Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: What would you pay for this costume?  (Read 11301 times)
Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 01:32:37 AM »

The differences are huge. The material in the top photo is much thicker than the material in the bottom. Of course, the belts are different, but it seems to me that the belt in the top photo is much more sturdy, along with the physical differences, and the cuffs to the sleeves are embroidered or hemmed in the top photo, as opposed to the bottom. If you choose either, go with the top.

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -141

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »

I've bought a costume from cosplay and they are nice, for the price. If you need a decent costumed shipped for under $150 they are the place to go. The material is better then a halloween costume but its not nearly as nice as the first one you showed. I'm happy with mine for now but I will definetly upgrade when I have the cash.

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Amanita
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 04:37:19 AM »

Yeah, the first costume looks a lot better- overall its proportions are better, and the belt looks better made.

$300 or so for two full tunics, sash, tabards, and real leather belt isn't too bad at all- I paid a leatherworker about $60 for the wider part of the belt alone, before I learned to craft. (I already had a thinner belt for the inner part with the buckle)

grave13
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -17

darkside points valued

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 12:17:18 AM »

So I've been looking at this costume and I love it, but don't want to pay to much.
The costume maker has asked me what I would pay for this.
But I don't know....What would you pay?
Give in mind the belt being real lether.

i would pay the most $250.00 not a bad outfit at all. damn good as a matter of fact

Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 92

If you want a costume PLEASE message me on Etsy

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »

Costume Designers make about $20-$25 an hour. Being a costume designer myself let me give you my take on everything.

It looks like to me...

The tunic is made from either a cotton twill or polyester. So about $5-$9 a yard and that tunic pattern uses about 3.5 yards so about - $31

The dickey. That's the dark brown looks to be made out of polyester of some sort. So between $7-$13 a yard and that dickey takes about a half a yard so looking at about - $7

The shoulder armor. Looks like its made from a microsuede. And you would need about 1 yard maybe two since it is lined. Microsuede runs about $12-$16 a yard. - $30

The obi (the white that's under the leather belt) takes a half a yard. And its made from the same fabric as the tunic. So about - $4-5

The belt is a bit tricky. The metal work should be around $10-$15 The leather $30-$50

Considering the images are high quality and they have a nice dressmakers dummy, an experienced costume maker would take between 3-5 hours to make something like that. The belt maybe two.

So your looking at about $130 in materials. And time using $23 an hour $160. For a total of $290 brand new on commission.

If its "like- new" take about a 10% - %15 value cut. At 15% it would be about $245 - $250

Yes I know this is a lot higher than most of the people posting, but keep in mind that I come from a costuming background. And I know the cost of the materials. And the costume markers time. And its not easy to make these things.

So just remember when you offer just be fair to the maker they need to make a profit. And if you offer them only the cost of the materials and maybe $20 for their time, they more than likely wont take it.

Also keep in mind this is just the top of the costume. You don't get pants, boots, or robe. And robes are VERY costly in just the amount of fabric. Its not unusual for a full Jedi costume to run between $500 - $800.

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME HERE. I VARY VARY RARELY LOG IN ANYMORE SINCE I AM SO BUSY. PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK OR ETSY TO GET A HOLD OF ME.

For Costume Information: http://etsy.com/shop/aetherealdesigns
For Ęthereal Designs Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AEtherealDesigns

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »

$300 is a decent price if you got it.

Figure $100 for the belt with materials and labor.

$80-100 in cloth.

That leaves $100-$120 or so to cover labor and shipping.

I couldn't do it for less unless I got the fabric on the bargain shelf and the leather recycled from another source...but repeated costs...$275-300 shipped is reasonable for a quality outfit...if it is made to Halloween one night standards than no, $100 at best...but we know the leather belt has that value wrapped up in it already.

So if I were making it for myself buying retail materials...I would think $125-$150 minimum...then a handful of hours...6 hours or so at $20, $120 for labor estimate.

$20 for shipping.

$300 is a decent price.

If you offered $275 that would not be insulting but any less would be IMO.

Welcome to the forum!

My bid was close to yours, great minds and all Cheesy

By the the by, I like the one on your Devi-page

Do I spy a purple duct tape manni there?  Did you tape yourself and cut it off?  Lol...I have done the same at the theater and opera house a dozen times...so much quicker when working on multiple costumes at the same time.

Good stuff!

Light side points please Smiley

Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »

Yes, I stole one of my dad's old shirts (since right now I'm living at home part time) and put it on. Then while watching a movie had my mom duck tape me into it. It was kinda a bitch to cut of; my mom ended up poking me with the SHARP sewing shears. But I made that about two years ago. And its a cheep way to get a dressmakers dummy, and so far all the costumes I have made on it have turned out pretty good and have needed very little tailoring.

If you want to talk about my costume. Lets relocate to http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=8593.0 the thread for that costume. So we aren't hijacking this one. Tongue

Anyway rezeb360 I hope you will take the advice of the costume makers/designers and the professions here. No offense meant to anyone else, but people who don't make costumes sometimes have a hard time understanding the cost and time that goes into a costume like the one you are wanting to buy. 

On a side note. If you have the contact for that costume maker, I would like to see if they would be willing to make me and maybe 1 friend one of the leather belts.

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME HERE. I VARY VARY RARELY LOG IN ANYMORE SINCE I AM SO BUSY. PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK OR ETSY TO GET A HOLD OF ME.

rezeb360
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 60

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »

Thank you all. I'll be saving for a wiel at this rate lol Grin

Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »

Honestly I would offer $190-$230 and see if they take it. Because if its been sitting around for a while they might just want to get it out of their storage.

Jedi Taz
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 01:34:21 AM »

Just to add a benchmark, my Luke RotJ full robes including belt, pouch cost £600.

Simon Robertson

Belfast, Ireland
Member of the Emerald Garrison.

Too many costumes to list.

BrainySmurf
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2012, 05:15:14 AM »

I recently spent about $300 AUD on a full outfit including boots and coat. But they way this has been stitched seems to be much better quality than what I ordered. so without pants, boots, and cape. probably $150-$200 AUD

First shipment: Grab Bag (colour requested) Aeon GB - Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 with Sound VA
Second shipment: Consular with Sound CG - Phantom V2 BR (a little sith in all of us) - 2x Grab bag Aeon

Light side points please Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: