Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Toy Story 3's Michael Arndt to Draft Star Wars: Episode VII?  (Read 6424 times)
TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« on: November 08, 2012, 10:48:57 PM »

Rumors are flying fast and furious regarding the recently-announced Star Wars: Episode VII with Vulture today reporting that Toy Story 3 screenwriter Michael Arndt has turned in a detailed 50-page treatment for the sci-fi sequel and that it's quite likely he'll wind up drafting the screenplay.

Arndt, who also wrote Little Miss Sunshine (winning him an Academy Award) and the upcoming Oblivion and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, is a noted fan of George Lucas's seminal film series and has publicly lectured about their merits.

The site is also reporting the rumor that Arndt's treatment includes the characters of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo and, in light of recent news, it's very likely that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will return to their respective roles.

All of this being said, the only confirmed information on Star Wars: Episode VII at this time is that it will see a release in 2015. Check back for more details as they become available.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/b44kuw8

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »

It didn’t take long for the Star Wars rumor mill to start functioning at full capacity again, once the Walt Disney company formerly announced that it is purchasing Lucasfilm from George Lucas and intends to release a third trilogy beginning with Episode VII in 2015. The news broke some 10 days ago, but people around Hollywood are still reeling from the unexpected news; not to mention, the easily-excitable Internet masses have gone into overdrive, debating the benefits and drawbacks of this development (in ways both serious and not-so-serious).

We heard some rumors about prospective directors for Episode VII earlier this week, with candidates including Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) and Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class). However, today we can offer a nice juicy rumor about who has written the screen story for the new installment.

Mark Hamill revealed last week that plans for a new Star Wars trilogy have been developing for over a year now, so it would make sense for a story treatment for Episode VII to have been written by now (seeing how we’ve heard the plan is to cover a new original story). Vulture has been told by its “informed sources” that such a 40-50 page treatment has indeed been finished, by none other than Oscar-winner Michael Arndt.
Arndt won his Academy Award for scripting Little Miss Sunshine; some four years later, he picked up an additional Oscar nod for his Toy Story 3 screenplay. He has since contributed to the scripts for the upcoming Tom Cruise sci-fi thriller Oblivion and Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire, as well as Pixar director Peter Docter’s followup to Up (with the playful working title The Untitled Pixar Movie That Takes You Inside the Mind). Hence, it would make perfect sense for Disney and LucasFilm to recruit Arndt to write up a story treatment for Episode VII, given his established relationship with the Mouse House (in combination with his stellar output to date).

Michael Arndt also co-wrote the script for ‘Catching Fire’

Arndt’s history lends further credibility to this Episode VII rumor, as he’s overseen numerous writers’ retreats in the past; specifically, ones where he traditionally breaks down and examines the effectiveness of Lucas’ screenplay for the original Star Wars installment, Episode IV – A New Hope:

"At these talks, Arndt always tells attendees that Star Wars’ enduring appeal has to do with resolving its protagonists goals’ nearly simultaneously, at the climax of the movie. In the comments section of a discussion about a Star Wars talk Arndt gave at the Austin Film Festival in 2010, one attendee of the seminar notes, “Arndt stated that if a writer could resolve the story’s arcs (internal, external, philosophical) immediately after the Moment of Despair at the climax, he or she would deliver the Insanely Great Ending and put the audience in a euphoric state. The faster it could happen, the better. By [Arndt’s] reckoning, George Lucas hit those three marks at the climax of Star Wars within a space of 22 seconds.”

The Episode VII story treatment from Arndt reportedly sets the stage for both Luke and Leia Skywalker to return in some capacity – along with Han Solo and (by extension) possibly other important characters from Episodes IV-VI. Nothing is set yet, of course, but we know that Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher met with Lucas to discuss the third Star Wars trilogy last summer; moreover, Harrison Ford recently announced that he is indeed open to the idea of reprising his role as Han Solo.

It’s also worth mentioning that Arndt’s treatment reportedly calls for “much older” versions of these characters, so the stage would be set for all three stars to return to the franchise (assuming this element of Vulture‘s scoop is accurate). Suffice it to say, there should be more than enough fan support for the trio coming back – even if the Skywalker siblings and Han Solo end up serving little purpose beyond bridging the gap between the second and third Star Wars trilogy (a la Leonard Nimoy as the older Spock in J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek reboot).

On that note, Abrams is also name-dropped as one of the individuals who will be receiving Arndt’s treatment for Episode VII. Other big-name contenders are said to include Lucas’ BFF Steven Spielberg (who was offered the chance to direct Return of the Jedi back in the day) and Brad Bird. The latter of those two filmmakers is a very popular choice among fans for tackling the Star Wars franchise, based on his work on such do-daring action-packed titles as The Incredibles and Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. However, these individuals are considered long-shots right now.

It also needs to be emphasized that this is all technically RUMOR (until we report otherwise, at least). Nonetheless, if Arndt has indeed written a story treatment for Episode VII, then there’s a good chance he’ll be involved in the actual screenwriting process (which would be welcome news indeed). Furthermore, it’s not surprising to hear that the cream of the crop are being looked at to direct – but is quite encouraging, all the same.

Source: http://screenrant.com/star-wars-episode-7-story-michael-arndt/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:17:49 PM »

DOH!

I totally missed this post and posted about the same thing.

My bad here's a point.  Undecided

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:50 PM »

It's okay Wink

I actually like yours more, it's more informative and has cool pictures Grin

EDIT: Thanks Manny! You rock Smiley
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:29:41 PM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:27:53 PM »

It's okay Wink

I actually like yours better, it's more informative and has cool pictures Grin

EDIT: Thanks Manny! You rock Smiley

Thank you.  Cheesy

Also, Thank you Manny.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »

Your welcome Smiley

Anyway, I hope he did write the story. He seems very promising. I also thoroughly enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »

You're welcome guys! And thanks for being on top of the news! This all sounds real good to me (though I have yet to see Toy Story 3 so I have NO idea as to that writer's practical skill, but I've heard very good things), and I totally knew Ford would be willing to make a come back. Wink

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »

You're welcome guys! And thanks for being on top of the news! This all sounds real good to me (though I have yet to see Toy Story 3 so I have NO idea as to that writer's practical skill, but I've heard very good things), and I totally knew Ford would be willing to make a come back. Wink

You haven't... what.

WATCH IT RIGHT NOW!

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »

But I'm at work right now. lol

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:36:56 PM »

But I'm at work right now. lol

Watch it when you get back home Cheesy Watch it with your GF too.

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »

Looks like Star Wars is in good hands!

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »

Looks like Star Wars is in good hands!

Right, look at that mans face. lol

Is it just me or does the Oscar he's holding look like it's been Photoshoped in? 

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »

Right, look at that mans face. lol

Is it just me or does the Oscar he's holding look like it's been Photoshoped in? 

I dunno, but if it was, than you have a good eye Grin

I do think he would be a great fit though. Now they just need J.J. Abrams to direct it. I will not settle for anyone less!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »

I dunno, but if it was, than you have a good eye Grin

I do think he would be a great fit though. Now they just need J.J. Abrams to direct it. I will not settle for anyone less!

It just looks like he's being photo-bombed by the Oscar.  Cheesy

==============================

Anyone but Michael Bay, I'd take Uwe Boll over Michael Bay.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »

I would take a chimpanzee over Michael Bay....

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: