Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 939902 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3600 on: May 11, 2020, 10:56:57 AM »

No matter what our opinions are on the quality of the films, its the $$$$ that does the talking.....and Star Wars under Disney has been failing.  It may not seem like it to us who 1 billion dollars is an unattainable dream...but to Disney its a loss.  Or a break even at least.  They are not making nearly the money they surely wanted...or could be making on an IP like Star Wars.  Galaxy's Edge attendance is low as can be before the pandemic, as Saso said the films have made less and less money with Solo pretty much bombing. Home sales are Dismal and where the majority of Star Wars revenue comes from...merchandise...is a joke.  To see Star Wars figures being peg warmers is sad and funny enough..its always the Sequel Characters hanging there.  OT and PT characters are usually bought up.  The head of Gentle Giant (they make busts and statues) even said straight out in a recent article that they see little to no demand for Sequel Trilogy characters.  I was more than willing to give KK the benefit of the doubt but almost every (IMO) bad decision can be laid at her feet.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #3601 on: May 11, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »

No matter what our opinions are on the quality of the films, its the $$$$ that does the talking.....and Star Wars under Disney has been failing.  It may not seem like it to us who 1 billion dollars is an unattainable dream...but to Disney its a loss.  Or a break even at least.  They are not making nearly the money they surely wanted...or could be making on an IP like Star Wars.  Galaxy's Edge attendance is low as can be before the pandemic, as Saso said the films have made less and less money with Solo pretty much bombing. Home sales are Dismal and where the majority of Star Wars revenue comes from...merchandise...is a joke.  To see Star Wars figures being peg warmers is sad and funny enough..its always the Sequel Characters hanging there.  OT and PT characters are usually bought up.  The head of Gentle Giant (they make busts and statues) even said straight out in a recent article that they see little to no demand for Sequel Trilogy characters.  I was more than willing to give KK the benefit of the doubt but almost every (IMO) bad decision can be laid at her feet.

Ehh not sure where you're getting the money assertion from.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Star-Wars#tab=summary

As this article shows the top 4 grossing SW movies have all been under Kennedy. True Solo bombed, but Force Awakens and TLJ absolutely KILLED it with their earnings, bringing in more than 600% of their production budget. Even TRoS brought in 3x its production budget. Between ONLY the three mainline films of the sequel trilogy, Disney made almost 4 billion dollars. In fact, Star Wars the Force Awakens is the fourth highest grossing movie of all time adjusted for inflation, as seen below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Star Wars under Disney may not be your favorite, but it makes money

I cant find exact numbers for Galaxy's Edge, but im pretty sure they could cover the loss with the bank vaults they made from the movies. Still not counting Rogue 1, TCW, Mandalorian...

EDIT: Galaxy's edge estimated cost is at 1 billion. So yeah I think they covered the loss there.

EDIT 2: Disney has made an estimated 6-7 billion on the franchise.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3602 on: May 11, 2020, 02:47:30 PM »

As this article shows the top 4 grossing SW movies have all been under Kennedy. True Solo bombed, but Force Awakens and TLJ absolutely KILLED it with their earnings, bringing in more than 600% of their production budget. Even TRoS brought in 3x its production budget. Between ONLY the three mainline films of the sequel trilogy, Disney made almost 4 billion dollars. In fact, Star Wars the Force Awakens is the fourth highest grossing movie of all time adjusted for inflation, as seen below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Star Wars under Disney may not be your favorite, but it makes money

I cant find exact numbers for Galaxy's Edge, but im pretty sure they could cover the loss with the bank vaults they made from the movies. Still not counting Rogue 1, TCW, Mandalorian...

EDIT: Galaxy's edge estimated cost is at 1 billion. So yeah I think they covered the loss there.

EDIT 2: Disney has made an estimated 6-7 billion on the franchise.

I never said they didn't make Money...I said they are not making the money they Could, Should or wanted to.  In 6 years They have made 6-7 billion on a franchise they paid 4.05 billion for.  It should have been much much more by this point.  Fact remains the Higher Ups are not happy with its performance.   Like I stated before, to us that is an awful lot of money...to Them...its a drop in the bucket.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3603 on: May 11, 2020, 08:10:31 PM »

So. . . that is what Disney says. This was something directly from Dave Filoni, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care for all aspects of the current crystal lore. I also think there might be something to do with the "lightside" crystals being able to change their color (as seen in Jedi: Fallen Order), but to turn them red, you have to "bleed" them. I know you don't like that.
Well, it is my well noted observation that Filoni doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. I was under the impression, from both canons, that if a kyber crystal isn't properly aligned the saber goes boom. So tell us, Dave, how does one more finely tune a lazr sord?

I was just wondering what you thought about Ahsoka's blades turning blue. I can't find where Dave is talking about it, but I've tried to explain it as best as I can, and it is more in line with how the crystal stuff was before Disney.
Yeah, I thought it was another dumb, useless shark jump.

There is talk that Filoni is going to be taking on a Feige type roll in the Star Wars universe (this is from various articles and implied in some of his own words).  After watching the first two episodes of "Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian” I'm all for it.  Not only is he Lucus' protege (and still consults with him) but he gets Star Wars.  Not like KK (she nearly ruins the second episode).  She has no idea what Star Wars is about, much less how to develop it.  Favreau and Filoni get it. 
Favreau I think gets it, but Filoni most certainly does NOT. Even before Disney took over, TCW was one #$%& up after another. YES, it had some moments, but they couldn't save the series.

If nothing else, hopefully it will give you a bit more respect for Filoni.
That is a Colossus level tall order.

I’ve never actually felt anything negative toward KK even though I have read how people feel about here. Mostly because I have never watched her speak or read something she wrote or was commented in. But man she bugged me in that episode. I was glad to see her gone for the second half. She kept interrupting and trying to control the conversation.

That's what she does. How many movies had to get new directors because the originals woudn't follow her agenda?

That is very indicative of how she always is in interviews and the like.  She seems to see herself as the Savior of Star Wars when she is the opposite.  Simply put she is making the same mistake many keep making in Hollywood.... they try to reach different demographics at the cost of their current fanbase...and it never works.
PREACH, bruddah.

I honestly think KK knows a lot about film making. She has obviously done some good work in the past, but I just can't stand her attitude towards SW and how she thinks she knows it better than anyone else.
The same could be said about Lucas himself. He succeeded with the OT, so when it came to the PT, he was "infallible". Despite being the creator, he failed to realize that the EU had major ground coverage by the time to prequels were released, and the fans had evolved to expect greater things than what he was prepared to deliver; thus the ensuing backlash that the PT was "garbage". He didn't pay enough attention to the fans, and focused solely on what HE wanted, not his audience.

KK certainly has a very impressive resume (even being one of the dancers in the opening of Temple of Doom) and indeed that is why many of us didn't bat an eyelash when Lucas picked her to run Lucasfilm.  But, Executive Producers rarely have a lot of creative input if any at all.  She seemingly decided she wanted to take on the role Lucas himself had as creator as well as head of the Studio.  She saw a chance to remake Star Wars in the way she wanted.  I personally never wanted her fired or replaced...just for her to step away from the creative part of it.
Unfortunately, she has the same methodology as Hitler: Like what I create or I'll have you terminated. She's a dictator, nothing more.

Lucasfilm made great things last years with Disney : Rebels, Rogue One, Solo, The Mandalorian ....

In fact, to me (and it is my opinion only), the only thing disappointing during the Disney era is the main trilogy considering the old EU legend ....
I wouldn't go so far as to say "great". I'd put all those into the range of okay - pretty good. Tongue

No matter what our opinions are on the quality of the films, its the $$$$ that does the talking.....and Star Wars under Disney has been failing.  It may not seem like it to us who 1 billion dollars is an unattainable dream...but to Disney its a loss.  Or a break even at least.  They are not making nearly the money they surely wanted...or could be making on an IP like Star Wars.  Galaxy's Edge attendance is low as can be before the pandemic, as Saso said the films have made less and less money with Solo pretty much bombing. Home sales are Dismal and where the majority of Star Wars revenue comes from...merchandise...is a joke.  To see Star Wars figures being peg warmers is sad and funny enough..its always the Sequel Characters hanging there.  OT and PT characters are usually bought up.  The head of Gentle Giant (they make busts and statues) even said straight out in a recent article that they see little to no demand for Sequel Trilogy characters.  I was more than willing to give KK the benefit of the doubt but almost every (IMO) bad decision can be laid at her feet.
That's because the ST characters were soulless blocks of wood. Each one was pretty much a generalization of a demographic that was shoehorned into a played out archetype.

I watched TROS with mom last night. At her best, she is 9-10% of the SW fan I am. Casual movie viewer, but still gets excited for new SW. By the end she was just, "Well, now I can say I've seen them all." This coming from a woman that saw the OG 7 TIMES (I think) when it released in 1977. A person that represents half of the organization responsible for MY love of Star Wars, watches the last movie, and was honestly glad it was over. That was the first saga installment that she never saw at the theatre.

In fact, Star Wars the Force Awakens is the fourth highest grossing movie of all time adjusted for inflation, as seen below.
I think this statistic is skewed. TFA made more simply because the worldwide fanbase was just over the excited by new SW movie. They eagerly shelled out for tix to go see this thing. But when it failed to deliver, fewer went to see subsequent films. The overall numbers isn't the issue, the trend in declining ticket sales IS. The thing is, Disney expected to buy this franchise and make more money than God, no matter what kind of dreck they put out. Now they are seeing that although we can get easily excited, we won't just buy anything.

I never said they didn't make Money...I said they are not making the money they Could, Should or wanted to.  In 6 years They have made 6-7 billion on a franchise they paid 4.05 billion for.  It should have been much much more by this point.  Fact remains the Higher Ups are not happy with its performance.   Like I stated before, to us that is an awful lot of money...to Them...its a drop in the bucket.
All of the THIS.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3604 on: May 11, 2020, 11:21:52 PM »

It's worth noting that as I was looking up the box office figures for the Sequels it piqued my interest as to whether or not the OT and Prequels did something similar with their box office numbers. Surprisingly the OT mirrored the same kind of steady decline with Episodes 4-6, Prequels on the other hand were a totally different story with TPM making a bundle, AOTC suffering quite a bit, and ROTS surging back. I'm loathe to say that the OT and Sequels had the same pattern at the box office, so I won't. If I remember correctly the various movies were re-released back into theaters so I'm not sure how that factors in. I don't see the Sequels making a re-release into theaters any time soon.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3605 on: May 12, 2020, 06:49:28 PM »

It's worth noting that as I was looking up the box office figures for the Sequels it piqued my interest as to whether or not the OT and Prequels did something similar with their box office numbers. Surprisingly the OT mirrored the same kind of steady decline with Episodes 4-6, Prequels on the other hand were a totally different story with TPM making a bundle, AOTC suffering quite a bit, and ROTS surging back. I'm loathe to say that the OT and Sequels had the same pattern at the box office, so I won't. If I remember correctly the various movies were re-released back into theaters so I'm not sure how that factors in. I don't see the Sequels making a re-release into theaters any time soon.
I'm curious to know how the OT stacks up against the ST when you adjust for inflation.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #3606 on: May 12, 2020, 07:08:42 PM »

I'm curious to know how the OT stacks up against the ST when you adjust for inflation.
Here you go:
https://ew.com/movies/star-wars-movies-box-office-comparison/?slide=5824048#5824048

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3607 on: May 12, 2020, 08:01:17 PM »

I'm calling bull$#!% on these numbers. There is no that $213M is worth $218M after only 1 stinking year.

Sig by For Tyeth

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

« Reply #3608 on: May 12, 2020, 08:32:25 PM »

I'm calling bull$#!% on these numbers. There is no that $213M is worth $218M after only 1 stinking year.
Well, first it's been two years since Solo came out.  Second, it is worth that.  Check it yourself.
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com

Household US Arsenal:
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3609 on: May 12, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »

Well, first it's been two years since Solo came out.  Second, it is worth that.  Check it yourself.
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com
This has the same inflation adjustment for Solo (2018) in 2019 dollars to only be $216M. I was right. Someone cooked the books. Been a lot of that lately. Roll Eyes

Sig by For Tyeth

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

« Reply #3610 on: May 12, 2020, 08:52:44 PM »

This has the same inflation adjustment for Solo (2018) in 2019 dollars to only be $216M. I was right. Someone cooked the books. Been a lot of that lately. Roll Eyes
But the article was written in 2020.  May 1, 2020 to be exact.  So...

Household US Arsenal:
Mine:

Wife’s:

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3611 on: May 12, 2020, 09:06:08 PM »

But the article was written in 2020.  May 1, 2020 to be exact.  So...
By that metric, even TROS would have needed to have it's take adjusted to match current dollar value.

Sig by For Tyeth

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

« Reply #3612 on: May 12, 2020, 09:30:19 PM »

By that metric, even TROS would have needed to have it's take adjusted to match current dollar value.
Not enough time has passed for it to be truly affected by inflation.

Household US Arsenal:
Mine:

Wife’s:

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3613 on: May 12, 2020, 09:36:27 PM »

So by these Numbers it would be as follows ( I'm not counting Solo or R1)

Star Wars (ANH)
The Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace
Return of the Jedi
The Empire Strikes Back
The Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Rise of Skywalker
Attack of the Clones

Interesting to note that the top Three are all the Beginnings of their respective trilogies.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3614 on: May 12, 2020, 11:12:11 PM »

So by these Numbers it would be as follows ( I'm not counting Solo or R1)

Star Wars (ANH)
The Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace
Return of the Jedi
The Empire Strikes Back
The Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Rise of Skywalker
Attack of the Clones

Interesting to note that the top Three are all the Beginnings of their respective trilogies.

Also interesting to note that as soon as you get past the three firsts, ROTJ and ESB are the next two.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: