Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hilt Wrap Methods, steps  (Read 1878 times)
Bulvoy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 500

~Sipra Gehaz~ Rebel Legion "Ghost Base"

« on: November 18, 2015, 09:36:31 PM »

Greetings,
 After looking around at some of the ideas, and leather works on the hilts, i thought id share my .02 worth, of bringing some trade skills from custom Sword hilts to carry onto here.
if one is looking for a nice to Sweet wrap, but does not want the stitching, or s basic cord wrap this is what i have done for years, which will work for saber hilts. aside from a tutitorial, these are the basic's everyone adjust's their own style. before i start  in short i tested my old method this morning  on the inner lining of my scorpion pommel, to see if the adhesive qualities will work on aluminum ( being this is mainly a sword grip, wood core method.) It held like no tomorrow, even from trying to tear it off  took  extreme effort to do so. So in my opinion will work , feel perfect. non slippage etc. will be using this method on a basic saber in the future for fun
  Part 1. What you will need:

1. go to your local, hardawre store, buy the 2 part  Loctite epoxy " resin/ Hardner" $6 are bigger bottles will last forever , can get a small pack $3
2. if you want to place riser's on your hilt grab some craft cord small mm. 6' - $3
3. scrap leather remmants price varies, (2 -3 oz is what i have always used) craft store/ you can order squares off of yes Dreaded ebay) simple search, colors of your choice all the way to whole hides. No exisiting leather ie, from a cut up purse wallet etc, if you do this method WILL FAIL
4. popcicle sticks/ croche hook ( explanation later )
5. small bowl of water
6. razor blade / craft hobby knife
7. scissors
8. Ribbon/ yarn/  ( will be used to wrap around your project for a few hrs to keep everything in place like a vice)
9. masking tape/ painters tape
10. Your favorite drink
11. Patience

Step 1. wrap your leather piece around hilt  cut desired length/ position etc. leave plenty of over -lap a few inches, (Always better to have extra then not enough)
   Tape Off the area that will not have the wrap to avoid accidental epoxy where you don't want it. As you go if u get epoxy where it shoudln't be just wipe it off with a damp paper towel

Step 2. (OPTINIONAL) use the small " mm" craft cord cut the length you need  to the wrap around hilt for a riser ( * riser = better hand grip), now you can also make any design / pattern you may like ( Keeping in mind the more intricate pattern desired the more effort it will take) you still keeping that in mind need to allow for spacing between the cord, so you will be able to get your leather pressed firmly down ( Flush) with  the surface of your hilt. now mix a very small equal amount of resin & epoxy use the popcilce stick to dab the spots where your cord is going * Note - sections at a time you will need to hold the cord to your hilt, till it takes hold, a few mins being this is a metal not a wood grip. when all completed let dry for 10 mins for max holding

3.whether or not u used risers you get the idea. Now take your leather piece lay it flat  , then use your fingers dab small amounts of water  to the inside, along the edge for your starting point like  the entire side length, and about  1" wide across etc. Moisten DO NOT saturate.
4. Mix a fair amount of the epoxy, say the puddle size of a quarter.
5. grab popcicle stick smear some of the epoxy on then start your edge, press moderately along your start point until epoxy starts to take hold.  2 mins. ( with risers, as you press down use your fingernails to groove out the leather to form it around the cord)
6. keep going small sections at a time, repeat. * for the risers/ designs, use another popcicle stick to help you form the leather around the cord, small meeting points i use a croche hook.
 i dont know how big this post can be, so part 2 next after a freshing up  my Rum n coke Cool
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:11:46 PM by Bulvoy » Logged

UltraSaber's by bulvoy, on Flickr
Menace - Emerald V4s- RavenSS pommel
Manticore V4s-CG- S /FOC-Renegade small pommel
Crimson Scorpion- V4s-BR- O/FOC
Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA
            "Im here to chew bubblegum & kick ass, and I'm all outta bubblegum"...

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:10:27 PM »

Part 2.
 step 7.  keep going around your hilt, risers etc, going small sections at a time, making sure  any cords are firmly pressed formed. * when using risers you will notice as you get around to meet your starting point it wont be even of course, Hence the 3" overlap extra matertial to work with.

step 8. as you go if your leather is getting stiff, too hard to work with even though its supple, dab more water on it with your fingers, until desired pliable. AGAIN Do Not saturate, just moisten. Too much water will not let the epoxy do its job.

step 9. As you reach your starting edge, you have 2 choices:
 #1. with your overlap get a pen and mark a line where the two edges meet. cut your matching edge ( Dont worry if you cut it not perfect and  a spot or 2 will not meet your starting point. you can re- mosten the leather and as you press down  on the leather you can stretch it to meet original edge.

#2.  My personal favorite little time, but much cleaner of an edge. use your over lap to go  say 1/4 " past the exsisting edge,  make your straight line cut  But now your actually past the exisiting edge. take hobby knife/ razor blade  and on the inside  ( curl the leather over) start shaving off the inside leather  of the overlapped section untill it gets  very thin.  continue to epoxy it down pressing moderately but now constantly go over the overlapped edge make sure it has taken hold

Step 10. now that your done, although your wrap feels  tight etc, you need to keep a small amount of pressure on it for a few hrs, because since you moistened the leather it needs to dry. But we cannot just leave it on the table need fairly even pressure so when  it dries it doesnt become deformed, mainly with risers. so Take some yarn or Ribbon ( i use "1 wide ribbon) and wrap the crap out of the entire section you just customized. tie it off, done, grab another drink go watch tv. check it out overnight. DONT be curious, just wait untill morning when everything is fully dried, you don't want to squish the leather in its half dried state.

this set of picture is my work  hilts for Swords I know, but i havent  had a saber to do it too, my scorpion doesnt need a wrap so in the future ill ge ta base model and  go to town on it.
On the left is edge to edge, and the right is the over lap , shave your overlay thin method. and the designs there is alot you can play around with in your imagination
 If anyone is interested and has any questions feel free to ask or pm me

BEFORE CUSTOM AND AFTER

AFTER

Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 08:52:40 AM »

Cool tutorial!

Dark side point Wink ?

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Bulvoy
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »

Cool tutorial!

Dark side point Wink ?

Thank you, Apologies to Everyone that instructions are on sword hilts, being new too here much i want before i buy a " plain jane" and trick it out. But it will work . would have done a video but i havent done anything current.  And yes , Although Honor orientated, darkside is too attractive  Shocked

Dominix V3s-SRD
Initiate V4 Lite- VA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: