Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: How do you make the "light" hilts look weathered?  (Read 4731 times)
Darth Dau Kho
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -43

Darkside points please

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »

I think black would make it look like its plastic underneath! Grey seems like the best option currently but we'll see once I'll get it. c:

Thanks for all the responses once again! It really helped ^^
Once it gets wiped it looks like really defined scratches and battle scars, not at all plastic like.  And not a problem at all, glad to help!

BR SI, GB Dark Initiate v3, CG Dark Initiate v3, GB Archon v2 Obsidian, AS Custom Aeon v2, AB Dark Initiate v3, VA Dark Initiate v3, VA Initiate v2

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »

Here's an example of what it might look like.  This is using the same method I told you about.

http://imgur.com/a/yXcjI/embed#0

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »

god i love that hilt, hard to belive its just a regular old standard issue

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Martyr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:20 PM »

Once it gets wiped it looks like really defined scratches and battle scars, not at all plastic like.  And not a problem at all, glad to help!

Ah, then I'll give it a try then in October. Wink

Here's an example of what it might look like.  This is using the same method I told you about.

That has to be the most awesome saber I've ever seen!! Has black paint been used on that one?

"Only heroes die. Villains and cowards are left to suffer."

Darth Dau Kho
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -43

Darkside points please

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »

Ah, then I'll give it a try then in October. Wink

That has to be the most awesome saber I've ever seen!! Has black paint been used on that one?

Yes this has been painted with black paint. This is what mine looks like minus the doohickeys.

BR SI, GB Dark Initiate v3, CG Dark Initiate v3, GB Archon v2 Obsidian, AS Custom Aeon v2, AB Dark Initiate v3, VA Dark Initiate v3, VA Initiate v2

originalnickb
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »

Lol I was ust about to link my SI for an example but it looks like someone beat me to it! But yep that was weather all with black paint. To be more specific, I took a dremel and sandpaper to scratch and rough off the blue anodizing, then mixed black paint with a little water to thin it out and then brushed it and wiped it off. Just use a little at a time until you get the effect your looking for. Then DEFINITELY put a layer of clearcoat on it or it will rub off in about a day.

Also some of the doohickys on it before were switched to some smaller doohickys so its not so spiky. Smiley

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »

Lol I was ust about to link my SI for an example but it looks like someone beat me to it! But yep that was weather all with black paint. To be more specific, I took a dremel and sandpaper to scratch and rough off the blue anodizing, then mixed black paint with a little water to thin it out and then brushed it and wiped it off. Just use a little at a time until you get the effect your looking for. Then DEFINITELY put a layer of clearcoat on it or it will rub off in about a day.

Also some of the doohickys on it before were switched to some smaller doohickys so its not so spiky. Smiley

That was me.  I absolutely love that hilt.  So much so that I made one in similar fashion.  It's not quite done yet, but I'm getting there.

jedimasta556
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -13

Should I Listen?

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »

I've seen where people sand the hilt with a mixture of rough and fine sand paper, then you spray paint it, and wipe away the excess. All that remains is the paint in the scratches. Then use a matte finish clear coat to lock in the color so it won't rub out. I recently did this to my SI.

WOOT Standard Issue FOR TEH WINZOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Dark Side Points Are Like Pie To Me. (I LOVE Pie!!) Give Me Dark Side Points. GIVE. THEM. TO. ME. NOW!!!!!!

RIPAnakinSolo
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

Force Points Please

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »

This saber hilt is amazing. I am definitly going to try my hand at weathering a hilt in the future. Great Job.

DarthCooper88
11th Disciple of Masamune
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -248

Old-world crafstman, Sabersmith

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 03:57:40 PM »

You could do a Caustic soda aging, as shown here on my Starkiller, (it pits the metal, holds paint or aluma black well withour clear coating)

I made a whole tutorial thread  here awhile back:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=5739.msg74431#msg74431
It's a bit more involved than sandpaper, but if you really want an aged look , there is nothing like speeding up natures process of metal decomposition Grin

"You have been forged in fire, tempered in blood & come out steel" Brave Rifles! 3rd Armored Cavalr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: