ways and you're not being whacked over the head that there is ONLY one allowable perspective.  In contrast, when a work is all Anvilicious and pretty much SCREAMING about how trendy it is and how much it adheres to "approved dissident thought" (yes, I totally recognize the contradiction there Wink ), *that's* when I see a shallow edgelord. Wink

It totally did for me. "As long as there's still light, we have a chance." <hurl> This dictates that only use of the light side is good. NTM the "we shelled out $4B so we can do whatever we want" attitude. "We're going to totally rip off the old canon and say we're being original because the new generation of fans is just a bunch of dumb kids that wont know any better."

"The Death Star wasn't cool enough, so we're do the exact same thing only make a gutted planet that eats stars. Ya know, cuz that tots makes sense."

If they incorporate a light whip into the movies, I'm gonna riot.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #3076 on: July 12, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »

It totally did for me. "As long as there's still light, we have a chance." <hurl> This dictates that only use of the light side is good. NTM the "we shelled out $4B so we can do whatever we want" attitude. "We're going to totally rip off the old canon and say we're being original because the new generation of fans is just a bunch of dumb kids that wont know any better."

"The Death Star wasn't cool enough, so we're do the exact same thing only make a gutted planet that eats stars. Ya know, cuz that tots makes sense."

If they incorporate a light whip into the movies, I'm gonna riot.

There is a light whip in the Darth Bane Trilogy ... so, for me, it is not an issue Wink

In fact, i am more disappointed by the "end" of the old extended universe (with the organa solo twins ...) than by the originality of TFA ...

For TFA, i consider the movie as a reboot ... i want to watch Ep VIII before i make a more definitive opinion because even of its "originality", there are some good ideas in the Ep VII Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3077 on: July 12, 2016, 07:38:33 PM »

It totally did for me. "As long as there's still light, we have a chance." <hurl> This dictates that only use of the light side is good.

It's funny you mention that line.

Thing is, Poe was conspicuously *wrong* in that, and I think that was intentional.

If you note when Starkiller Base was destroyed, it was after the visible light of the star was completely gone.  I actually checked specifically for that on my subsequent viewings because I noticed it right in the theater the first time.  This observation was confirmed: Poe got it wrong--100%, blatantly so, and to me there is no way it wasn't intended for him to be wrong and for it to be noticed.  Unfortunately it seems that detail HAS slipped past a lot of people.

Me--I think it's foreshadowing that a certain someone who seems to have extinguished all visible light is not as doomed as it seems, and you can't always rush to write someone or something off completely.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3078 on: July 12, 2016, 07:53:22 PM »

There is a light whip in the Darth Bane Trilogy ... so, for me, it is not an issue Wink

In fact, i am more disappointed by the "end" of the old extended universe (with the organa solo twins ...) than by the originality of TFA ...

For TFA, i consider the movie as a reboot ... i want to watch Ep VIII before i make a more definitive opinion because even of its "originality", there are some good ideas in the Ep VII Wink

I am painfully aware of that fact. Angry However that was thankfully short lived in the first book and did not return.

I will concede that notion however. It took me a while to adjust to TPM. Even to this day, I still get a remnant of what I felt the first time I saw that opening sequence. IT just felt foreign. But this was also before I started reading any EU. I was looking forward to seeing all the stuff I kept hearing about from the die-hards that had more story from books than all the movies combined. Like all the misadventures of the Solo kids. And Luke marrying Mara after she was sent to kill him. AND LEIA'S JEDI TRAINING. AND LUKE'S FALL TO THE DARK SIDE.

"Where have all the good times gone?"

It's funny you mention that line.

Thing is, Poe was conspicuously *wrong* in that, and I think that was intentional.

If you note when Starkiller Base was destroyed, it was after the visible light of the star was completely gone.  I actually checked specifically for that on my subsequent viewings because I noticed it right in the theater the first time.  This observation was confirmed: Poe got it wrong--100%, blatantly so, and to me there is no way it wasn't intended for him to be wrong and for it to be noticed.  Unfortunately it seems that detail HAS slipped past a lot of people.

Me--I think it's foreshadowing that a certain someone who seems to have extinguished all visible light is not as doomed as it seems, and you can't always rush to write someone or something off completely.

WOW you put a lot of thought into that. The energy still had to pass from the star's location to the capacitor, or whatever. Which is why even though the light from it had been depleted, SKB still wasn't ready to fire. I always interpreted Poe's line as a cheesy attempt to be overly symbolic, because it also lines up with Ren on the precipice of a choice, and then he "makes it" right as the "light dies"? <Spew>

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3079 on: July 12, 2016, 08:10:23 PM »

Oh, it does line up with Ren on the precipice, for sure.  But if Poe was wrong with Starkiller (yes there's a firing sequence, but he acted like once that sequence is underway you're 100% screwed...wrong, flyboy!), I think it fundamentally causes the other instance to be called into question.  That's why I think it's intentional: that an obvious surface interpretation was put out there on purpose as a red herring, but as soon as you dig even slightly into it, it absolutely falls apart and things are suddenly nowhere near as clear as they seemed.

The fact Poe's error causes the "obvious" interpretation of the Ren scene to collapse is, in my personal opinion, of major significance.

Oh, and just for humor...thought you might enjoy this video because it reminds me of our discussions. Cheesy  (Well, minus the part where it all goes to hell in the middle. Wink )

https://youtu.be/bRGxbQcunnU

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #3080 on: July 12, 2016, 08:14:57 PM »

I am painfully aware of that fact. Angry However that was thankfully short lived in the first book and did not return.

I will concede that notion however. It took me a while to adjust to TPM. Even to this day, I still get a remnant of what I felt the first time I saw that opening sequence. IT just felt foreign. But this was also before I started reading any EU. I was looking forward to seeing all the stuff I kept hearing about from the die-hards that had more story from books than all the movies combined. Like all the misadventures of the Solo kids. And Luke marrying Mara after she was sent to kill him. AND LEIA'S JEDI TRAINING. AND LUKE'S FALL TO THE DARK SIDE.

"Where have all the good times gone?"

Thrawn Trilogy ... Legacy .... i really love these stories ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3081 on: July 12, 2016, 08:41:48 PM »

Moved to Random SW thoughts.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3082 on: July 13, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »

There's nobody on, and I'm am almost literally bored to tears.

Sig by For Tyeth

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3083 on: July 13, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »

I had to use Internet Explorer to visit one stupid site that refuses to recognize any other browser. Need I say more about my frustration level?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3084 on: July 13, 2016, 10:32:43 PM »

I had to use Internet Explorer to visit one stupid site that refuses to recognize any other browser. Need I say more about my frustration level?

When I was researching sabers, one site wouldn't allow my browser, or phone (Chrome) to view the site. Your loss Farks Labers!

No points, just fist bumps baby!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3085 on: July 14, 2016, 12:58:48 AM »

My current desktop displays perfectly my feelings for IE.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3086 on: July 14, 2016, 01:00:52 AM »

Point for Scrubs!

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3087 on: July 14, 2016, 08:55:54 AM »

My current desktop displays perfectly my feelings for IE.

Love  this ^^^

+1 TJ

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3088 on: July 15, 2016, 05:17:26 AM »

This is a venting thread, and I want to vent, but the profanity riddled rant/vent I wanna give won't be tolerated here. So, let's just say these dang people in the next room of this motel need to STFU already. It's 10 pm and they're laughing it up like Jackholes. I'd bang on the wall, but there's kids in that room and I don't really wanna open that up. FML

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3089 on: July 15, 2016, 09:05:32 PM »

This is a venting thread, and I want to vent, but the profanity riddled rant/vent I wanna give won't be tolerated here. So, let's just say these dang people in the next room of this motel need to STFU already. It's 10 pm and they're laughing it up like Jackholes. I'd bang on the wall, but there's kids in that room and I don't really wanna open that up. FML

You've managed to do alright with acronyms. Strategic omissions also work.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: