Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lightsaber fighting techniques  (Read 14443 times)
Ander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 56

SErvizio, CUra, RIspetto

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »

Thanks Zequarx, those are all good ideas. I'll do them.

Andrea Ungaro | Ander
LudoSport form I, II, III instructor

Dean - LudoSport Alpha - Ordine delle Onde
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lscagenova/

Why you should not learn fighting on Youtube: https://goo.gl/mhh9Ns

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »

My sequence only has two 180 degree spins... the first kata I learned was an I shaped formation with multiple turns... I feel like this is pretty basic... but I could be wrong. The first kata I learned in Kenjutsu had four spins. Learning to look turn and block or strike is pretty imperative to being able to handle a blade.

I don't mean to discredit the merit of staged combat, merely that my interpretations and development of the forms is from a purely martial arts perspective. Meaning, these moves are meant for defense.

From what I understand about martial arts, that makes total sense.  They are based around the principle of flexibility in defense - after all, in a real situation an attack could come from any side (especially when faced with multiple foes).

My own implementation doesn't involve all the 360 degree movement - fencing is executed with one opponent and linear movement in mind, after all.  This allows me to apply my own knowledge of distance and timing to really bring my skillset to bear.

@ZequarX - good advice on the squats!  Definitely strengthens balance, and develops the leg power you need for explosive movement too.

ZequarX
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 23

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 04:15:52 AM »

Thanks Zequarx, those are all good ideas. I'll do them.

Yea, no problemo man. OH! BTW instead of the L-sits I told you about before, this is much easier and more obtainable. Grab a sturdy chair with arms. Pull it out in the open like a living room, and sit comfortably. Then push yourself up out of the chair holding your legs out. This can also be performed while sitting down in the chair but never actually sitting Smiley

Gawd... I'm a fitness nerd  Tongue

When you give in to yourself and overcome you fears... The rest is easy- Sid Rigel

Light side points, please Smiley

"Dude I've been trying to get a hold of you all day."
"Oh, I'm sorry man, I was puttin up my Christmas tree!"
"Dude... it's July."
"Get the eff outta here?!?!"

ZequarX
Knight Templar

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »

@ZequarX - good advice on the squats!  Definitely strengthens balance, and develops the leg power you need for explosive movement too.

Yessir Smiley Thats my goal to start in on learning Form IV lol

When you give in to yourself and overcome you fears... The rest is easy- Sid Rigel

"Dude... it's July."

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 11:38:54 PM »

Yessir Smiley Thats my goal to start in on learning Form IV lol

One of my friends (SOTJ on here) uses Ataru.... she uses more flexibility and speed than actual strength. Squats, though - always good.

no

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 01:50:54 AM »

One of my friends (SOTJ on here) uses Ataru.... she uses more flexibility and speed than actual strength. Squats, though - always good.

Yeah Ataru is definitely reliant on speed over strength.  That said, leg strength effectively gives you speed, especially the kind of explosive speed you need for that form.  Definitely a tough form to execute without use of the Force!

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 03:13:33 AM »

I would suggest working on groin flexibility.... I know, awkward and whatnot, but it's important for Ataru IMO. Flexibility is just a huge advantage in any athletic activity.... look at Djokovic, for example. Nobody expects a guy to be able to do a split Grin

no

ZequarX
Knight Templar

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 03:50:28 AM »

Absolutely, flexibility is very important in any athletic endeavor. Form IV not being an exception. I like the quickness of form IV but ultimately prefer form V b/c of my size and length. Flexibility can also increase your defense in regards to blocking and parrying. But I'm not telling you guys stuff you don't already know Smiley

"Dude... it's July."

Guardian Xentai Kaarz
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 20

Knights of the Lost Republic

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »

What are some more tactics other than getting the sun positioned in your opponents eye?

GB Aeon v3 LE
BH Obsidian Bellicose
LIGHTSIDE POINTS!!

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »

What are some more tactics other than getting the sun positioned in your opponents eye?

Tactics is knowing when to employ a certain technique. It's the general consensus that spinning in a duel will get you killed. No offense to our fencers here, but it's typically fencers and kendo practitioners who hold these ideas to be true. Fencers fight in a linear environment. Kendo practitioners wear a lot of armor.

However if you know the tactics behind a spin, and the mechanics of it... You can effectively employ them in a lightsaber duel. I.E. certain terrain is better suited, or if you are facing multiple opponents.

Tactics are your use of the environment as well, if I can get you to trip, fall, or stumble. That may give me enough time to take you down.

Also your use of timing, distance, speed and strength can also be tactical. I know if I can make you swing for a certain area on me I can move out of the way and stay in close enough to score a hit on you.

Any technique can be used tactically, however most people just learn the techniques and never think about tactics.

Guardian Xentai Kaarz
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 06:12:29 PM »

Tactics is knowing when to employ a certain technique. It's the general consensus that spinning in a duel will get you killed. No offense to our fencers here, but it's typically fencers and kendo practitioners who hold these ideas to be true. Fencers fight in a linear environment. Kendo practitioners wear a lot of armor.

However if you know the tactics behind a spin, and the mechanics of it... You can effectively employ them in a lightsaber duel. I.E. certain terrain is better suited, or if you are facing multiple opponents.

Tactics are your use of the environment as well, if I can get you to trip, fall, or stumble. That may give me enough time to take you down.

Also your use of timing, distance, speed and strength can also be tactical. I know if I can make you swing for a certain area on me I can move out of the way and stay in close enough to score a hit on you.

Any technique can be used tactically, however most people just learn the techniques and never think about tactics.
Dude youre like a saber genius

GB Aeon v3 LE
BH Obsidian Bellicose
LIGHTSIDE POINTS!!

Guardian Xentai Kaarz
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »

LS point for Lucien

GB Aeon v3 LE
BH Obsidian Bellicose
LIGHTSIDE POINTS!!

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »

I was doing my best gathering youtube video's of the ones I deemed serious martial artists and showing the diff forms in the right order.

But this is harder to do then it sounds...

I do realizes we are (re)inventing a new martial arts here. And I love the idea. It would be great if we could get this on one line between the Jedi schools and masters.

I have a fair amount experience with martial arts, katas, forms, and related aspects.

Several of the videos I have seen were quite good figuring the source.  There are some good pieces coming out of New York Jedi.

But the principle of what is being asked is valid and not as far reaching an exercise as you might think.

A kata or forms routine is build upon itself starting with simple until the final forms are complex.

The same can be applied here.

The various final focus forms would be the end result of the build up...an especially difficult task without having access to the force lol.

But the beginning process is quite easy.

Facing, begin with a simple frontal position, consider only forward movement, strike forward, strike, across, strike hi to low, strike low to high, high block, low block.

Put these in a order that makes sense...repeat.

Then add on the line movement, forward and back.

Later consider the angles of 45 and 90 degrees.

Last figure in the remaining for 360 degrees potential.

After all of these basics have been considered and practiced, then apply your focus...stoic defense or full pressure shadowing...whirlwind of flashing blades or one cut one kill...etc.

Light side points please Smiley

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 10:54:28 PM »

Dude youre like a saber genius

I've combined a lot of things over the years to turn me into what I am today. Martial Arts, Marine Corps training. I.E. actually planning and executing a squad to platoon level mission. Learning how to run unconventional warfare operations. With some formal sword training and an absolute love for Star Wars. Combined with a deep seated ideology that we are spirit beings and can sense things as such. I.E. if you develop your reflexes enough you can actually react to something with what looks like precognition. It's just you need to know how to move to act accordingly. For instance if someone draws a gun on me... I may have had a bad feeling about the situation beforehand, but without proper training that feeling does me no good. With martial arts training I can turn that bad feeling into action that will be a step ahead of my assailant.... Makes you look like you have Jedi reflexes.

The Japanese call it mushin, which means mind no mind. Basically a higher form of consciousness that allows you to act. It sounds all new age ish, but think about it, how many times have you had a situation where you reacted and did something that was beyond your conscious skill level. That's mushin.

Anyways, thanks for the compliments! I really appreciate it. Anyone can become a great duelist, just takes a lot of practice, and the willingness to make mistakes and learn from them.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: