Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Top 11 Favourite 90s Movies of all Time  (Read 14776 times)
LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 05:37:19 PM »

Ah, the good old days.  Before the bean counters decided to not listen to James Cameron and cap it at two films.  Wink  Of course, if he'd done the coda ending he originally wanted, then there would have been no room left for a sequel.

My headcanon (which I only take half-seriously because I have mixed feelings on headcanons) ends at 2. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What was the coda ending he wanted? I don't know if I've heard of this. I've definitely heard of him wanting to end it at 2 but I didn't know he had another ending in mind.

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »

What was the coda ending he wanted? I don't know if I've heard of this. I've definitely heard of him wanting to end it at 2 but I didn't know he had another ending in mind.

An older Sarah Connor would have been sitting on a park bench.  Of course, this would have been well after Judgment Day's date had come and gone.  She would have talked to somebody about her son, John Connor, the senator.  A non veteran Kyle Reese would have also walked by.  I've read two reasons he was talked out of this scene.  1. It didn't fit the dark and gritty feel of the film as well as the "unknown future" road ending. 2. John Connor had a criminal record.  Even a sealed juvie record would have likely prevented him from serving in the US Senate.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »

Oh gosh clearly I glossed over that rule in my excitement. Apologies.  Cheesy

I like to build up to my number ones. Going from 1 to 11 just feels like a descent, while 11 to 1 is an ascent in quality. I think it's a more exciting order.
Fair enough. Although did you see the rule about picks not having to be in order? It's hard enough limiting choices down to 11 with honourable mentions. Throw in having to put them in order and I'm afraid many people's heads would explode. However, if you feel more comfortable doing it that way, carry on. This is all about fun and I'm not going to nitpick, because your list is AWESOME!  Cheesy

Ah, the good old days.  Before the bean counters decided to not listen to James Cameron and cap it at two films.  Wink  Of course, if he'd done the coda ending he originally wanted, then there would have been no room left for a sequel.
The ironic thing is, Dark Horse did LOADS of terminator mini-series comics in the 90s that added to the lore, didn't contradict anything in the movies, introduced new interesting characters and had compelling stories. And yet, Hollywood studios and/or writers have struggled since Cameron left.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 06:18:14 PM »

Man, only 11.  Ok, here we go.

1.) Tombstone
2.) Terminator 2
3.) Last of the Mohicans
4.) Pulp Fiction
5.) Reservoir Dogs
6.) The Fifth Element
7.) The Matrix
8.) Braveheart
9.) Jurassic Park
10.) Interview with the Vampire
11.) Fight Club

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »

What I liked most about SG-1 was the extreme amount of collaboration between the show and the United States Air Force. SG-1 actually had the full support and endorsement of the Air Force and the Department of Defense, to the point that two sitting Chiefs of Staff (General Ryan and General Jumper) guest starred on the show AS THEMSELVES.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »

Man, only 11.  Ok, here we go.

1.) Tombstone
2.) Terminator 2
3.) Last of the Mohicans
4.) Pulp Fiction
5.) Reservoir Dogs
6.) The Fifth Element
7.) The Matrix
8.) Braveheart
9.) Jurassic Park
10.) Interview with the Vampire
11.) Fight Club
No honourable mentions?

Dammit! I totally forgot about Braveheart. And Tombstone was one of those situations when two movies come out within a few months of each other about the same thing (Armageddon/Deep Impact for instance). Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner didn't stand a chance because Tombstone was AMAZING (I'm your huckleberry).

What I liked most about SG-1 was the extreme amount of collaboration between the show and the United States Air Force. SG-1 actually had the full support and endorsement of the Air Force and the Department of Defense, to the point that two sitting Chiefs of Staff (General Ryan and General Jumper) guest starred on the show AS THEMSELVES.
That was very cool.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »

No honourable mentions?

Dammit! I totally forgot about Braveheart. And Tombstone was one of those situations when two movies come out within a few months of each other about the same thing (Armageddon/Deep Impact for instance). Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner didn't stand a chance because Tombstone was AMAZING (I'm your huckleberry).
That was very cool.

It was hard enough to narrow it down to 11, honorable mentions would a whole list on its own :p

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 07:41:03 PM »

The ironic thing is, Dark Horse did LOADS of terminator mini-series comics in the 90s that added to the lore, didn't contradict anything in the movies, introduced new interesting characters and had compelling stories. And yet, Hollywood studios and/or writers have struggled since Cameron left.

Hell, the Hollywood writers couldn't even keep John Connor's age consistent.  It was clearly shown he was 10 years old in the second film, (on the police computer screen) yet they claimed in T3 that he was 13 years old.  Roll Eyes  That kind of lack of attention to detail, along with trying to "one up" the previous films is what made the series a mess.  Salvation I actually thought was decent, and I won't even discuss Genisys.

Dark Horse definitely does a much better job of writing tie-ins than Hollywood, but that's not hard to do.  Their writers no doubt studied the source material and worked hard to keep it consistent to what had been done before, as opposed to the cash grab sequel that was T3.

There was also a trilogy of novels by S. M. Sterling that came about in the early 2000s, starting prior to T3, that did a nice job of telling more competent sequel stories.  T2: Infiltrator is the first one, and is a really nicely written novel that was a much better follow-up than T3, where a female Infiltrator unit was sent back to the 1990s to ensure that Skynet was born, which would have been necessary after the destruction of the Cyberdyne lab in T2.  And, of course, all Terminators have the mission of finding and killing John Connor.  Obviously, a lot of this was "borrowed" for T3, but T3 was less competently written.  Of the three novels in the series, I've only read the first one.  I really need to get all three and read them.  Critics praise the trilogy for remaining consistent with the first two films, something Hollywood can't seem to manage.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »

Hell, the Hollywood writers couldn't even keep John Connor's age consistent.  It was clearly shown he was 10 years old in the second film, (on the police computer screen) yet they claimed in T3 that he was 13 years old.  Roll Eyes  That kind of lack of attention to detail, along with trying to "one up" the previous films is what made the series a mess.  Salvation I actually thought was decent, and I won't even

I always felt that was  a screwup since he was Obviously way older than 10 (Furlong was 15)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 08:14:50 PM »

I always felt that was  a screwup since he was Obviously way older than 10 (Furlong was 15)
That always bugged me about T2. But fortunately the rest of the movie is so good that it's a minor quibble.

Hell, the Hollywood writers couldn't even keep John Connor's age consistent.  It was clearly shown he was 10 years old in the second film, (on the police computer screen) yet they claimed in T3 that he was 13 years old.  Roll Eyes  That kind of lack of attention to detail, along with trying to "one up" the previous films is what made the series a mess.  Salvation I actually thought was decent, and I won't even discuss Genisys.

Dark Horse definitely does a much better job of writing tie-ins than Hollywood, but that's not hard to do.  Their writers no doubt studied the source material and worked hard to keep it consistent to what had been done before, as opposed to the cash grab sequel that was T3.

There was also a trilogy of novels by S. M. Sterling that came about in the early 2000s, starting prior to T3, that did a nice job of telling more competent sequel stories.  T2: Infiltrator is the first one, and is a really nicely written novel that was a much better follow-up than T3, where a female Infiltrator unit was sent back to the 1990s to ensure that Skynet was born, which would have been necessary after the destruction of the Cyberdyne lab in T2.  And, of course, all Terminators have the mission of finding and killing John Connor.  Obviously, a lot of this was "borrowed" for T3, but T3 was less competently written.  Of the three novels in the series, I've only read the first one.  I really need to get all three and read them.  Critics praise the trilogy for remaining consistent with the first two films, something Hollywood can't seem to manage.
I still own all those Dark Horse Terminator comics. Any one of them would have made for a great movie. Or, here's an idea, hire the writers from those comics to write your script Hollywood. It's not rocket science.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 10:46:16 PM »

Yes, but he was born in 1985.  For him to have been 13, the movie would have taken place in 1998, after Judgment Day.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:46 PM »

Yes, but he was born in 1985.  For him to have been 13, the movie would have taken place in 1998, after Judgment Day.

My Point, they got an actor way too old

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »

My Point, they got an actor way too old
He was good, but I agree. His was the wrong age.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 12:20:05 AM »

Yeah, that's probably the biggest flaw with the movie.  I guess T3 tried making his age more believable and hoping people wouldn't notice the 10-year-old thing, but it caused continuity issues.  I wonder why Cameron cast Edward Furlong, as opposed to trying to find an actor who looked more the age.  Oh well, it's still a great film.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 02:11:26 AM »

First, my honorables.

Con-Air (1997)
Scream (1996)
Back to the Future III (1990)

11- My Girl (1991)
10- As Good As It Gets (1997)
9- Terminator 2 (1991)
8- From Dusk Til Dawn (1996)
7- Silence of the Lambs (1991)
6- Pulp Fiction (1994) Be cool b*tch! Yes, 6!
5- Friday (1995)
4- Rudy (1993)
3- Life is Beautiful (1997)
2- American History X (1998)
1- Fight Club (1999)

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: