Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Good place for patterns?  (Read 3643 times)
sirane_willts
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 22, 2012, 02:51:33 AM »

I'm sure a few of you saw my ideas for the Emporer Skywalker costume. Well turns out the girlfriend is more into costumes than I thought and wants to do a costume of her own too. So we went looking for pictures and she found one she really likes:

Now, obviously I doubt there is a pattern for this exact outfit, so I'm just wondering if is there a place or if anyone has just basic patterns for female Jedi garb we can start off from? Hell it can even be just patterns for a male Jedi costume. We're just looking for a good starting point.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:56:11 AM by Moderator Big Boss » Logged

Dark Initiate V2 FO-MG

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 03:01:35 AM »

I cannot help you with costuming but I wanted to let you know that your picture was not showing up.  Contact one of the mods if you are having trouble getting it to show and best of luck getting your costumes together.

Blue

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

skullflare
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:26:25 AM »

actually,  think it may be a little easier than you thought,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Off-The-Shoulder-TOP-sewing-pattern-6-8-10-12-shirt-blouse-/330779680866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d04016062#ht_500wt_1414
take elements from 1 (the sleeves need to be wider, but it's close)
give it the length of 3 and there is a base for the outfit.

Lets see how dark we can go

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 03:48:56 AM »

Jedi costumes - I want to say that Simplicity has them (my wife does my costuming), and I think you can find them at a Hancock Fabrics or JoAnn's near you, or even a Wal-Mart if yours still has a crafts sections with fabrics/patterns.  They have large books showing the patterns in action as well, so you could look in the costumes sections for Simplicity, McCall's, Butterick, and see if something jumps at you.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »

I would recommend taking a plain Jedi costume (ed's right, a Simplicity pattern is a good starting point, and if you check at Jo-Ann's, they have a pattern sale every two or three weeks. It's great to pay $2 for a pattern instead of the normal $16) and then modifying it to accommodate the bell sleeve and the cap sleeve overlay. Also, depending on her frame and figure, you might consider modifying it with an A-line so that the standard straight line tunic doesn't look like a sack.

Of course, material is entirely up to you and her. You can go with the standard Jedi muted earth tones, or whatever strikes your fancy.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »

For the saber, a Monarch in Article Blue looks some what like the saber in the pic.

dark side points please

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »

This one seems close...modify the length of course and sew the overlapping chest section first then sew into the base design...gets you in the neighborhood.

I would seek out the leggings first.

Match the color she desires then find the fabric to accompany the colors/leggings.

Boots will be a trick.

High boots like those shown tend to be expensive.

Perhaps consider a decent upholstery material, thin enough to sew on a regular machine, and create a high thigh wrap boot?

Secure it with velcro, zipper, or other fasteners.

Or, check the renfair boot people you might get lucky and find a decent priced pair...there are a handful of rennies on the forum...they will pipe up soon enough  Cheesy

Good luck with your projects...yay your girl wants to join in  Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

skullflare
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »

they aren't cheap, assuming you want black leggings, check out under armour  http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ca/en/womens/apparel/bottoms/leggings, you can find them at most sporting goods store, and when at a con they help keep you cool under all the cloth.

Lets see how dark we can go

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:04:55 PM »

So far as Rennaissance Faire bootmakers - I have had good experience with Renboots and Son of Sandlar.  Sandlars are very pricy, but built to last, and they have an excellent customer service policy.  Renboots are a bit cheaper than SoS, and have worked just fine for me.

Good boots, with good fit and sole, are lifesavers.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »

So far as Rennaissance Faire bootmakers - I have had good experience with Renboots and Son of Sandlar.  Sandlars are very pricy, but built to last, and they have an excellent customer service policy.  Renboots are a bit cheaper than SoS, and have worked just fine for me.

Good boots, with good fit and sole, are lifesavers.

The only problem with Renboots I've found is that the soles tend to be poorly attached. However, if they start coming off, a goodly amount of E-6000 does the trick to keep them on.

www.renboots.com

I would go with Son of Sandlar, though they tend to be on the expensive (read: very expensive) side. That, and their boots are somewhat too elaborate for a standard Jedi look.

www.sonofsandlar.com

Oh, and as an aside, if you go with Renboots, avoid the laceups and get the buckled variety.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:48:19 PM »

leggings are not so bad, depending on where you look and the intent.  As a first costume I would think to keep the whole project at a reasonable level.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230417411273?hlp=falsejavascript:void(0);&var=

Light side points please Smiley

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »

The only problem with Renboots I've found is that the soles tend to be poorly attached. However, if they start coming off, a goodly amount of E-6000 does the trick to keep them on.

www.renboots.com

I would go with Son of Sandlar, though they tend to be on the expensive (read: very expensive) side. That, and their boots are somewhat too elaborate for a standard Jedi look.

www.sonofsandlar.com

Oh, and as an aside, if you go with Renboots, avoid the laceups and get the buckled variety.

I've had no issues with soles on mine...  they are just the pull-on variety, however - I think the Edward model is what I have.  And the wife and I are pretty fastidious about keeping care of our leather goods.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »

leggings are not so bad, depending on where you look and the intent.  As a first costume I would think to keep the whole project at a reasonable level.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230417411273?hlp=falsejavascript:void(0);&var=

Of course, for a fancier and more luxurious (and more expensive) pair of leggings, I recommend Faire Pair Tights.

Alternately, she could go all out and get a pair of leather pants fromRavenswood Leather. They make excellent leather clothing. A little on the pricey side, but worth it. I also recommend the Warrior Belt for use as a Jedi belt.

As an aside, if you look on the main page near the middle and notice the two women side by side, I personally know the one with the exposed midriff. Very beautiful. Very nice. Complete sweetheart.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »

Ravenswood also makes good stuff - I have a pair of deerskin long gloves of theirs that I greatly enjoy.

I wasn't all that fond of Faire Pair for Renn gear, but I bought from them many years ago, so it's possible that their styles have changed.  Also - I tend to prefer pants to tights.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »

Ravenswood also makes good stuff - I have a pair of deerskin long gloves of theirs that I greatly enjoy.

I wasn't all that fond of Faire Pair for Renn gear, but I bought from them many years ago, so it's possible that their styles have changed.  Also - I tend to prefer pants to tights.

Same here. I've found that hairy legs and tights just do NOT mix.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: