Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Question about installing soundboard  (Read 2825 times)
Jaina Solo
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

There is no chaos, there is harmony...

« on: March 19, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »

Hi everybody! I have a initiate V3 with standard battery setup and no sound or emerald and was interested in buying an obsidian v3 soundboard for it. How easy is it to install (if it is even compatible)? Also, is there anything else that I would need to buy for it besides for a new pommel with vents? Any help is appreciated! Thanks! Grin

Jaina Solo
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »

By the way, I can solder but would rather not on my saber.

Sypho Ruut
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 58

Light side.. just

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:04:20 PM »

I don't know how this got missed, but I'm afraid there's no way you can install sound yourself without any soldering. As far as i'm aware the bare minimum you'd need would be the soundboard and speaker, momentary switch, and the tools necessary to fit the larger diameter switch. Ideally, you'd need the bits for the Li-on batteries too.

Your best bet if you'd rather avoid soldering would be to send it in for an upgrade, so I'd recommend sending US an email to ask about that. That way, everything comes back warrantied too.

Owned;
 Flamberge-BR/emerald/BR-obsidian
 Dark Liberator-GB

Want;
 Mantis in BH
 Archon in AB
 Monarch in SY

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »

I don't know how you haven't gotten any replies yet, but it definitely is compatible.  You will just need to replace the standard battery pack with a Li-Ion one (get the battery holder with the attached speaker) and add a buckpuck.  I assume you would be using the same LED module that is already in the saber?

I can't say how easy the Obsidian board is to work with, I have only wired cheaper boards sold by the other guys, but I think it comes pre-wired so you don't have to do any soldering directly on the board.  

There may be more I am not thinking of right now, but someone else can probably fill in the gaps for you.

Edit: I forgot you need a momentary switch.  If you know how to solder I would just buy the board and do it yourself.  If you send it in you will be paying shipping both ways plus an additional fee for disassembly and reassembly.  Plus it is a very rewarding experience when you fire that thing up for the first time.  Cool

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Jaina Solo
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:03:58 AM »

Thank you so much! I will definitely take this into consideration. I might just wait to get sound until my next saber purchase, but I  will let you know when I decide! Wink

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 01:12:45 PM »

I think that would be a good idea, especially if you wait until the V4 board is publicly released.  It will cost a little bit more than the V3, but there is nothing quite like being able to switch between multiple sound fonts at the push of a button.  Cool

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: