Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian wiring pins (DIY folks only!)  (Read 4400 times)
Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 110

« on: June 22, 2011, 08:02:14 AM »

For DIY users and DIY users *ONLY*, this thread will be helpful to set some "ease-of-use" standards...

If you are *NOT* doing a DIY Obsidian project... this is probably not the thread for you, these aren't the droids you're looking for... move along... move along, move along.  Smiley

Ok, so... after discussing this a bit with Alex, I thought it would be good / easier for DIY folks to:

* Label / identify the board pins with numbers
* Color-coordinate the pins (in a logical fashion)

Both of which will REALLY stomp out any possibility of people mucking up the board wiring.

My suggestions are as follows, but feel free to suggest your own in similar format:

1   2
3   4
5   6

Big capacitor is below these pins, so... you now know the orientation.  Smiley

1 = white  (switch)
2 = SPK + (yellow)
3 = LED - (brown)
4 = SPK - (green or orange)
5 = Batt - & switch ground (BLACK)
6 = Batt + & LED +           (RED)

I think pins 5 & 6 are no-brainers... but I might be wrong.

Keep in mind the following:

* I do not have a degree in electronics, and therefore I don't follow any "standard" wiring coloring... further, I see colors used in many ways with wiring anyhow
* This is by no means definitive--if YOU like... use all black wires if you feel like it.
* The pin numbers could be arranged differently... but who cares, as long as we all agree to SOME standard...

The point is... to make things SOOOOOO easy... that eventually, a 6-pin wiring harness could be in the store (I hope?)... and there would be almost no confusion ever again (right here in the BEGINNING) with the wiring.  You'd almost have to be a complete lummux to muck it up at that point... which is *GOOD* for folks because... the easier the DIY project is--the better, right?  Smiley

Creator of the "BALANCE OF POWER" live staged-combat shows
Licensed & experienced sabre fencing instructor
Sound font engineer for "Crystal Focus" & Obsidian
Creator of the NSCFCDs (CF Sound CDs)
Co-Founder of Golden Gate Knights (SF)
Co-Creator of NCSCS (Nova & Caine's Saber Combat System)

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »

thanks novastar! this was great help for my saber.

Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »

Do any other DIYers have anything to say about this?

I mean... the only thing I think could easily be changed (to make even MORE sense)... is to consider both speaker wires becoming the same color.  Since there really is no distinction needed between "+ and -" for speakers on a monophonic system (1 speaker).  As it is... there isn't always need for that on a POLYphonic system... Smiley

Anyhow.  I still look forward to that day in the future when the wiring harness is a 6-pin setup with no real concerns for people of how to connect it... and at that point, it could hardly be ANY easier to wire the sucker up!  Yes, at that point... it'll be the easiest wiring job ever for a saber board.  Smiley

Lan-Ipsum Dominus
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

You underestimate my powers...

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 12:48:04 AM »

Well i dont mean to be pushy but would you mind doing a tutorial to put one in your saber (Preferrably a video tutorial.) Any help is appreciated

I appreciate lightside points. LOLJK

Owned sabers:
Anakin Skywalker AOTC Ultimate FX
Darth Vader ANH Ultimate FX

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2030

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 01:27:55 AM »

Very simple to fallow. What about the wire for the resistor though? I hear its needed only for the DIY projects. I might use the Obsidian board in a future build. Would it fit in 1 inch PVC? Just curious is all.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 03:54:18 AM »

Very simple to fallow. What about the wire for the resistor though? I hear its needed only for the DIY projects. I might use the Obsidian board in a future build. Would it fit in 1 inch PVC? Just curious is all.
This is a multi-faceted question... let's see:

* If you are doing a DIY build with Obsidian, you should know what a resistor does, why you need it, IF you need it... and where it goes for an LED
* In some cases, you will not need a resistor for your LED at all
* Refer to the board specifications for whether an Obsidian board will fit into your project(s) or not

In general, Obsidian will fit into most saber projects.  In general, a resistor goes onto either the positive OR the negative line to your LED.  I recommend using the positive.

If you use a small "coin-cell" style LED driver... you will not need a resistor at all.  But again--if you are doing a DIY project with Obsidian (and that means YOU the READER of this thread)... you'd better know the rudimentary + foundational basics about wiring / what you're doing.  Otherwise--don't be doing a DIY project with electronics, please!!

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 06:10:04 AM »

Agreed! Please no borked Obsidian boards!

The wiring diagram is very easy to follow, and just make sure you take your time on the install.

myke
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:25:53 PM »

I just finished my Obsidian install.  Piece of cake. This page helped...Also Pandatrooper's post http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=1623.0 really helped. Especially if you're the visual type. This is all you need.

Well done. I love it!! Can't wait to take to FanExpo in Toronto this weekend!!

Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 08:14:53 AM »

Word, Mike!  Smiley  Don't forget to post vids and share your experiences on the forum!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: