Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288708 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1305 on: August 17, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »

Kinda like how I refuse to acknowledge Ted Nugent as a musician, since his guitar parts usually consist of the simplest riffs one could imagine, and are typically only based off simple pentatonic scales? Not to mention his "bass player" usually doesn't hit more than TWO notes in a song! Kinda like that?

Rock music doesn't have to be complex to be good. But to each his own.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1306 on: August 17, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »

Rock music doesn't have to be complex to be good. But to each his own.

It has more to do with his attitude than his music. More specifically, his attitude towards his music. If you ask Ted, he's the greatest guitarist to ever live, and his music is cutting edge. Despite the fact that he wasn't relevant since at least the 90's, until a few years ago, when he started going on political rants to gain attention. A real musician wants their music to be center of attention, not themselves. Ted Nugent has become a side show now, half the people I know who like Ted Nugent, like him because they agree with his stance on politics not because they actually like his music.

I met a lady in the grocery store a few months back who had on a Ted Nugent shirt, from one of his tours back in the day. She commented on a shirt I was wearing, (one of my random t-shirts with something witty written on it) and how she thought it was funny. We got to talking and I mentioned her shirt, and asked what her favorite Ted Nugent song was. She couldn't name one Ted Nugent song. She even admitted to not liking his music, but rather what he says about politics and the government. That's your average Ted Nugent fan these days, in my experience.(Not saying all, or that you aren't a fan who actually does like him for his music. I'm sure you are, Logos.)

That to me isn't a musician, when something besides your music is why you're in the spotlight. Ted Nugent is a political figure, Kanye is a reality TV star(whether he wants to admit it or not), Lady Gaga is a fashion icon, etc. They just happen to play music too.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1307 on: August 17, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »

It has more to do with his attitude than his music. More specifically, his attitude towards his music. If you ask Ted, he's the greatest guitarist to ever live, and his music is cutting edge. Despite the fact that he wasn't relevant since at least the 90's, until a few years ago, when he started going on political rants to gain attention. A real musician wants their music to be center of attention, not themselves. Ted Nugent has become a side show now, half the people I know who like Ted Nugent, like him because they agree with his stance on politics not because they actually like his music.

I met a lady in the grocery store a few months back who had on a Ted Nugent shirt, from one of his tours back in the day. She commented on a shirt I was wearing, (one of my random t-shirts with something witty written on it) and how she thought it was funny. We got to talking and I mentioned her shirt, and asked what her favorite Ted Nugent song was. She couldn't name one Ted Nugent song. She even admitted to not liking his music, but rather what he says about politics and the government. That's your average Ted Nugent fan these days, in my experience.(Not saying all, or that you aren't a fan who actually does like him for his music. I'm sure you are, Logos.)

That to me isn't a musician, when something besides your music is why you're in the spotlight. Ted Nugent is a political figure, Kanye is a reality TV star(whether he wants to admit it or not), Lady Gaga is a fashion icon, etc. They just happen to play music too.

I don't dispute any of these points. The political agenda is one of the reasons I started moving away from Lincoln Park. However, the political agenda started making their music lame anyway. Nugent I fear has become a result of his past rock'n'roller lifestyle from back in the day <read "deminished mental capacity"> leading to delusions of relevence. What I have to say about Kanye is not fit for civilized conversation. As far as Gaga goes. She might be crazy, but if she writes her own music, I have no beefs with her 'cause I actually like her music. Don't really care so much about the lyrics, but the music moves me. (What can I say? I'm a bassist, and I love a good rythm.)

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #1308 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »

Kinda like how I refuse to acknowledge Ted Nugent as a musician, since his guitar parts usually consist of the simplest riffs one could imagine, and are typically only based off simple pentatonic scales? Not to mention his "bass player" usually doesn't hit more than TWO notes in a song! Kinda like that?

Oh my gods, THAT GUY.  UGH!!  I saw him at a Kiss/Skid Row concert.  He was the opening act and man, he was horrific.  Terrible.  I, too, play the bass and I know exactly what you're talking about.  I mean, a repetitive bass line is great for something like "Running with the Devil," but that's Van Halen and they are allowed!  Tongue

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1309 on: August 17, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »

Oh my gods, THAT GUY.  UGH!!  I saw him at a Kiss/Skid Row concert.  He was the opening act and man, he was horrific.  Terrible.  I, too, play the bass and I know exactly what you're talking about.  I mean, a repetitive bass line is great for something like "Running with the Devil," but that's Van Halen and they are allowed!  Tongue

Points for VH love

Sig by For Tyeth

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Darth Groove

« Reply #1310 on: August 17, 2015, 10:23:41 PM »

Points for VH love

Black and Blue, baby!  (Course' thats post Roth) Wink

Failure is NOT an option!
ARSENAL
Dark Initiate LE v3; BR w/VA FoC; OBS v4
Chosen One CE; BR w/AS FoC; AV red; OBS v4
Dominix LE v3; VA W/AB FoC, AV red, OBS v4
Dark Liberator v3; FO, OBS v3
Guardian CE; Emerald, Black AV yellow, OBS v4
Sentinel v4, Windows, SRD w/AB FoC, Silver AV blue, OBS v4
Graflex SE, Emerald, silver AV, Brass buttons, OBS v3
Prophecy, GB blade, OBS v3, Silver AV
Standard Issue BS, GB w/VA FoC, Silver AV Green, OBS v3
Crimson Reaper, Emerald, Silver AV Blue, OBS v3, recharge port
Crimson Liberator, Stunt
Archon v2.1; CG w/AS FoC, AV Blue, OBS v4

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #1311 on: August 17, 2015, 11:52:25 PM »

Before we get in trouble for music-ing again, I'll rant about something ridiculous because seriously, what is this. 

I overheard some "parent" teaching their child to say, "I hate *insert political figure's* name!"  The parent then laughed about it like the child had done something cute.  The kid was about 3, btw.   I just . . . what is that?   The kid then started shouting, "I HATE (NAME)!!!" at the top of his lungs. 

I was not amused.   It didn't matter what name was being used, I found the situation itself disgusting.

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #1312 on: August 18, 2015, 12:38:20 AM »

Teaching hate is questionable to begin with.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #1313 on: August 18, 2015, 03:22:59 AM »

Teaching hate is questionable to begin with.

hmmmm....... Not for a Sith?........  Tongue

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #1314 on: August 18, 2015, 03:36:18 AM »

I definitely lean more grey in all honesty.
Tongue

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #1315 on: August 18, 2015, 03:37:05 AM »

I definitely lean more grey in all honesty.
Tongue

Right on, brother. Grey life. 

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1316 on: August 18, 2015, 04:00:12 AM »

I don't dispute any of these points. The political agenda is one of the reasons I started moving away from Lincoln Park. However, the political agenda started making their music lame anyway. Nugent I fear has become a result of his past rock'n'roller lifestyle from back in the day <read "deminished mental capacity"> leading to delusions of relevence. What I have to say about Kanye is not fit for civilized conversation. As far as Gaga goes. She might be crazy, but if she writes her own music, I have no beefs with her 'cause I actually like her music. Don't really care so much about the lyrics, but the music moves me. (What can I say? I'm a bassist, and I love a good rythm.)

Politics in music are weird. Outside of Punk(since that's the whole point), few bands can get political for more than a song here and there. Rage Against the Machine=Not as good if they wright love songs. One of the few bands who can get away with 100% political lyrics, IMO.

And yeah, I think Uncle Ted is approaching Ozzy levels of "See kids, this is why drugs are bad."

Kanye was an example I'm not proud of, in retrospect. lol

As for Gaga, I'll admit to thinking her songs were catchy back in 2009. Not really my thing, but I don't change the station when they come on. Plus I listen to Taylor Swift, I have no room to criticize someone for musical taste.

Oh my gods, THAT GUY.  UGH!!  I saw him at a Kiss/Skid Row concert.  He was the opening act and man, he was horrific.  Terrible.  I, too, play the bass and I know exactly what you're talking about.  I mean, a repetitive bass line is great for something like "Running with the Devil," but that's Van Halen and they are allowed!  Tongue

Speaking of musicians that age has not been kind to....I wasn't aware KISS was still touring. lol. Music doesn't have to be complicated, but you DO have to be able to play your overly simple music, otherwise your musician card is revoked(probably should have just taken that approach instead of my long rant). Nirvana was a band that had relatively simple repetitive bass lines, but Krist Novoselic played them well, and somehow made them interesting. The guitar parts weren't all that complicated either, but I won't get into Kurt's lack of guitar playing(he was good at it.....when he was sober which was rare after about 92).

I think we need a music thread....and poof:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=25052.new#new
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:07:08 AM by ThreadJack » Logged

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1317 on: August 18, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »

SHUT UP! We're not all haters.  Tongue Tongue Tongue

As for Gaga, I'll admit to thinking her songs were catchy back in 2009. Not really my thing, but I don't change the station when they come on. Plus I listen to Taylor Swift, I have no room to criticize someone for musical taste.

I feel your pain. The recent contributions of Ms. Swift on the music industry I like. Sadly this is about all I like about her. Everything else just kinda...unsettles me.

Sig by For Tyeth

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1318 on: August 18, 2015, 10:53:55 PM »

I feel your pain. The recent contributions of Ms. Swift on the music industry I like. Sadly this is about all I like about her. Everything else just kinda...unsettles me.

She has started camping at the edge of the Uncanny Valley, hasn't she?

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1319 on: August 19, 2015, 08:24:22 PM »

She has started camping at the edge of the Uncanny Valley, hasn't she? Huh

In what ways?

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: