Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288942 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #5085 on: August 24, 2017, 01:06:13 AM »

Here is what I told someone when they questioned my "Adultness" when they found out about my hobbies, foremost of them is action figure collecting.

As Long as I hold down employment, provide for my family and fulfill the necessities to live (bills, mortgage/rent etc.) As well as not harming myself or others....I can do whatever the hell I want with my money.

...and I have  no clue why people make a stink about comic sans...its just a font.  Honestly I couldn't identify it unless you told me.  But, I never had to write papers on a computer nor do I now.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #5086 on: August 24, 2017, 01:11:54 AM »

Here is what I told someone when they questioned my "Adultness" when they found out about my hobbies, foremost of them is action figure collecting.

As Long as I hold down employment, provide for my family and fulfill the necessities to live (bills, mortgage/rent etc.) As well as not harming myself or others....I can do whatever the hell I want with my money.
Yes! This is great. I love it. Point to you, good sir, for putting it so well. Words I live by.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5087 on: August 24, 2017, 02:00:44 PM »

Amen

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5088 on: August 24, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »

But it's a font.

- Can it be read? Check
- Can it be used to spell words in multiple languages that use Latin alphabet? Check
- Can spellcheck distinguish when you've made a typo with it? Most likely

So who gives a flying kriff? There's like a bajillion different fonts available. If you don't like the way one looks, use another.

So you are saying that you DID get the coveted " sexy " t-shirt and still couldn't work it lol ?!   Roll Eyes Tongue

All the US t's have that font and I like the playfulness of it and I can read the words.  Wink

I think he forgot to wear his saber with the shirt, and therefore lacked the requisite level of sexy perceived to be needed to counter the imaginary detrimental effects of the font.

I don't know why anyone else hates it if I'm honest. I work in education, well, I say work...I pretend to be a normal human and the educational authorities have believed it so far. Anyhoo, all documents, paperwork, books even...anything...anything at all that is distributed to kids is printed in comic sans. kids of all ages. Here's my list (this is the venting thread after all.)

1. It feels like the kids are being talked down to to me. What? Young adults can't handle anything other than a comic book font? How patronising!
2. It's a comic book font. Yes, comics are a life and death issue to some. But we're talking education. We're supposed to value education. Use a font that doesn't scream "frivolous and fancy free"
3. There is no academic research whatsoever (psychological or educational) to back up that it is useful to young people including those with reading/learning issues.

When I found out that the rest of the world hated it too I jumped for joy. Hooray! It'll go away soon. Nope. Now it's become so entrenched that if a document is produced in any other font people who work in education will actually say "be a dear and switch that to comic sans would you?" No I won't. vvvvVVVVSSHHHHT. And now you are missing a hand.

But why do they hate it? You've listed reasons, but....NEWS FLASH! Adults talk down to children. It's what they do. I can't tell you how uncomfortable it was as a child for adults to speak to me as though I considered cookies and candy to be a food group. It pains me even more as an "adult" seeing it still happening. My philosophy is to treat kids like people. Small people with limited exposure and experience. Most of the adults I have to deal with get a chuckle from me but couldn't understand me if their lives depended on it. Most kids think I'm the coolest thing ever.

"Look mom, there's a grown man that likes children's things"
"Look away dear"

I'm a grown man that collects lightsabers and LEGOs, and enjoys watching cartoons, playing video games, and cosplaying. I really don't think the font on a shirt is going to be a deal breaker. Tongue

I've told people this for a while now; the new millennium is the age of the Nerd/Geek/Dork. It has become a culture. We are no longer ashamed of what we enjoy regardless of popularity as long as it is within the bounds of the law.

And as for "adultness"....

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

c3p-oates
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 16

You may not recognize me because of the tartan arm

« Reply #5089 on: August 24, 2017, 08:47:07 PM »

So who gives a flying kriff? There's like a bajillion different fonts available. If you don't like the way one looks, use another.

Did I overly vent? In the venting thread?

My comic sans hatred has overshadowed my logo love. A session of font therapy please.

What I should have said was...Ditch the text on the back of the shirt and replace it with a big f*** off US logo please.

Sean107
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -27

Peace Is A Lie!

« Reply #5090 on: August 24, 2017, 09:00:47 PM »

Did I overly vent? In the venting thread?

My comic sans hatred has overshadowed my logo love. A session of font therapy please.

What I should have said was...Ditch the text on the back of the shirt and replace it with a big f*** off US logo please.
I understand being in education, this could make things a little more upsetting. Depending on the job I'm working we have to use different fonts all the time. I just don't think I ever felt like it would ruin my day to hit 'Select All' and change font to appropriate type. Everyone has their own opinions and goes nuts over different things. One thing for me is how the new generation of adults feel as if they shouldn't have to work for anything. It should just be handed to them. This drives me to drink. Which I do very well. Cheesy

Blades:
Dark Initiate LE V4 - AS
Sentinel V4 - AS
Dark Shock - TRI BR/GB/CG
Overlord - TRI BR/GB/CG

c3p-oates
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5091 on: August 24, 2017, 09:18:46 PM »

One thing for me is how the new generation of adults feel as if they shouldn't have to work for anything. It should just be handed to them.

I hear you brother. I'm still trying to work out where and why this attitude arose. One thing I hear parents say sometimes is "I just want them to have what I didn't." Why? You didn't have 8 pairs of $300 trainers and you seem to have turned out OK.

There's no appreciation of the value of things. Everything given to them on a plate. This idea that education is currently touting of "Everyone is a winner" is harmful. What we should actually be doing is pointing out real winners in business and sport and saying "See that person there? They had to work really hard to get where they are." Kids come out of education today believing everyone is a winner then try and get a job/career to find out there's a harsh reality that no one has mentioned to them so far. Education should be about preparing young adults for the real world and all that entails. Not filling their head with blatant fantasy.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #5092 on: August 24, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »

To paraphrase The Incredibles:

"I'll show them what it is to be a winner. I'll give them the most spectacular winner anyone's ever seen! And when I'm old and I've had my fun, I'll praise everyone for being special snowflakes. EVERYONE can be a winner! And when everyone's a winner... no one will be."

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Sean107
Knight Sergeant

Peace Is A Lie!

« Reply #5093 on: August 24, 2017, 09:48:15 PM »

To paraphrase The Incredibles:

"I'll show them what it is to be a winner. I'll give them the most spectacular winner anyone's ever seen! And when I'm old and I've had my fun, I'll praise everyone for being special snowflakes. EVERYONE can be a winner! And when everyone's a winner... no one will be."
Couldn't have said it better.

I hear you brother. I'm still trying to work out where and why this attitude arose. One thing I hear parents say sometimes is "I just want them to have what I didn't." Why? You didn't have 8 pairs of $300 trainers and you seem to have turned out OK.
You said it. It's the whole everyone is a winner. There are no losers. And if you're offended/disrespected/upset by any situation we will fix it for you. When I was a kid, if you were offended by anything you just walked away.

Blades:
Dark Initiate LE V4 - AS
Sentinel V4 - AS
Overlord - TRI BR/GB/CG

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #5094 on: August 24, 2017, 10:00:56 PM »

I'm going to chime in and tell you what really bugs me. Today's mentality that if you have problems of any kind you need counseling. I hate counseling. I've had two kids in it, spent lots of money and I can tell you it's a big fat joke.  "You don't need religion just go to counciling."A bunch of money sucking BS.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

c3p-oates
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5095 on: August 24, 2017, 10:16:25 PM »

I thought I was gonna be a surefire threadkiller there. I'm glad that I've hit some common ground and that there are still people out there with their head screwed on. Thank you gents for taking the time to reassure an old fashioned guy that he's maybe not as old fashioned as he thought he was. A point for all 3 of you I say!

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #5096 on: August 25, 2017, 12:23:25 AM »

it's a big fat joke.  A bunch of money sucking BS.

You're wrong.

Like most things in the world, it depends on a number of things. It depends on the counselor, the person in counseling, why they're there, and a number of other factors.

Is it a universal cure all? Of course not. Will it help everyone the same way? Of course not. But there are people it can and does help, who would not be where they are today, and who are greatful that it's given them a better understanding of themselves.

And I'm not touching the "religion" comment, partially because it would violate forum rules, and partially because I'm not sure I could do so without a large amount of violence.

I'm sorry it hasn't helped you or your children, but that doesn't mean it does not help others.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #5097 on: August 25, 2017, 05:23:14 AM »

You're wrong.

Like most things in the world, it depends on a number of things. It depends on the counselor, the person in counseling, why they're there, and a number of other factors.

Is it a universal cure all? Of course not. Will it help everyone the same way? Of course not. But there are people it can and does help, who would not be where they are today, and who are greatful that it's given them a better understanding of themselves.

And I'm not touching the "religion" comment, partially because it would violate forum rules, and partially because I'm not sure I could do so without a large amount of violence.

I'm sorry it hasn't helped you or your children, but that doesn't mean it does not help others.

Thank you. Counselling/therapy REALLY helped me. I can say with confidence, I would not be here today without my therapist, and I certainly wouldn't be on the path I'm on, which will lead me to live a happier AND more successful life, in time. That's worth all the money in the world to me, and I've sunk a lot into it, but it's money well spent.

But I also don't think it'll be a cure all an won't work for everybody. Like Viv said. It's just like any kind of coaching/teaching, if you aren't willing to try you won't get anything out of it. I find most of the people I know that say things like "counselling is dumb" generally had that same attitude when they went in, so of course they got little to nothing out of it.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Sean107
Knight Sergeant

Peace Is A Lie!

« Reply #5098 on: August 25, 2017, 07:34:16 AM »

I find it very ironic that the last two posts have reminded me the last time I was in the dentist office.  Cheesy

He told me studies show, the quantity of life has gone up, while the quality of life has gone down. I'm a little slow when it comes to philosophy, but basically, people are living longer lives, but more depressing lives. Talk about sucking the happiness out of the world. "I'm willing to give up living, just to stay alive."

(Yoda chimes in) "The shadow of greed, that is."

I hope I'm not offending anyone here, but just found it ironic, that after 2 weeks now, I actually see what he was talking about. I may have to start going to him for therapeutic advice. Cheesy

Blades:
Dark Initiate LE V4 - AS
Sentinel V4 - AS
Overlord - TRI BR/GB/CG

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #5099 on: August 25, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »

You're wrong.

I'm sure for that small percentage it can be a benefit. Counciling seems to me to be the worlds answer to everything these days and it's a joke. Therapy for a depressed child with ADD, a joke.  If you want help and your willing then I suppose the right counselor can help. I still think it's over rated.  I think my biggest point is it's not an answer to all.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: