Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Wind Chimes  (Read 26315 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 03:07:22 AM »

TR put it perfectly: the Song has been/is corrupted on Sullust. But the other surprise is the meeting of additional singers!  Especially those of dubious allegiance.  NOT at all what I had expected!

And Karm, your concerns are groundless: this chapter reads fantastically!  Not sure what you "missed" but I assure you that we didn't find anything lacking  Wink

And it speaks volumes that Karm is vacillating from one choice to another; but that's what makes the Night Sisters such dangerous opponents!  And it gives me ideas about the Song vs. the Force (I see them as...plural components of the same mechanism).  Hmm.  Thank you; I need to incorporate this in my next chapter  Wink

Until next installment friends  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »

The dicotomy is the point.  The force is saying two things, essentially.  One in the Song, the other in the "normal" channel most force users access.
Gotta run.  I remembered the part I missed!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »

Chapter 6: Minions

The pub turned out to have excellent beer.  At least, I assumed it was excellent - the squad from the Cobalt Front's local militia certain drank it quickly and efficiently.  My own stood untasted: a personal choice concerning the drink's alcohol content.  Coffee was as strong a drink as I allowed myself.  Fortunately, the barkeep was apparently also adept at making hot, caffeinated drinks as well.  The Sullustian waited until the replacement beverage was presented and tasted before speaking himself.

<Peace be upon you friend.>

I dipped my head  to him.  "And on you, peace, my friend."  The formal phrases were not often used in society but here in Fulluusub where there were such a wide variety of views and beliefs it was still common practice to speak them - and honor them.  I watched the Mandalorian tense a bit as the phrase was spoken, then  suddenly relax at my response.  Just as the Militia unit was now honor-bound to treat us as guests, we were bound by our honor to act as guests and respect our hosts.

Which meant no shooting, slicing or dicing allowed.  Thank the Maker.

I took another sip of the drink.  It was expresso based but had a high chocolate content and was almost to sweet but in small doses was very good indeed.  "And thank you, this is excellent."

<You are most welcome.  So, to business: You hunt the witch?>

I nodded.  "Yes, we are hunting the witch.  What can you tell us of her?"

<She spent much time here.  She and her Clan-Sister came here together originally and took rooms not far from here.  For some time they were very busy, rarely leaving or going anywhere at all, but they were supplied with a steady stream of cargo containers, usually from ships much like yours.  Then those containers were taken back out and put on Imperial transports bound for the Sanctuary Moon.>  He looked around, still obviously nervous.  I was doing what I could to quell that, damping the odd danger signals in the song still hammering away from somewhere nearby and sending a soothing flow into the Sullustian's mind with the force, enhancing his sense of ease and well being, while encouraging him to trust me.  <Shortly before the Rebels came one of them left, taking half of the males in her Warren-Clan with her.  Others, young men of skill and ability, started to disappear after that, always near this place.  She was adding them to her Warren-Clan, somehow convincing them to remain with her despite all we could do.   Great fear enveloped this place, and finally we could stand it no more.  We approached her and drover her from this place.>

"So, she is no longer here?"  I hid my disappointment.  I had already known the sisters had split up, but the Intel was so firm on her being on Sullust!  How had we messed that up?

<She is not on the planet...>  Eyes shifted.  <But she is in the system.  I know where.>

I sensed the change in the Sullustian's mood.  This was going to cost us something.  Something big.  So big he was afraid to even ask for it...  "Spit it out.  What's your price?"

<End the fear.>

I rocked back, looked back at the Mandalorian.  He was standing alone now, his blaster slung but still deactivated, and he kept glancing around, his empty hands flexing as if he'd much rather be holding a weapon.  ANY weapon....   I braced myself and opened my senses to the force again...

Blinding strobes....

I damped my preception and turned to the song.

DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER DANG...

I pulled away from the song hard, physically shaking my head.  "Wow..."

<End the fear.  That is my price.>

I looked at the Sullustian.  "I make no promises, but I will try.  Take me to her lair."

It was a short walk.  I gripped my hilt in my hand, the gentle hum of the saber in my mind a reassuring presence.  The sense of forboding and outright fear had grown as we had approached, to the point where it was nearly overwhelming.  The force-sensitive Mandalorian was actually cringing, something I had never expected to see out of any Mandalorian soldier, merc or otherwise. 

She had been here...

I looked around the room.  There was an overpowering echo of the song here, but ... distorted.  Twisted.  And very, very powerful.  I had not felt a place echo with the Song like this since my father's study as a child, and then it had been....

it sings to me

My eyes grew wide.  "A crystal..."  I could feel the power of it.  It was very strong ... and very close.  "Arnor, do you have a mineral scanner?"

"Yes." She reached into her belt pouch.  "What am I looking for?"

"Pontite."

Arnor set her scanner and started her scan.  "Interestring...  There are trace amounts in the walls.  Apparently the local plaster is laced with tiny microscopic Adegan crystals, and about 20% of those are pontite..."  She stopped suddenly.  "Whoa..."

I followed her orientation ... and there it was.  Buried in the floor.

Singing...

I didn't say anything.  Now that I knew where to look, I could isolate it.  I could hear it...

Singing ... whispering ... danger!  Attack!  Kill! 

I stepped forward, approached it.  My saber was in my hand....

KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL

I was peripherally aware of the Mandalorian, hands flexing, empty and helpless.  My wife, now holding her own saber.  My son, in a combat stance, watching for threats...

I ignited my saber and plunged the blade down, through the floor.

Through the crystal.

There was a sound, an actual audible, other-worldly scream, like that of a banshee in the aether.  But far, far worse was the massive release of chaos and noise in the force.  For long seconds, the song collapsed, and there was nothing.  No melody.  No harmony.  No rhythm.  Nothing but over-riding, horrible, chaotic NOISE...

***  GRAY  ***

"Karm?"

I started away from the light touch, started to sweep my saber toward the threat...

STOP!

I stopped.  Snapped off my blade.  Looked down at the jagged hole in the floor where a pontite crystal had been.  "How long?"

"Almost thirty seconds, Master." Ken replied.  He was looking at me with concerned eyes.  "It hit us all pretty hard, but you just ... froze.  Until mom touched you."

I nodded, stood.  A quick check revealed no damage, but I felt like someone had run me over with a small truck.  "Yeah.  When the crystal ... died ... it's scream blanked out the song."  I shook my head.  "Hurt like anything, too...."

We all reacted when the Sallustian suddenly moved, sabers in-hand, but he was only doing a jig.  I relaxed, shared a look with Arnor and Ken.  "Sergeant?"

<The fear is gone!  You did it!>  The short, mousy man suddenly grabbed Arnor's hands and twirled her in a quick spin.  <All is well!>

I looked over at the Mandalorian.  He was also shaking his head in the after-effects of the crytal's destruction, but there was also a small smile spreading on his face.  He met my eyes and then raised his hand in salute.

"Yes, the fear is gone."  I said, turning back to the Sallustian.  "Sorry about the hole in the floor."

<It is of little consequence!> he said, grasping my hand.  <You will truly defeat her!  You will find her with her Warren-Clan on Umnub, in mine 27-B>

"Umnub." I repeated.  Looked at Arnor.  "Well.  Looks like our stay here will be shorter than we anticipated."

Ken looked confused.  "Umnub?  Where is that?"

I pointed toward the ceiling.  "Up."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 08:14:27 PM »

Incredible...the Night Sister...WEAPONIZED the pontite?!

AWESOME!!

These Dark Singers are DANGEROUS!  And the fact that they can adversely affect the surrounding environment with the crystals?!  Possibilities... Wink

I AM worried that Karm is the most susceptible though, considering that of everyone, his was the longest catatonia.  But I'm also thinking that his familiarity with the Song can enable him to think of the best way(s) to counter it.

Awesome job Karm!  Can't wait to see what awaits them...

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 08:35:22 PM »

Don't worry TO much about Karm's reaction.  He was right there, right on top of it, and unlike the others he was wide-open to the song when it blew, homing in on the crystal.

But yes, they are EXTREMELY dangerous because of that ability to imprint on the crystal.  Which reflects back to the interlude I wrote...  ;-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 09:41:43 PM »

“sending a soothing flow into the Sullustian's mind with the force, enhancing his sense of ease and well being, while encouraging him to trust me”

Like Zearic Karmack seems to be trying to avoid unnecessary deaths and difficulties, going out of his way to keep people as calm as possible, a more mature approach.  Interesting that the Mandolorian was still more on edge, I guess its not as easy to influence another force sensitive.

“There was a sound, an actual audible, other-worldly scream, like that of a banshee in the aether.”

That sounds a little familiar to me!

Anyway much like with Dutchmans, all the chapters for far feel a lot more confident in their style than Hide and Seek, again just a reflection of improving with each story.  In particular the story feels a lot more focused in terms of the direction of the plot, hide and seek had some great scenes but felt at times a bit unfocused, like leaping from one tangentially connected event to the other (in my opinion only of course).  I think you've really sorted that out this time around.  Look forward to more.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 10:37:57 PM »

Great post. I love how you brought it back to his fathers study. When you said "like that of a banshee in the aether" (great way to reference CotA BTW), I instantly thought of the sound of a Mandrake Root screaming from the tv show Merlin. Scary, yet a very vivid image. Like LSG said, it is really starting to feel like you and TD are fleshing out your characters more so, and are figuring out how to write them. Great job, and I can't wait for more.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 03:44:36 AM »

“sending a soothing flow into the Sullustian's mind with the force, enhancing his sense of ease and well being, while encouraging him to trust me”

Like Zearic Karmack seems to be trying to avoid unnecessary deaths and difficulties, going out of his way to keep people as calm as possible, a more mature approach.  Interesting that the Mandolorian was still more on edge, I guess its not as easy to influence another force sensitive.

“There was a sound, an actual audible, other-worldly scream, like that of a banshee in the aether.”

That sounds a little familiar to me!

Anyway much like with Dutchmans, all the chapters for far feel a lot more confident in their style than Hide and Seek, again just a reflection of improving with each story.  In particular the story feels a lot more focused in terms of the direction of the plot, hide and seek had some great scenes but felt at times a bit unfocused, like leaping from one tangentially connected event to the other (in my opinion only of course).  I think you've really sorted that out this time around.  Look forward to more.

You caught me.  Its a very weak nod to your story.  :-)  Thanks for the comments!  I'm glad it is coming across more focused.  I think that's a symptom of the pre-planning we had to do to do the cross-over storylines.  That forced us both to put some specific nails into the plot board, so to speak, so we have a better road-map than I had for H&S.  That one did wander a bit...  :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »

You caught me.  Its a very weak nod to your story.  :-)  Thanks for the comments!  I'm glad it is coming across more focused.  I think that's a symptom of the pre-planning we had to do to do the cross-over storylines.  That forced us both to put some specific nails into the plot board, so to speak, so we have a better road-map than I had for H&S.  That one did wander a bit...  :-)
Karm's right: the overall plotting really necessitated an overall storyboard for the two lines.  But, as both LSG and TR mentioned, it's a notable improvement for both Karm's and my story  Smiley.  I can't wait to include you both in a future narrative!

And I wish I would have thought of the CotA easter egg!  Nice one Karm  Wink

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 06:38:18 AM »

Chapter 7: Bread Crumbs
The trip back to the ship was uneventful, despite being delayed by the Colbolt Front troopers and an insisted-upon round of drinks.  The revelry was rambunctious: I had the distinct impression that the oppressive fear the crystal had been laying down had been infesting the area for some time.  Its removal was a relief for everyone, not just the force-sensitive.  Arnor also managed to get several discrete samples of the local building materials, which she was now examining with Mutt in Engineering.

Ken was working with Vegan and Two to prep the ship for flight.  That left me some time to do a little … consulting.

The holographic interface came to life as a connection back to M’Tzigon was established.  “Master Karmack!  How can I help you?”

I smiled back at the cheerful face.  Telow’na Jackson was a lithe, middle-aged woman with silver hair and hazel eyes.  Her rank of Silver Koawan was well-earned but also somewhat deceptive – like most things about her.  She was the head of the Mak’Tor intelligence division and I knew from personal experience that she was fast and deadly with a blade, but at the moment she looked like nothing more offensive than someone’s grandmother.  “Telow’na!  I didn’t expect to speak to you!  Surely one of your minions could have handled the call?”

“Oh, they’re all off to lunch or something. Besides, how could I pass up a chance to talk to my favorite nephew-in-law?”  She smiled that disarming smile.  “Are you keeping my niece and grand-nephew out of trouble?”

I tried to match her cheerful demeanor but I couldn’t help but let some seriousness creep into my face and voice.  “Not entirely.  Telow’na, what can you tell me about Umnub and the mines there?  A local militia contact has indicated that our friends evacuated to the moon some time ago, to a mine he called ‘twenty-seven B’ specifically.”

I watched as Telow’na activated her computer outside the holographic pick-up, her brow nit now in concentration.  “Nothing special is showing from the archive…  Several of the tunnels have been converted into habitat over the years, primarily by investors looking to make some money from the played-out mines.  Other than a reference to the mine being part of a complex attached to the Unysys Tor Mineral processing group there’s no mention of shaft 27-B.”  She reached forward and clacked some keys.  “I am sending you the coordinates of the complex as well as the maps made up by the mining company, but there’s no way to tell what modifications have been made.  This should get you to the right place, however.”

I noted the indicator of a received data file and nodded.  “I have it.  Thank you, Telow’na.  Have you had any word from our friends?”

“We received an initial contact report that they’d reached Kuat and were beginning their investigation.  Why?”

I leaned back, cradling a cup of coffee.  “Julwynn Hri managed to weaponize one of the pontite crystals.  She had it programmed to give off the “Danger” motif, and since the building material in the area is liberally laced with microscopic Adegan crystal shards it propagated and blanketed the area around her workspace with it.  It was … interesting.  Felt like someone dragging their fingernails down a chalkboard combined with the urge to kill anything that so much as twitched.  If you can get a message to D’Aylanna, please warn them.  This is like nothing I’ve ever run into before.”  I let out a tired sigh.  “I am more than a little concerned about what might be waiting for us on Umnub.”

“I’ll forward your report as expediently as I can.” Telow’na said, her concern betrayed by the suddenly clipped, business-like tone of her voice.  “If it’s any help, there’s no record of pontite crystals being mined on the moon.  The Sullustians did have a major hand in the development of the lightsaber for the Jedi in antiquity, but they used Kyber and Illium crystals, no Adegan. The only record of Adegan crystals are on the planet, in the flows and mines around Fulluusub.  That might explain why she was there originally, but not what she’s doing on the moon.”

I took a deep drink of my coffee.  I am WAY to addicted to this stuff…  “It’s a guess, but I think she’s hiding.  Something that was said, that she went to the moon with her ‘Warren-Clan’…”

Now Telow’na looked confused.  “What’s a ‘Warren-Clan’?”

“It’s the primary family unit on Sullust.  Each one is centered on a breeding female, who takes on a harem of males and produces a bunch of children.  The overall interactions are complex, but the underlying matriarchal structure would be familiar and welcome to a night sister from Dathomir.  I asked a few discrete questions and it seems that Julwynn sees her collection of Sith Shadows not as protectors or employees, but as her personal chattel: a chattel that has been expanded with several Sullustian males as well as various mercenaries and vagabonds passing through the port.  The locals could care less about the drifters but some of the ‘local boys’ were from good families and they were none-too-happy about them becoming slaves.  They banded together and asked her to leave.”

“And she left?” Telow’na’s eyes went wide.  “Why?  She must be able to crush any opposition that faced her.  Why run and hide?”

I smiled.  “That may be the million credit question.  Sorry, I have no idea.  I guess we’ll just have to ask her when we see her.”

Telow’na nodded.  “Understood.  I’ll get my field resources digging for more.  Maybe something will turn up.  In the mean time, watch yourself.  These dark sisters are dangerous.”

“No joke.  You might want to get with Master Chillum and have him open up the archives of Kage Dorian as well as the Xandir Holocron.  They may offer up some insight.” 

“I’ll do that.  Be careful.  I’ll forward anything relevant that turns up.  Jackson out.”  The hologram leaned forward and then disappeared.

I keyed open the schematic of the mine complex and leaned back, finishing my coffee.  As I studied it a figure appeared behind the hologram.  I raised my cup in a quasi-salute.  “You laced this with pain killers, didn’t you?”

Arnor nodded.  “Yes, but a very mild one.  I know you’re hurting.”

I leaned back and grimaced.  I thought I had been hiding the pain, but I should have known better.  “Thank you.  That hit from the crystal really stung.”

Arnor sat as well.  “Stung.  I think it was more than that.  You were out for over a minute, and you’re still not moving right.”

I leveled a gaze at my wife.  “I am OK.  Just … sore.”

Arnor snorted but let it drop.  “So, what do we have here?”

“A mess.” Ken interjected, entering the room.  “Dad, pull back and add the feed from the orbital traffic array.”

I entered the proper commands, pulling the “view” on the holographic emitter back to show the planet and its environs, then added the feed from the planetary traffic control array.  I immediately noticed that one of the star destroyers that had been hovering on the far side of the planet was now nearly overhead.  “What is he doing over here?  Oh.”

Ken smiled.  “Yeah.  Glad you caught that.  Apparently our friend isn’t just covering the local traffic lanes after all.  He’s hovering near Umnub.”

“So, now we have to sneak up on them AND get past a star destroyer.” Arnor said.  “I have a bad feeling about this…”

“Oh, its worse that that my love.” I looked at my wife, feeling her concern and its mirror in myself.  “After that … scream … from that crystal do you really think she doesn’t know we’re coming?”

Arnor slumped back in her chair.  “Great.  You’re right.  She has to know something happened, doesn’t she?  And no doubt someone there is one of her minions, left behind to observe and report.  So, what do we do?”

I didn’t answer, just let a boyish grin spread across my face as I punched a key.  “Two, did you get those two special consignments loaded?”

A series of tweets and whistles answered.  “Good!  Prep ‘em.  We’re going to need them.”

More tweets.  “I don’t know … do rock-paper-scissors.”

The answering electronic sounds this time were obviously rude.  “Right back atcha, dome-head.”  I cut the circuit and turned to my wife and son.  “Suit up.  Vacuum combat suits, zero-gee and EVA gear.” 

“Wait.  How are we going to get in?”  Arnor asked.

My grin became a full-blow smile.  “We’re going to ride in piggy-back.”

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 07:16:10 AM »

"I am WAY to addicted to this stuff…"

This was great. And absolutely true of so many people I know (not me thankfully, but my brother is, and probably mom, dad, grandma, and grandpa as well) Roll Eyes. Great chapter though. Simple, easy going, and a nice break from the fast paced action and utter destruction of Karm. Definitely can't wait for more.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2017, 07:57:09 PM »

...Karm, are you...reading my mind?!

This was an enjoyable chapter: we get a bit more background on the competent "Mak'Tor Intelligence" Organization.  Telow’na reminds me of my own grandmother  Smiley

Heh, looks like Karm and Zearic have the bad habit of downplaying their injuries.  Let's hope that doesn't catch up to them...and at the worst time  Wink

And let's hope that none of our heroes are susceptible to motion-sickness (zero-G maneuvers...just thinking about it makes me get...green  Wink).

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 05:03:05 AM »

I think you'll like their insertion method.  It's a bit more ... unorthodox.  ;-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 05:40:45 AM »

Good cross over, one of the problems with multi author series can be the cross overs feel a little forced, but this one came across well by having a "hub" between them through and intelligence service...though makes me wonder just how big an operation your Mak'Tor are...

Speaking of cross overs I had a subtle idea for a couple with some of my stories, might PM you with the ideas. 

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 07:19:53 AM »

Please do!  I would love to work one it.

As for size...  I need to be careful.  :-)  They're starting to get a little big for what they would have to be - a small underground organization.

Maybe they just know some Bothans?  ;-)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: