Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Poor Mans Jedi Belt (Tutorial included)  (Read 1644 times)
bryman
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« on: September 09, 2012, 07:56:56 AM »

POOR MANS JEDI BELT
Okay, so two weeks from the Comic Gaming & Anime Show, a local convention, I decided I need a costume. I have a mandolorian costume, but I didnt have a handler for the day, so I needed something more simple, softer, less... helmeted. So Jedi! But wait, Im gonna need that awesome belt, but short on cash and and even more short on time, what was a Jedi to do? Luckily I am pretty creative! So with items I found around my house I made a Jedi belt, and here's how I did it.

I started with some craft foam. One large sheet was enough for me and I were a XL-2XL shirt.

I cut it in to 3 sections, each one 3 times the width of my regular belt which worked out to 4 inches each.

Then I cut faux leather contact paper big enough to cover each sheet of craft foam. I found this stuff at Home Depot.

Next I glued the craft foam strips end to end with hot glue, then used the edge of the glue gun to smooth out the bead of glue. I used this technique on ever other part hot glued.

Then I added 2 strips of duct tape to the back to strengthen the belt down the whole length.

I covered the front of the foam with the contact paper next.

Then you've got to make sure it stays on, so you've gotta hot glue the contact paper on. I added a glue to the edge of the foam and then more glue along the edge of the contact paper.

After trying it on I realized i needed something to hold my normal belt in place so after looking at some pictures of the Jedi belt, I figured I could use thumb tacks, and it kind of looks like whats on the actual belt. Make sure you bend the tack before you add it to your belt, or it might be pretty uncomfortable.

Then to make sure it doesnt become a pain in your side add a little hot glue over the business end of the tacks and cover it with foam for extra saftey.

Now clear belt holders just look silly, so I painted them boltgun metal with citadel paints.

After sliding my regular belt in between the thumb tacks I ended up with this:

So a few hours later, and a grand total of $0 spent on this I have the poor mans Jedi belt. Obviously its not screen accurate, and probably wont hold up for to very long but i think it looks pretty good for free!

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »

This is actually perfect for someone like me, thanks for sharing!

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:46:20 AM »

Very nice.  It looks like you have a pro costume designer make that for you.  Very ingenious and something that all of us could do that live on a tight budget.  Never underestimate the brains of the SW fans!!!  I'll drop a point on you as well. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

bryman
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:45:48 AM »

Wow thanks guys. I just posted a pic of my costume at about 75%. You guys should let me know what you think of it.

Big Andy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -173

Dark side points please.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »

that looks freaking great!  Grin

The Jedi are simple minded fools who try to avoid there feeling when feelings are the path of true power. The Sith on the other hand are just as foolish in only using anger to fuel there power. To unlock true power one must utilize all of one's emotions.

CZ3RO
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -178

"There were lessons the Jedi couldn't teach me."

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 04:12:17 AM »

Nice job!  I went to a con without a proper belt (couldn't find one in time) and now I have a bunch of cool pictures with just a skinny belt (it's a really cool skinny belt mind you, but still skinny). 

Wide belts really complete Jedi/Sith costumes.

P.S. I found the perfect wide belt at Value Village for $5 literally the day after the con.  Angry

.ZERO.

"The Jedi and their 'Order' betrayed the Chancellor and the Republic - hunting them down isn't about revenge; this is justice."
- Fane Cinden, Imperial Inquisitioner

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: