Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1302485 times)
Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #3090 on: July 15, 2016, 09:18:55 PM »

Just witnessed something that made me roll my eyes so hard.  I was buying the new Poe comic and this girl was talking to the owner of the shop, loudly proclaiming her opinion on some Captain America thing, saying that people assumed she couldn't have an opinion about it "because she's female and girls don't read comics."  I could have ignored her, but when I walked up to the counter to pay for my purchase, she was like, "That's right, sister.  BUY THAT COMIC."

Oh, please.  I don't want any of what you're smoking, lady.  Get away from me.  And I will freakin' deck you next time if you reference me as "sister."  You don't have to try so hard to be "one of the guys."   Roll Eyes  "Nerd" isn't a gender and most PEOPLE don't care about that crap, anyway!

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3091 on: July 15, 2016, 09:20:08 PM »

You've managed to do alright with acronyms. Strategic omissions also work.

I should've took up the offer from my coworker. Some grass would've put me to sleep. I don't do that though, but it was running through my mind.

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #3092 on: July 15, 2016, 11:35:39 PM »

Just witnessed something that made me roll my eyes so hard.  I was buying the new Poe comic and this girl was talking to the owner of the shop, loudly proclaiming her opinion on some Captain America thing, saying that people assumed she couldn't have an opinion about it "because she's female and girls don't read comics."  I could have ignored her, but when I walked up to the counter to pay for my purchase, she was like, "That's right, sister.  BUY THAT COMIC."

Oh, please.  I don't want any of what you're smoking, lady.  Get away from me.  And I will freakin' deck you next time if you reference me as "sister."  You don't have to try so hard to be "one of the guys."   Roll Eyes  "Nerd" isn't a gender and most PEOPLE don't care about that crap, anyway!

That's right. Arguing and blaming men doesn't advance respect for women. Uh uhhh! Girl power don't come from no man!

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #3093 on: July 15, 2016, 11:38:16 PM »

for one, it's pronounced "Sista" or 'Sistah". And two, her attitude is more damaging to girls in the geek community. we are geek regardless of gender, age, hair length or steak preference

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #3094 on: July 15, 2016, 11:42:46 PM »

for one, it's pronounced "Sista" or 'Sistah". And two, her attitude is more damaging to girls in the geek community. we are geek regardless of gender, age, hair length or steak preference

Geek steak preference?

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #3095 on: July 16, 2016, 12:39:38 AM »

Reminds me of The Color Purple with Suge Avery singing the Sista song to Seely at the bar.
"Let me tell you something..Sistah!!
Anyone....anyone? Army of One on this

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #3096 on: July 16, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »

I was pretty annoyed.  I mean, back when I was young (we're talking under 10) the boys did say to things to me like "Star Wars is for BOYS" and I just went, "LOL, WHATEVER!" and did my thing, anyway.   But no one has said that to me in years.  I've never had a guy ask me to "prove" how much of a dork I am or ask me a bunch of dumb fandom questions just to make sure I know what I'm talking about.  I hear that it happens, but it's never happened to me. 

Like last night, when I went to see "Ghostbusters," there was a dude decked out in the old school uniform (no proton pack) and I chatted with him for a minute and asked if we could take a nerdy picture together, since I had my "Ghostbusters" shirt on and Holtzmann's ugly yellow goggles.   Cheesy  He didn't say ONE rude thing about the movie or about the franchise and afterwards, we had a "DUDE, THAT WAS AWESOME!" moment and went out separate ways.

In fact, that's how every encounter I've ever had has gone.  The only negative encounters I've ever had were with women, honestly.  You know the type, all snickering like they're superior because I'm a super villain T-shirt and they're wearing Asscrumble and Bitch.   Tch,  like I care.   Roll Eyes

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #3097 on: July 16, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »

The group I hang with now are for the most part costumers- there's a lot of Geeks, a few nerds, and none of us feel we have to prove anything to anyone. We love what we are into, we have fun discussing stuff and engaging in the usual friendly rivalry- aka Imperials vs Rebels, DC vs Marvel, etc. There's a Facebook group that most of us belong to which is all about sharing our love of costuming, events and general geekiness. Playful pokes at people are allowed, because they are usually event related or it's an understanding between those doing the poking and all in good fun. There are different levels of cosplayers, some that are nationally or even internationally known and have absolutely blow you away costumes, and those who have mediocre costumes. It doesn't matter. We are all equals. Anything can be discussed, but in doing so you remain respectful. If ANYONE comes along with a superiority complex or otherwise in that group they are rather bluntly told where to go and kicked out of the FB group. The policy was very nicely put by the analogy of "sure your friends are allowed to come along to my party at my house, we love having a good time and the more the merrier. But if that person is gonna come into my house, insult the hosts or my guests and purposely stir up shavit and do damage to my property, then they can f off and I will kick them out."

It's a great group to belong to as a result, because noone is going to tell you that you can't post a progress picture because it is in the wrong thread (some groups are anal and do), you ask questions and you get local orientated help. Unlike some other groups that I now don't frequent because if you post asking help for something you get rudely told 'you have to post in such and such thread mess up again and we will kick you out' (coz posting a question in a thread that already has dozens of replies won't mean that your question will get lost in the myriad of responses and ignored).

Then of course there are the people in the cosplay world who are stupidly up themselves. They are the best, everyone bow down to them. One woman in particular I have crossed paths with a few times (thankfully only online)- same costuming club- and every time it results in her yelling at me. She has to prove how she is a gamer girl and a geek and is obviously amazing and special as a result (even though girls gaming is pretty mainstream these days) and how the fact she does that AND builds and wears armour apparently means she is a billion times better as a result. Everyone has to treat her like she is on a pedestal above all others, or they get yelled at. And insulted. Heaven helps anyone who disagrees with her, or has a different opinion to her. If she asks you a question the only correct answer is one that supports what she says. If someone asks a question she gives them her 'expert opinion', often insulting them in the process, and if anyone doesn't do something the exact way she says it should be done then the ranting that goes on. If she isn't ranting and throwing crap at some other prop builder or cosplayer, then she is going on about how amazing her armour is and how amazing she is and how many likes she's getting and how such and such popular cosplayer complimented her (a week later she will be going on about how bad they are). In all honesty yeah her armour looks good on face value and in certain photos- but her build quality is shocking and it is really obvious in some pics. We wouldn't give a damn about that if she didn't go on about how awesome she was constantly. And apparently I must be a threat to her because I'm one of the few other women in that particular group, and I game and costume and build armour myself and have experience with costuming and event organising and I'm a fairly self confident person.... Whereas she seems to have some huge insecurity issues the way she acts and plays at being some high up person in the costuming group because it makes her feel important. So anytime I say anything she has to turn it into a negative and have a go at me. I can't ask an honest and neutral question without being shot down. And when she asked a question after having a rant and I politely said I've avoided that hassle by doing such and such... Well, all hell broke loose then! Accused of purposely causing arguments with her and having a go at her and insulting her and yadda yadda to the point the head guy actually stepped in and told her to back down (so she had a go at him next).... Honey, if I ever decide to do that and break my Jedi calm and let the Sith loose, you'll know about it!

Man, I hate women like that *rolls eyes*

Know the funniest thing? She started trying to make the armour I have (Halo Reach armour), then declared it was stupid and too hard and gave up on it. I laughed so hard in private (so did my husband because he is sick of her shavit as well), but of course we said nothing Tongue

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3098 on: July 16, 2016, 04:21:56 PM »

It's not just women, guys do it too and it's equally as annoying. Remember "Bronies?" We get it, you like a cartoon that was intended for young girls even though you're a college aged male. No one is giving you crap, because no one cares.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #3099 on: July 18, 2016, 06:22:39 AM »

I don't know why, but I really hate it when people spell "dialogue" as "dialog".

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3100 on: July 18, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »

Doesn't look right to me either, even though supposedly "dialog" is the "American" way to do it.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #3101 on: July 18, 2016, 07:06:17 AM »

Doesn't look right to me either, even though supposedly "dialog" is the "American" way to do it.

It's interesting, I've never seen it before a couple weeks ago. Then again, I'm not the most perceptive guy.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #3102 on: July 18, 2016, 07:53:09 AM »

I don't know why, but I really hate it when people spell "dialogue" as "dialog".

I've never seen this before!

I actually get annoyed when I see "judgment" instead of "judgement."  No, spell checker.  The latter IS correct, even though the former is the preferred spelling, much to my chagrin.   Roll Eyes

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3103 on: July 18, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »

Unfortunately, "judgement" is a mistake that some are giving up on enforcing as such, the same as my personal pet peeve (and apparently Weird Al's, too!), of using "less" when you mean "fewer."

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3104 on: July 18, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »

Technically "Dialogue" means a conversation and "dialog" is a computer term (Dialog Box) where you input text.  People started using Dialog for conversation around the '80s (when personal computers began to rise) most likely because they did not realize it was two different words pronounced the same.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: