Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Real Applications - Half Joking?  (Read 18870 times)
navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« on: March 23, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »

Hmm. The more I think about this, maybe I'm only 1/4 joking.

My son showed off his Initiate to my Dad last weekend, and, like me or pretty much anyone who's ever held a weapon, the first thing he mentioned was, "Damn, this thing's for real."

So, that got me thinking. Are Ultra Sabers sort of the perfect take anywhere, "concealed" in plain sight, self defense weapon? I mean, I'm not going to suddenly stop carrying my Sig around, but for folks who don't, won't or can't, seems to me you could do far worse than a 24" Initiate. And no one is ever going to stop you from carrying one either. In my state I can not legally go into a bar, a stadium, etc... while carrying my pistol. But this? It's just my son's toy light saber, you know, like they sell inside at the souvenir stands. Look, it lights up. Isn't it cool?

I feel MUCH better armed with my son's initiate than I do with a knife for instance. One of the better self defense techniques when facing attack, especially from more than one assailant, is some sort of diversion: like a coat, or purse or umbrella or something. Get that swinging around in your off hand and strike at them with that. It takes a very well disciplined person to not react and block anything coming at their face, even something as innocent as a jacket. You get them looking at that while your real attack is prepped and launched.

Well, folks, can you imagine anything more distracting than sparking up an Ultra Saber in the low light that most self defense occurs? Haha! Everyone within 30' would be just staring at the thing. You know? In fact, the only person NOT staring at it would be you. It's your diversion and your defense all rolled into one thing.

And so, THAT got me thinking about Seattle's own in the news flash in the pan "super hero" Phoenix Jones. This dude, since he refuses to really arm himself, NEEDS an Ultra Saber. How flipping cool would it be for him to jump in on another mugger with an Ultra Saber? Some dude grabs a lady's purse, in leaps... PHOENIX JONES!, lights up his RGB Dominix set on yellow to match his gear, bad guy thinks "Oh it's that silly little dude and now he's got a toy ligh... OUCH MY WRIST IS BROKEN!" Ha! Think of the marketing tie-ins, the free press, the news coverage!

Ha. Anyway. Daydreaming.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:23:37 PM by navajas » Logged

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »

I think you're right. The worst you'll likely get stopped for carrying an ultrasaber is that maybe if you light it up on a main street at night, it could be considered a distraction to drivers or something. They are very innocent. And when you think about it, they are designed and built essentially as a training weapon. Like a bokken. It's often mentioned that Heavy Grade blades can go up against bokken on even terms, and though a bokken is a training weapon, you cannot deny that bashing a thug with a wooden sword WILL hurt him. Heck, a proper bashing will hurt him SEVERELY. Factor in as well that many people recommend safety gear (pads, armor, etc) when dueling with ultrasabers in a contact fashion, and I have to say these things would make EXCELLENT self-defense tools.

Of course, they are portable, but bare in mind as well.... they aren't EXACTLY something you can just carry in your pocket. Oh, you can clip it to your belt... but whatever will you do to carry the blade? Not to mention if you take the blade off to carry it, you will have to avoid the thug long enough to get out your hex wrench and put the blade back in and secure it before you can bash said thug. Personally, I don't mind just carrying it all around assembled... except my friends would start calling me Tatewaki Trekkie, the Blue Thunder of Troy High. XD (Ranma joke lol)

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »

Well. Funny you should mention carrying it around, and, sure it helps to have a cute five year old in tow. But, hell, nerds are pretty much a common site these days, at least around large Metros that I frequent. Star Wars shell, Decepticon armband, goofy haircut... who would look twice if you've got a toy light saber, right?

And check this out: My oldest and I go camping in the mountains. My Dad got him this fancy ass lightning proof mega light (like you can't feel it in your hand) mountaineering umbrella. The back sling for this thing just happens to take the 24" Initiate. Perfectly.

Regard:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu9MxmdAZ-o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu9MxmdAZ-o</a>

Ok, so, yeah, he needs a little work on his Iai-do, but you get the idea. It probably looks a little more intimidating up there on your shoulders though. It's way nerdier / innocent hanging from a belt.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »

Now I can't get the image of someone telling a thug to "Hold on a minute." While fumbling with a hex wrench, trying to get his blade back on his hilt out of my head! lol.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:10:03 PM by Darth Raze » Logged

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »

Hopefully folks realize I'm not talking about carrying it around without the blade! The 24" hanging from your, or, PHOENIX JONES'!!! belt or rigged up on your back like above is just slightly more practical.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »

lol I knew you meant carrying it with the blade, I just saw it and thought I'd address it anyways. Also, I forgot to mention... these metal hilts make a good whacking tool in and of themselves. But at least around here cops do get a little POed when they see something like that alone. Like those big flashlights cops have themselves? My pop bought one to keep in his car, like the giant metal Maglights? Got pulled over, opens his console at the cop's request to get his ID out and the cop sees this thing in there and goes ballistic on him. XP So it probably comes off more innocent with the blade anyways... lol

I am not a color...

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »

I've always considered carrying my lightsaber but never could think of a practical means of doing so. Something over the shoulder seems like the best way to go, though I haven't been able to make something like that yet.

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »

I could post pictures of this umbrella sling if you want.

In college I needed a way to carry my swords around campus riding my bike so my Dad rigged me these PVC plumbing scabbards. I wore them over my back. They worked really well, and for what they were, they looked pretty sweet too. However, keep in mind, what they were was... PVC plumbing.

Wait, let me see if I can find a link to this umbrella company. Maybe they sell replacement slings. What makes them even cooler is that the "scabbard" itself is mesh, so, if you pop the saber you can see it lit inside.

EDIT: It's one of these things: http://www.euroschirm.com/usa/index.cgi

WARNING: There is jazz on that website, and it's in frames so I can't actually link to the exact umbrella. You could probably call them up a distributor and ask for a sling though. Looks like there's different ones. His mesh one is black, but it looks like the have color keyed ones too. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:10:03 PM by navajas » Logged

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 11:38:49 PM »

Wait.... a little off topic here, but, your college let you carry SWORDS on campus? You are so lucky... (in my area there are technicalities that allow you to carry a sword, but no one does because the cops are idiots and pulling out the codes about it on them just makes them madder.)

I am not a color...

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:47:12 PM »

I was on the fencing team. Even so, probably would not have been a big problem there. The enrollment at the University was equal to or more than the population. I can't really start commenting on cops, laws and that sort of thing here. Not really the forum for it.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:08 AM »

Ah, that makes sense then. And yes, you're right. Not really the place for a disscussion about Law Enforcement. (FTR, I totally support the Cops and all. I just don't much like when people don't use their heads. And I have a big mouth. LOL)

I am not a color...

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 04:04:45 AM »

Don't cops in Britain only carry night sticks? Maybe for the 21st century they could switch over to lightsabers, especially with the country's Jedi population. Any US fans who happen to be lobbyists or members of parliament for Britain? lets get on this!

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 04:41:31 AM »

I'd say get on it for the states too.... but the way things are here, at least in CA, they'd give em' to the cops and then outlaw them for everyone else. And that'd be bad for Ultra's business.... lol

I am not a color...

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »

That'd be bad for whoever tried to take my ultrasabers is who it'd be bad for. We could all form a militia...

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Gulcasa
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 7

The Big Bang Theory :D

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »

I think its pretty an self-defense weapon Tongue
but everything can be a weapon, if you know how to use it!
But I've already had an dream, where I pull out my Lightsaber out of my trainingbag..
and the person just laughs.. "Hahaha, you will beat me with this toy?"
Just secounds later he and his friend lying on the ground..

Never underestimate an Ultrasaber.. Cheesy

(_||||____o|||||_/                                                             )
STANDARD ISSUE BATTLE SABERS!
(_||||____o|||||_\                                                             )

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: