Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Favorite saber tricks?  (Read 6930 times)
Xanedan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 49

Photography Geek

« on: April 13, 2012, 12:09:17 PM »

I've been practicing a bit lately, trying to put together a repertoire of tricks and flourishes to use both in "cinematic" dueling (non-scripted, but with an emphasis on making it look cool over actually winning, is there already a term for that?) and just general goofing off purposes.

I've become fond of a behind the back hand switch, into a short upward toss that's caught underhand with the opposite hand (Obviously not practical, it was in that hand to start with!) then leading into either an exaggerated upwards parry or cross body slash.  Video for clarity, although tragically the video quality isn't quite clear.  

I've devoured Banditcar's practice videos and many others on Youtube and was wondering if anyone else had any hidden gems they were rather fond of that they wanted to share.  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7syD2O-qAk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7syD2O-qAk</a>

Edit: For anyone who wants to try what's in the video - feel free to throw it a little higher to make it more obvious - I have a low ceiling and a ceiling fan right above me.  Also careful with your internals, make sure they're well secured and probably practice on soft flooring.  I lost one battery pack to the saber toss gods already, I've since wrapped the other ones in electrical tape so thick they don't move inside the saber and stopped practicing on stone flooring.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:13:47 PM by Xanedan » Logged

Initiate V2 - SY, Dark Initiate V2 - DVA
Initiate V3 - SY, Dark Initiate V3 - DVA
SS Raven, Dark War Consular, Dark Prophecy V3

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »

I have a lot of things that are considered "flashy" that I like to use in sparring... If you train the techniques up enough you may find use for them. I will say this, if the saber leaves your hand you have a higher chance of dropping it during a duel.... That being said I'm working on something that makes use of tossing the saber during a duel to create various unorthodox openings.

Not nearly good enough for demonstration videos yet but it's getting here.

Xanedan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 49

Photography Geek

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »

I'll be interested to see those.  Grin

And yeah, my biggest fear while thinking about incorporating this into an unscripted match is my saber getting batted away by my opponent. It'll almost certainly happen at some point.  Still, once I get a bit faster at it and smooth out the hand switch it'll probably be downright confusing to whoever is on the other side of it.

Initiate V2 - SY, Dark Initiate V2 - DVA
Initiate V3 - SY, Dark Initiate V3 - DVA
SS Raven, Dark War Consular, Dark Prophecy V3

MrJediMan
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:44:03 PM »

I like to use just a bunch of fancy spins, ending With a slash either left or right. Its about all I can do also, xD

(Not a real SWTOR character)
Light side pointsh pleashe

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »

I'll be interested to see those.  Grin

And yeah, my biggest fear while thinking about incorporating this into an unscripted match is my saber getting batted away by my opponent. It'll almost certainly happen at some point.  Still, once I get a bit faster at it and smooth out the hand switch it'll probably be downright confusing to whoever is on the other side of it.

This was pure luck... (or whatever you prefer to call it) but I was sparring with one of my friends who is a darn good swordsman. We were sparring and I decided to practice my little tosses and switches. I waited for him to hit the blade and I let my hilt spin free of my hand. Now when he hit, he hit harder than I anticipated and I gave my lightsaber a little push as well. My lightsaber went flying in the air straight up. I was shocked naturally (even though I was the idiot who planned this) I finally regained my composure and noticed that my buddy was in more shock than I was. I saw his face just in time for him to snap out of it, but it was too late I caught my lightsaber and spun free of his attack catching his blade on the spin.... It was such an epic little accident. Can't wait til I can do that on purpose.

Faa-Yal Dragu
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Jedi knight, wandcrafter, heathen

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »

nice! i like a few flourishes, my personal fave is one everyone calls 'the obi-wan/anikin back spin' seen in ROTS.  also An over the back spin im working on:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZjQNsv23Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZjQNsv23Y</a>

would look better if saber was on, but sunny day (rare in uk lol)

The jedi only use their powers to defend and protect,
although (waves hand) You will give me lightside points.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »

nice! i like a few flourishes, my personal fave is one everyone calls 'the obi-wan/anikin back spin' seen in ROTS.

That's one I implement into my spinning quite a bit... I like to sort of segue from that into other spinning, and even some more practical stuff (cuts, parries, stabs, etc).  With some practice, it's pretty easy to move from an Obi-Ani into a figure 8 and vice versa, so you can just continually spin and try out different permutations.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »

Hmm maybe we should post some videos here to show the applications of said techniques.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »

Hmm maybe we should post some videos here to show the applications of said techniques.

That's a good idea.  Actually, Artorius and I developed a small choreo sequence where we tried to make the Obi-Ani a functional move (it fits in nicely as a sort of Soresu parry, actually).  I find the behind the back spin tends to invite an opponent's attack, but the momentum from said spin as you come around provides a nice opportunity for an across the body parry... not sure what it's called otherwise, but in fencing it would be something like a "Parry 1", or "Prime".

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »

That's a good idea.  Actually, Artorius and I developed a small choreo sequence where we tried to make the Obi-Ani a functional move (it fits in nicely as a sort of Soresu parry, actually).  I find the behind the back spin tends to invite an opponent's attack, but the momentum from said spin as you come around provides a nice opportunity for an across the body parry... not sure what it's called otherwise, but in fencing it would be something like a "Parry 1", or "Prime".

If you watch my sparring. I rarely spin without doing a behind the back spin, it works because I usually catch my opponents blade before spinning. Ties up their blade and prevents an attack while I'm spinning. That's one application for the Ani Obi spin.

Faa-Yal Dragu
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Jedi knight, wandcrafter, heathen

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »

i find it hard to pull off the ani/obi spin in a duel - i tend to panic a little when their saber attempts to slice me! it is good for making them think i like to spin in a duel, so they are suprised when i hit 'em in the knee...

The jedi only use their powers to defend and protect,
although (waves hand) You will give me lightside points.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »

I think if people start learning the applications for the flourishes and spins they will find it easier to use them in sparring matches.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »

seems to me one of the things i do more often than not is hold the hilt high with the blade pointing down and use various spins to sort of make what ends up looking like a lightsaber umbrella, using it to pick off higher attacks and redirect the momentum for counter attacks, making a habit of it unfortunately

leaves my midsection too open

though being on ly 5'8" most of the guys im dueling are a good bit taller than me, and they tend to go for a lot of overhanded blows, and even mid attacks for them seemt o be closer to shoulder height for me, so it sorta works

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »

What you speak of in our world is called the guard of the hawk. Definitely sounds like Djem So... Watch Anakin in Episode II he uses that style a lot.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »

yeah, obi wan seems to when defending against anakin in episode 3 as well if i recall, i gotta watch all those fights again soon to get some inspiration before heading out for dueling saturday night

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: