Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My own style. tips or pointers?  (Read 1316 times)
Sabel
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: April 05, 2012, 02:56:21 AM »

So, after much reading into Shii-cho wich (previously i had only second hand knowledge) I have decided that it's simple yet effective strikes and blocks are for me. I have read the entire thread on shii-cho and loved it. I took in as much information as i could. I watched all the videos in in and i must say both of you (Lucien and sun) are very talented indeed. So, as I'm sure you've gathered i will be trying my best to practice and hopefully master Shii-Cho. Along with that i would also like to learn and practice Soresu. A long time fan of Obi-wan and his tactics. I agree with the philosophy behind Soresu and love the idea of conserving energy until that one precise moment comes along to counter attack.  I'm looking for as much information as possible on Both of these forms. Any videos of these in action or instructional ANYTHING would be helpful.

Also For those of you looking to give any pointers or tips for me. I generally only duel against one person. Sadly he is the only one around that is as serious about learning and dueling with sabers as i am. He tends to adopt a fairly aggressive form of fighting based on techniques from German Long sword. At the moment hes much better on his feet then i am and can do twirls and flourishes much more on the fly than i can. We're fairly evenly matched for the most part though he does "win" a bit more often. Generally our dueling isn't aimed at actually hitting the other person more just a touch on an unguarded bit of body if we dub it needed Tongue We mostly just aim to keep a good volley going until we can learn to consistently pull our strikes.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 04:15:35 AM »

I'm currently re working the forms I have done with the exception of Shii Cho... I'm re doing Makashi, and Soresu to fit a more basic sequence for the duelist who is beginning to learn their chosen form.

Once I have those videos posted I'll post them here if people are interested. They will be filmed with a full speed version, and a step by step version.

Kannik
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 30

Lovin' Life

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:52:11 AM »

Also For those of you looking to give any pointers or tips for me. I generally only duel against one person. Sadly he is the only one around that is as serious about learning and dueling with sabers as i am. He tends to adopt a fairly aggressive form of fighting based on techniques from German Long sword. At the moment hes much better on his feet then i am and can do twirls and flourishes much more on the fly than i can. We're fairly evenly matched for the most part though he does "win" a bit more often. Generally our dueling isn't aimed at actually hitting the other person more just a touch on an unguarded bit of body if we dub it needed Tongue We mostly just aim to keep a good volley going until we can learn to consistently pull our strikes.

Like Lucien I'm working out my own interpretations of the various Forms, with intent to post (and potentially teach)  them when I get them down.  Looking at other's forms is a good starting point in developing your own.  Once you try a movement several times you'll get a feel for if it works (or doesn't work!) for you... then you practice it a thousand times until it becomes natural.  Smiley

The ultimate place to start though is always with the basics, and, really, you continue to improve your basics.  This will help with things such as being comfortable and mobile on your feet, staying balanced and poised, which'll aid you in thinking and reacting on your feet to the uncertainty of dueling. 

It's excellent that you have a duelling partner! 

peace,

Kannik

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."

Archon v2.1 w/ v3 head: Consular Green
Archon v2 w/ War Glaive head : Fire Orange
Archon v3 w/ Menace head & custom neck : Arctic Blue
Guardian:  Guardian Blue
Dark Prophecy V3: Arctic Blue
Sentinel LE v4 w/ extended handle:  Guardian Blue

Stephen Strange
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -40

The Netherlands, The Hague

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »

Although I would love to bring together enough minds to agree on one form for each version I am afraid that seems impossible. I am using the Shii-Cho topic now to compair what I can find and to build the parts into one whole I can live with.

But I was really hoping to get a discussion going and change things because of the discussion so that Lucien, Nero and the many other practicioners of martial arts would agree on the same forms. Making as many as possible do the same. It would make it so much easier on the new padawans.

Is this really impossible? My check of Sun's and Lucien's Shii-Cho showed that they aren't doing that much different. As far as I am there now I can argue about some foot work and Lucien could add two horizontal swipes... and they are both the same!

¶█╬╬╬╬╬╬(o)█|{███████████████████████████████████████)

Dark War Glaive (BR, Dark Catalyst Pommel)
Guardian (GB, Dark War Glaive Pommel)
Bellicose (CG, Bronze)

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:04:57 AM »

Although I would love to bring together enough minds to agree on one form for each version I am afraid that seems impossible. I am using the Shii-Cho topic now to compair what I can find and to build the parts into one whole I can live with.

But I was really hoping to get a discussion going and change things because of the discussion so that Lucien, Nero and the many other practicioners of martial arts would agree on the same forms. Making as many as possible do the same. It would make it so much easier on the new padawans.

Is this really impossible? My check of Sun's and Lucien's Shii-Cho showed that they aren't doing that much different. As far as I am there now I can argue about some foot work and Lucien could add two horizontal swipes... and they are both the same!

This actually works out really well... because any martial arts form, usually has multiple kata to learn. So the fact that there are multiple interpretations out there is actually a good thing

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »

yeah I Re: posted it but it works here too. http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2131.0

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »

I'm currently re working the forms I have done with the exception of Shii Cho... I'm re doing Makashi, and Soresu to fit a more basic sequence for the duelist who is beginning to learn their chosen form.

Once I have those videos posted I'll post them here if people are interested. They will be filmed with a full speed version, and a step by step version.

I can't wait to see those!  I'm getting Artorius to work on the Forms with me next time we hang out, hopefully we'll get videos up as well.  It'll be interesting to compare your set with our set, like we've been doing with Shii-Cho.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »

I can't wait to see those!  I'm getting Artorius to work on the Forms with me next time we hang out, hopefully we'll get videos up as well.  It'll be interesting to compare your set with our set, like we've been doing with Shii-Cho.

I too am looking forward to this! I'm also finally going to finish Djem So/Shien, Then its off to work on Nimaan and Ataru

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: