Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Dueling with and defending against a saber spear! AT LAST!!!!  (Read 4399 times)
Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« on: April 02, 2012, 06:56:34 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFAJJP-ywtg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFAJJP-ywtg</a>

This is my tutorial on the saber spear. The chief advantage is the reach, the chief drawback is also the reach. You will succeed if you do one of two things. Stay at distance, or know how to work your spear in close.

For defending against the spear, get in close take away their reach and get inside their hilt. If the hilt hits you you'll make it just fine.

Also lore wise saber spears were made of lightsaber resistant material, so glancing blows off your hilt is acceptable.

Enjoy, all comments concerns and criticisms are welcome.

Xanedan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 49

Photography Geek

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »

Nothing I can really add to this, just wanted to say "Awesome saber spear is awesome".

Initiate V2 - SY, Dark Initiate V2 - DVA
Initiate V3 - SY, Dark Initiate V3 - DVA
SS Raven, Dark War Consular, Dark Prophecy V3

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:29:18 AM »

Thanks Xanedan! I appreciate the compliments.

Forgot to add, a traditional spear is generally used in tandem with a shield or is used for throwing. A spear is used to stab generally not for slashing.

A light spear is different in that slashing becomes easier, however you are using it without a shield. To combat this you can use a single saber reverse grip in your off hand. That makes for a good shield! Takes some practice though.

Zurth
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 35

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:32:24 AM »

I'm more interested in how I can go about making a Spear Saber now. They've always been among my favorite. Simple moves both to use to counter and to attack with or without the Spear. Although it always seems to have the advantage with that long range. Gotta be Defensive with the Single Hilt before you can strike. It'd be nice to see some Duel Wield v Spear, or even Staff V Spear. Very Nice Video Grin

Lightsabers:
Dark Initiate V2: BR
Dark Initiate V2 LE: CG, VA
Dark Liberator V2: AS
Red SI Battle Saber: V2 FO

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:36:45 AM »

I'm more interested in how I can go about making a Spear Saber now. They've always been among my favorite. Simple moves both to use to counter and to attack with or without the Spear. Although it always seems to have the advantage with that long range. Gotta be Defensive with the Single Hilt before you can strike. It'd be nice to see some Duel Wield v Spear, or even Staff V Spear. Very Nice Video Grin

I actually do better when I go full offense against the spear... I almost broke my sparring partners fingers though so I didn't want to amp it up to the level it takes me to deal with the spear. I'm still getting the feel of that heavy blade and saber I'm swinging too. I can slow it down pretty good, but I just don't want to crack anyone too hard yet.

I like to get inside and grab the hilt of the spear... Can't hit me if your spear is all locked up. That technique didn't make it into the video though. Sorry guys and gals.

Saber spears are fun, they are not fun to wire up though. lol

Zurth
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 35

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »

I like to get inside and grab the hilt of the spear... Can't hit me if your spear is all locked up. That technique didn't make it into the video though. Sorry guys and gals.

But in theory you still can use the Force Grin or maybe an elbow.

Saber spears are fun, they are not fun to wire up though. lol
Would be easier to fit up a Staff that was MHS compatible and just have a piece to keep the batteries from sliding around in the long hilt.

Lightsabers:
Dark Initiate V2: BR
Dark Initiate V2 LE: CG, VA
Dark Liberator V2: AS
Red SI Battle Saber: V2 FO

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »

Ah, I look forward to watching this later!  Damn video blocking at work... lol

ZequarX
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 23

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »

Ah, I look forward to watching this later!  Damn video blocking at work... lol

I second that.. stupid work! Getting me to come in, work my butt off so I can get more US lightsabers! How dare you!!!  Grin  Grin  Grin

When you give in to yourself and overcome you fears... The rest is easy- Sid Rigel

Light side points, please Smiley

"Dude I've been trying to get a hold of you all day."
"Oh, I'm sorry man, I was puttin up my Christmas tree!"
"Dude... it's July."
"Get the eff outta here?!?!"

Darth Cestual
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -50

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »

Great video LK! I'm very jealous of your skills, lol.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »

Finally got to watch it... and I totally want a saber spear lol.  I could do SO MANY fencing moves with that thing... watching you was like watching an epee bout! (except more exciting of course)

Very nice man, thanks!

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 12:39:33 AM »

Great video LK! I'm very jealous of your skills, lol.

Thanks! I practice, a lot! like a whole lot more than anyone should.

Finally got to watch it... and I totally want a saber spear lol.  I could do SO MANY fencing moves with that thing... watching you was like watching an epee bout! (except more exciting of course)

Very nice man, thanks!

Hey thanks! I really appreciate the compliments. I have done a bit of fencing. While I am no fencer, I have an affinity for the art. I need to find a school. ]

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »

Hey thanks! I really appreciate the compliments. I have done a bit of fencing. While I am no fencer, I have an affinity for the art. I need to find a school. ]

Yeah it seems like you'd be a natural at it... I noticed some fencing-esque maneuvers there!  Good stuff, lemme know what weapon you end up with Wink

Shami Pemas
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 18

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00:42 AM »

so lucien, do you always duel in Jurassic Park?  Cheesy

Very cool vid though.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:54 AM »

That was a great video Lucien.

I know this may seem out there but it warms my heart to watch videos like this.

Most people think of us as the Star Wars kid; That is not the case here. Grin

Point I very interested in trying this.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 02:26:42 AM »

Yeah it seems like you'd be a natural at it... I noticed some fencing-esque maneuvers there!  Good stuff, lemme know what weapon you end up with Wink

Thanks! I have been told similar things by other fencers! I love fencing... I think saber is my favorite.

so lucien, do you always duel in Jurassic Park?  Cheesy

Very cool vid though.

I try to keep things located on Tython... How I keep running into Sith there is beyond me. Thank you!

That was a great video Lucien.

I know this may seem out there but it warms my heart to watch videos like this.

Most people think of us as the Star Wars kid; That is not the case here. Grin

Point I very interested in trying this.

I love watching dueling videos, and thank you! I work very hard at my martial arts. Keeps me in shape too!

Also get out there and try the spear... I think a lot of you guys and gals will like the mechanics.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: