Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dueling with and defending against a saber spear! AT LAST!!!!  (Read 4446 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 03:20:10 AM »

I son't have a spear BUT I can get sort of short handled Naginata. (If that makes sense) Grin

I just use a full size staff hilt with one initiate blade.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 04:54:56 AM »

Funny you should say that. There will be a Naginata tutorial coming in the future.

Kannik
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 30

Lovin' Life

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 05:19:06 AM »

Very cool!  The spear is one of my favourite weapons to practice, it's so versatile (piercing and slashing and long haft for defence).  I would guess that a light-spear would have to have a sabre blade resistant haft to properly be able to use it for deflections, else it would end up in pieces pretty quickly.  Wink

Forgot to add, a traditional spear is generally used in tandem with a shield or is used for throwing. A spear is used to stab generally not for slashing.

The Chinese used spears in a way that is much closer to what you're showing in the video.   One reason I love the final fight between Yu Shu Lien and  Jiao Long in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the excellent way the spear is depicted (actually, it's really great in that the character of all the weapons are well depicted).  Certainly a lightsabre tipped spear will be more than capable of both piercing and slashing, so using that for inspiration would work great. 

Nicely done!

peace,

Kannik
(of course, someone's taken that fight scene from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and added lightsabres to it... Cheesy )

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."

Archon v2.1 w/ v3 head: Consular Green
Archon v2 w/ War Glaive head : Fire Orange
Archon v3 w/ Menace head & custom neck : Arctic Blue
Guardian:  Guardian Blue
Dark Prophecy V3: Arctic Blue
Sentinel LE v4 w/ extended handle:  Guardian Blue

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »

I realized as I watched the video that I was fighting with a lot of oriental influence.

I'm an instinctive fighter. Meaning I can kind of just pick up a weapon or watch a martial arts form and instantly know how to use it. So I have to do things and then break it down after the fact so I can use that information to teach others.

It's weird and I feel like I'm coming across as arrogant or boastful. I don't mean to say I'm some martial arts guru or crazy master or something. I simply have a natural talent for all things that have to do with combat, so I'm mildly good at dueling with any type of lightsaber styled weapon.

Kannik
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 30

Lovin' Life

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:23 PM »

I realized as I watched the video that I was fighting with a lot of oriental influence.

-nods-  The Chinese spear often had/has a broad, flat head with edged sides, leaving it open to cutting attacks as well as slashing or stabbing with the tip... there must have been a lot of people-hours spent in developing the fullness of the spear's martial capabilities.  Striking with the quickness of a snake's tongue and having the versatility of reach and multiple ways to attack made the spear a very effective weapon in trained hands.  Again, one reason it's a fun weapon to me.  (Which makes me think I could examine my broadsword vs spear set to get insight into both light spear and light sabre techniques -- again of course the haft of the light spear would have to be made of songsteel or phrik to use many of those techniques lest it be cut in two...)

In terms of the light spear specifically I think it lend itself rather instinctively to a more varied use than just a thrusting or throwing spear thanks to its omnidirectional cutting surface, so it's great that you picked up on it. 

It's weird and I feel like I'm coming across as arrogant or boastful. I don't mean to say I'm some martial arts guru or crazy master or something. I simply have a natural talent for all things that have to do with combat, so I'm mildly good at dueling with any type of lightsaber styled weapon.

Noted, and I promise not to form a view of you as either arrogant or boastful from a single forum post.  Smiley  And that you would mention it shows some humility in of itself.

peace,

Kannik
(who noted, while watching the video, that Kham-Ryn would love the vid if only because there was a SY sabre in it... Tongue)

"Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."

Archon v2.1 w/ v3 head: Consular Green
Archon v2 w/ War Glaive head : Fire Orange
Archon v3 w/ Menace head & custom neck : Arctic Blue
Guardian:  Guardian Blue
Dark Prophecy V3: Arctic Blue
Sentinel LE v4 w/ extended handle:  Guardian Blue

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 06:26:27 AM »

lol I have got to make myself a sentinel yellow saber... I have been craving one lately.

Thanks Kannik I appreciate it! I think myself knowledgeable about dueling, so I'm always trying to balance that out and make sure I don't get prideful or arrogant. It is a flaw I see all to often in the saber community.

Temple
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 90

Jedi Battle Knight

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »

Enjoyable video Smiley man i need dueling partners

A jedi Must sometimes prepare for war, and prepared we are ~ Temple

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 05:41:20 PM »

A very good video IMO.

Where did you film the event? A park or a really cool backyard?  The ground is well beaten down so I suspect a commons area like near a picnic zone or a small pond?

It is a neat thing to have like minded people to work out with...color me green.

With the style you are using I would consider adding a small hook element to your spear to create a polearm...the hook would facilitate the knee and ankle pick you were trying  Smiley

But more blunt hook than blade...like a boat hook...catch a wrist, elbow, knee, ankle...

Light side points please Smiley

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 06:05:24 AM »

Oooh a hook like that would be pretty cool... Funny thing was I wasn't trying to catch his leg... I caught his leg and pushed through. At the end of the bout I did take him down with the spear... I didn't realize how easy it is to take someone down with the spear... you can get it so close to the ground that foot sweeps are fairly easy.

Thanks for the kind words! Also this at my friend's property. The "pit" as we've been calling it just get's packed in a lot from us dueling there.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »

Bring in a couple bags of ground rubber or natural bark/wood chips once every month or so to add to the surface area...looks good and will help the pit from becoming a pit   Shocked

Light side points please Smiley

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »

Kannik
(who noted, while watching the video, that Kham-Ryn would love the vid if only because there was a SY sabre in it... Tongue)

Hey, he earned his points. Grin

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »

Bring in a couple bags of ground rubber or natural bark/wood chips once every month or so to add to the surface area...looks good and will help the pit from becoming a pit   Shocked

It does look good... That being said, all the trees around there actually do a pretty good job of holding the dirt to the ground. So far we haven't kicked any dirt out of there we've just kept the foliage from growing up in that area.

Hey, he earned his points. Grin

Kham, I blame you... I'm on a Sentinel Yellow kick right now.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: