Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Author Topic: Real Applications - Half Joking?  (Read 18875 times)
Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2012, 01:24:23 AM »

I love my polypropylene bokken! Also I agree with you about self defense

Amanita
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2012, 02:11:42 AM »

I've got an awesome collection of polypropylene- a katana, longsword, sword breaker, and gladius from Cold Steel, and two Chinese sabers made by somebody else.

It's a shame that what amounts to saber spinning with those in an NYC public park could get me in deep doo doo, from the sounds of things. Here, the cops seem okay, as long as it's not sharp and you're not trying to hurt anyone. Heck, I've gotten into friendly sparring matches with friends down on the waterfront, and nobody's said anything.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2012, 02:45:30 AM »

Polypropylene bokken FTW!  I have the longsword, arming sword, and the dagger.  Good stuff.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2012, 03:12:27 AM »

I've got an awesome collection of polypropylene- a katana, longsword, sword breaker, and gladius from Cold Steel, and two Chinese sabers made by somebody else.

It's a shame that what amounts to saber spinning with those in an NYC public park could get me in deep doo doo, from the sounds of things. Here, the cops seem okay, as long as it's not sharp and you're not trying to hurt anyone. Heck, I've gotten into friendly sparring matches with friends down on the waterfront, and nobody's said anything.

We generally meet at Washington Square Park, during spring and summer, and never get gaff from the cops. If anything, they are just as interested as the NYU crowd.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Amanita
Knight Captain

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2012, 04:08:46 AM »

That's always good to know:) I imagine it's obvious that you guys aren't trying to hurt each other for real, which is one thing cops watch out for. I imagine NY'ers are used to performance, and showing off. I remember doing a bit of kata right next to One Astor Plaza, with my Shock LE, while my friend watched, leaning up against one of that skyscraper's big white fins:)

I miss NYC, I'll have to check out the NY Jedi classes next time I'm in town.

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2012, 05:25:48 AM »

I have a polypropylene dagger and gladius. The gladius is pure awesome.

no

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2012, 06:29:56 AM »

I should get some more polypropylene weapons... They are really amazing.

Amanita
Knight Captain

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2012, 06:33:10 AM »

I'm getting the buckler that Cold Steel plans to release. Let's see- I still need the single hand sword and dagger, and the wakizashi and tanto.
Too bad a practice session with the things in Central Park would probably be frowned upon:(
But here's a fun idea! Jedi vs Sith fighting over Belvedere castle. One side defends, the other lays siege. As it is, I wanna do a costumed photo shoot there like nobody's business.

juggalojedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »

thanks y'all for adding another "if some idiot ever attacks me" scenario. i'm a big guy 6'2" bout 225 and have been waiting 15 years to apply all my hard learned martial training for some reason no one ever bothers me and im not the type to start any kind of problem. *sigh* ill keep waiting i guess. anybody know where the really stupid criminals hang out?

lightside plz

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »

thanks y'all for adding another "if some idiot ever attacks me" scenario. i'm a big guy 6'2" bout 225 and have been waiting 15 years to apply all my hard learned martial training for some reason no one ever bothers me and im not the type to start any kind of problem. *sigh* ill keep waiting i guess. anybody know where the really stupid criminals hang out?

I think it's best to avoid combat, but I guess you could always hire a hitman/hitwoman to kill you or put out a bounty on your own head....

no

Mitth_Fisto
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -7

I'm Shade, and I'm not here to rescue you.

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »

I think it's best to avoid combat, but I guess you could always hire a hitman/hitwoman to kill you or put out a bounty on your own head....

I wouldn't do it, they tend to use guns and surprise Roll Eyes

Although I get the first is saying, I know a few places where I live that if I went there at a certain time of day I could likely run into unsavory types very easily. I'm not about to go there and see if I'm as good as I think I am though. Recently had a master of some form of martial art, the one where you use your opponents actions against them? Anyway he tried to save a woman being attacked by three guys, and died for his attempted heroism as did the woman. When dealing with criminals, if there is a pack level you can be overwhelmed even if a master.

So a word of caution.

Cool Chaos, it's good for business.

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »

I wouldn't do it, they tend to use guns and surprise Roll Eyes

So do other criminals..?

Anyways, I'm not about to go out and find a gang to beat up (especially not with an LED saber). That just seems irrational.

no

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »

Well and generally if you're going to go up against overwhelming odds... being armed to the teeth doesn't hurt.

My sensei taught me, if you get into a knife fight you'll get cut, and if you get into a gunfight you'll get shot. Just easy logic, if you're in the situation where you are fighting against people who are going to kill you, you have to be ready to accept those consequences.

That's why I don't hunt out trouble, that being said trouble has a certain way of finding me, and I've gotten used to the company.

Darth Karhu
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

If a show of teeth isn't enough, be ready to bite.

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 02:44:44 AM »

Personal story on the subject...shortly after our group formed, a couple of members were outside in the parking lot of our practice space, which is (unfortunately) in an area of town known for a "rough" element, when several of the locals came through and started to hassle them. Both are former Military, and trained martial artists, and they just started to go at each other full force like there was no tomorrow. Several of us came running outside to watch the match, only to be greeted by the site  of the locals backing away commenting about the "crazy guys beating on each other with glowing clubs"...that's when we all lit up and rushed in, and had our first night time grand melee in the parking lot. (certainly not our last!)
We haven't had any trouble in the neighborhood since that night, and the neighborhood watch, and local parents regularly drop by now to chat with us, drop in to watch, and some have even joined us.
But DAMN I wish we coulda gotten the reaction that first night on camera!

Dark Side points are preferred

The Collection-
CG Bellicose w 32" blade
BR Overlord w 32" blade w Obsidian (Blackstar font)
GB Dark Initiate V2 w 24" blade
BR Aeon V2 w 32" blade
AS Initiate V2 w 32" blade
AS/AS Phantasm V2 w 32" blades (en route)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: