Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 939879 times)
For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #2850 on: October 24, 2018, 06:49:55 PM »

Hi All,

I know how that feels. I studied Performance and Theatrical Production at college and I worked myself into the ground for two years. The reason being that the class was sort of divided into the "Acting" section and the "Technical" section. The problem stemmed from the fact none of the "Actors" wanted to get their hands dirty helping build sets, erect and set lighting or installing the sound system. That fell to me and the course tutor (though he was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company!)

Long story short, after the two years of graft of putting on shows the college managed to "Lose" my coursework and told me I had repeat the first year curriculum...even though I had already had that work marked by the exam board(else I wouldn't have been allowed to start Year Two). I had no choice but to leave the course.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2851 on: October 24, 2018, 07:51:19 PM »

That's great.  When I share my views on success, many automatically assume I discount peoples work.  Far from it.  I just see that some people's hard work pays off more than others.  Like I said I have my theories on that...
My view on success: no matter what you do, life-saving surgeon or shell shoveler, if you do it to the best of your ability, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2852 on: October 24, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »

My view on success: no matter what you do, life-saving surgeon or shell shoveler, if you do it to the best of your ability, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

You don't have to be ashamed of something to hate it Tongue

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2853 on: October 24, 2018, 08:28:03 PM »

You don't have to be ashamed of something to hate it Tongue
But you would hate it less if you took pride enough to do it well.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2854 on: October 24, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »

But you would hate it less if you took pride enough to do it well.

I actually do my job above what is required of me.  I come in hours before I an supposed to, stay late.  Come in on my off time if something get backed up.  I was taught if you have a job to do you do it 120%... pride doesn't factor in to it.   I'm not ashamed of my job, nor do I love it or take pride in it.  But its not in me to just not do my job to the best of my ability.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #2855 on: October 24, 2018, 09:43:13 PM »

I know that is the common "right" thing to say to give your 110% but honestly there is really no loyalty towards employees in the corporate world.  With this in mind, some of the best advice I got was from my friend who said jokingly never give 100% at work because then it will be expected of you daily.  At first it that may sound crass but it is quite wise.  When you have a high profile project or something your boss really is counting on you to do, then give your all and then some.  They will appreciate it more and more importantly, remember it.  And then go back on cruise control.  In Spanish there is a saying for this "crea fama y echate a dormir" which loosely translate to "create a reputation and then rest." Cheesy

When you give too much daily you may burn yourself out and then can't put on the afterburners or more to the point, the afterburners aren't as noticeable when you really need them, so the higher ups won't take as much notice.  I have gotten continuous promotions of higher pay and increasing managing roles with this philosophy.  Also leaders are expected to be calm and graceful under fire, if you are burning at 100% all the time, then it is hard to give off that impression, and perception is reality many times.  Delegating and empowering others often gives better results than taking on and doing yourself.  Again though I speak from a corporate world perspective, where you need to have a watch out for number one type attitude.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2856 on: October 24, 2018, 11:19:33 PM »

I know that is the common "right" thing to say to give your 110% but honestly there is really no loyalty towards employees in the corporate world.  With this in mind, some of the best advice I got was from my friend who said jokingly never give 100% at work because then it will be expected of you daily.  At first it that may sound crass but it is quite wise.  When you have a high profile project or something your boss really is counting on you to do, then give your all and then some.  They will appreciate it more and more importantly, remember it.  And then go back on cruise control.  In Spanish there is a saying for this "crea fama y echate a dormir" which loosely translate to "create a reputation and then rest." Cheesy

When you give too much daily you may burn yourself out and then can't put on the afterburners or more to the point, the afterburners aren't as noticeable when you really need them, so the higher ups won't take as much notice.  I have gotten continuous promotions of higher pay and increasing managing roles with this philosophy.  Also leaders are expected to be calm and graceful under fire, if you are burning at 100% all the time, then it is hard to give off that impression, and perception is reality many times.  Delegating and empowering others often gives better results than taking on and doing yourself.  Again though I speak from a corporate world perspective, where you need to have a watch out for number one type attitude.

I understand what you are saying, and it isn't bad advice. I am however, very similar to Tepes in that I was raised to work hard and to the best of my ability. I'm not going to do less than my all just so I have the chance of getting a raise or anything like that (I realize that isn't exactly what you are saying, just using it to make a point), because that is not the way I was raised/taught. For someone else, it is probably great advice, but it just isn't for me. Smiley

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2857 on: October 25, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »

I actually do my job above what is required of me.  I come in hours before I an supposed to, stay late.  Come in on my off time if something get backed up.  I was taught if you have a job to do you do it 120%... pride doesn't factor in to it.   I'm not ashamed of my job, nor do I love it or take pride in it.  But its not in me to just not do my job to the best of my ability.
Obviously it is. Despite sounding cool, there is no such thing as 110%. You can't do better than your best. And if you can, then your "best" wasn't your best.

Moving on....

Has anyone ever noticed that when on privately owned starships, no one ever listens to music. We know music is an intrinsic aspect of the SW universe, but it always takes a back seat instead of riding shotgun. Like, can honestly tell me that Lando didn't have a sound system in the cockpit of the Falcon?

Sig by For Tyeth

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2858 on: October 25, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »

Has anyone ever noticed that when on privately owned starships, no one ever listens to music. We know music is an intrinsic aspect of the SW universe, but it always takes a back seat instead of riding shotgun. Like, can honestly tell me that Lando didn't have a sound system in the cockpit of the Falcon?

I know! I always imagined Lando as the guy to be blaring music during the attack on the Death Star 2, it always bugged me that the only places that even had music was the bars.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2859 on: October 25, 2018, 01:04:57 PM »

Actual footage....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOYTVIviSXY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7tmaYObIQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2860 on: October 25, 2018, 03:20:05 PM »

That's funny Infinit. I would give you a point, but I already gave you one about 3 minutes ago. POINT IN 57 MINUTES!!

-Broadside

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2861 on: October 25, 2018, 03:24:51 PM »

That's funny Infinit. I would give you a point, but I already gave you one about 3 minutes ago. POINT IN 57 MINUTES!!

haha, thanks.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2862 on: October 25, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »

I know! I always imagined Lando as the guy to be blaring music during the attack on the Death Star 2, it always bugged me that the only places that even had music was the bars.
Jabba's Palace....The opera house on Coruscant. That was pretty much it.

Sig by For Tyeth

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2863 on: October 25, 2018, 08:18:33 PM »

why don't we see any yellow sabers in the movies? they are the best!

-Broadside

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2864 on: October 25, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »

why don't we see any yellow sabers in the movies? they are the best!
Cuz Georgie Porgie wasn't cool enough to think beyond what was establish in the OT.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: