Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘Tomb Raider’ Reboot Moving Forward as MGM Acquires Distribution Rights  (Read 2812 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: March 28, 2013, 01:49:03 AM »

Square Enix’s latest reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise saw the video game series’ heroine taken back to her roots in an origin story that showed a naïve, untrained young scholar begin on the path towards becoming the fearless explorer/warrior that players (and moviegoers) have seen portrayed before. The reboot might best be considered a calculated risk that mostly paid off – the game reportedly sold over a million copies within two days of its release (though still undersold according to Square Enix’s expectations) – and received generally favorable reviews from critics.

Previously, the film rights were acquired by GK Films a couple of years ago, but things have gone very quiet on that front since then. Until, recent developments.

Now, THR reports that MGM is partnering with GK in order to begin development on the film – with MGM’s CEO Gary Barber and GK Films’ founder Graham King jointly announcing the new partnership along with King’s intent to act as producer.

Graham King has produced a large number of successes in the past, including Rango, The Departed and Argo, though it’s probably best to wait for news on a screenwriter, director and star before assessing how much of a success this new Tomb Raider movie is likely to be. The video game has already been adapted for the screen twice, with Angelina Jolie in the leading role for Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.

The films were based on the series in general, as opposed to having a plot from any particular one of the games, but neither film was an origin story and the first opened with Lara already established as a successful and accomplished collector of ancient artifacts. MGM and GK Films’ Tomb Raider movie will be a full reboot, separate from Paramount Pictures’ much-maligned franchise, and though it might not be a direct adaptation of the latest video game, it will definitely be an origin story.

Graham King said during the project’s inception:

“There’s something about her character and going back to her roots, and that’s what we’re doing with this. You’re actually gonna meet her before she has all her powers as Lara Croft. It’s more of a character study, but it’s a really fun, fun adventure story.”

Jolie is not likely to be brought back to play Lara again but there are still a number of excellent candidates out there for the character. Megan Fox has firmly turned down the role but rumors and interest surrounding TRON: Legacy star Olivia Wilde began spreading in 2011 – after the actress was seen sporting a Lara Croft costume for a House M.D. photoshoot.

Another option for consideration is Camilla Luddington, who voiced Lara in the recent video game and has also had recurring roles in True Blood, Grey’s Anatomy and Californication (as well as playing Kate Middleton in the best-forgotten TV movie William & Kate).

Since the talent roster is still wide open, let us know your fantasy casting for the new Tomb Raider movie – along with your ideal choices for the screenwriter and director in the comments.

We’ll let you know as soon as MGM announce a release date for Tomb Raider.

Source: http://screenrant.com/tomb-raider-movie-reboot-update-mgm/

If they make something based around the reboot of the game that would be fantastic; It is an awesome game, truly awesome.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:10:38 AM »

I haven't played it yet, but I want to. This is good news!

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »

Since the talent roster is still wide open, let us know your fantasy casting for the new Tomb Raider movie – along with your ideal choices for the screenwriter and director in the comments.

I'm going to throw a wrench in the whole thing and say Geek Girl Dayna Baby Lou should play Lara Croft.  Google her.  She looks way more like Croft than Jolie ever did. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »

According to everybody I know who played the game, it sucked. I won't bother to get it until the prices drop significantly, so I can't judge for myself, but from what I've seen it seems to be a usual case of "critics love it, real people hate it".

Also:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/27/analyst-tomb-raider-cost-100-million-needs-10-million-sales-to-succeed/

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/26/square-financials-tomb-raider-hitman-sleeping-dogs-fail-to-hit-sales-targets/

Doesn't exactly seem like an ideal time to make a movie.

no

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:44:33 PM »

Luna ruins everything Roll Eyes Grin

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:53:49 PM »

I own all three of those, and they're great games.

Sleeping Dog's was way better than any GTA I have played, Hitman is by far the best in the series and the character development and setting of Tomb Raider makes it almost like an interactive movie.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:11:35 AM »

I own all three of those, and they're great games.

Sleeping Dog's was way better than any GTA I have played, Hitman is by far the best in the series and the character development and setting of Tomb Raider makes it almost like an interactive movie.

They weren't necessarily hated by critics or players (well, except for Tomb Raider), but finances aren't subjective.

no

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: