Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288436 times)
Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2280 on: April 30, 2016, 07:43:55 AM »

In contrast people come her saying, oh the dry heat is so nice compared to back home and then they end up in the hospital because staying hydrated is something you actively have to do here. I can't tell you how many people have to be airvac'd out of here because they thought a few water bottles would be enough to sustain them for the day.

I drink water like crazy (we're talking over a gallon a day), but I can see how the average tourist to your area would screw that up royally!

What sucks about this place is that heat stroke is a BIG thing here.  People often assume that drinking a lot of water is all they need to do, but the heat index plus humidity will just sap their strength before they even know it.  Your sweat doesn't evaporate quickly in the humidity, so people often "feel" cooler than they are, when in fact, they're overheating. 

I'm super used to the humidity, so it doesn't even faze me, but one of the most common causes of ER visits in the summer here?  Heat stroke. 

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #2281 on: April 30, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »

I drink water like crazy (we're talking over a gallon a day), but I can see how the average tourist to your area would screw that up royally!

What sucks about this place is that heat stroke is a BIG thing here.  People often assume that drinking a lot of water is all they need to do, but the heat index plus humidity will just sap their strength before they even know it.  Your sweat doesn't evaporate quickly in the humidity, so people often "feel" cooler than they are, when in fact, they're overheating. 

I'm super used to the humidity, so it doesn't even faze me, but one of the most common causes of ER visits in the summer here?  Heat stroke. 

Sounds about right, for some of my more intensive work related hikes I'm lugging around 1-2 gallons with me just to keep things at a good level.

We have a similar, but different problem with heat stroke. Sweat can evaporate so quickly that you basically just dry out. It's weird - you basically have to pay attention to the sweat levels under things like your pack in order to get a sense of how much water you're actually losing.  Dry heat is great, I wouldn't trade it for humidity in a heart beat, but it's also no joke. It's a desert for a reason and 120 degree dry heat will wreck you - you get in the shade and dress appropriately or you're going to die. Though finding shade in a desert isn't always easy. Actually one thing that always surprises people is the lack of decent sized trees.

We have so many wilderness related attractions out here thanks to the amount of federally controlled land and open space laws that tourists are constantly making fools of themselves.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2282 on: April 30, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »

Sounds a lot like what my dad has told me about being in places like Saudi Arabia.  The way he's described it, you don't even feel like you're sweating.

In contrast while I haven't actually lived right up on the Gulf Coast, I HAVE stayed at a hotel in Pascagoula, and I know exactly what you're talking about with the humidity.  But even Auburn could get like that and when I had a summer semester there and walked to class, it was very, very humid indeed.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2283 on: April 30, 2016, 05:53:31 PM »

Tourist season's almost over here! (I live in a skiing heavy area). People don't realize how extreme our weather can get here, which causes issues. We had a pretty mild winter this year, but it gets pretty cold at times. And windy. There'll be days when the wind chill is off the charts, so people naturally just throw a jacket, hat, and thin gloves on and think they won't be cold. HAH.

It also gets VERY humid here in the summer, though I imagine we're stay a ways below Louisiana....

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #2284 on: April 30, 2016, 09:55:49 PM »

Everyone that says that spends a week here in August and is crying for their cold weather in a matter of hours.  With the humidity comes bugs that can kill you and tires literally melting onto the pavement.  Also, hurricanes, flash floods, and tornadoes.

But I won't lie.  I love it here and I'm okay with all of that because we have New Orleans and the rest of the world doesn't.   Cheesy

I grew up in the D.C suburbs, I understand heat and humidity.  And really, really bad air quality thrown in.  It was never hot and humid, it was hazy, hot and humid.  In my world, if it's below 70, it's cold, 70-90 is warming, 90-105 is almost there, and 105-110 is comfortable, and the more humid it is, the easier I breath.  I'll skip the hurricanes though.

In contrast people come her saying, oh the dry heat is so nice compared to back home and then they end up in the hospital because staying hydrated is something you actively have to do here. I can't tell you how many people have to be airvac'd out of here because they thought a few water bottles would be enough to sustain them for the day.

It's been a while, but I spent a March through September in Sierra Vista.  The Army does, in fact, understand the concept of screaming at you to drink more water on a roughly hourly basis.  I did like the desert heat, and the thunderstorms in August that come over the mountains were beautiful to watch.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2285 on: April 30, 2016, 10:06:13 PM »

My neighbors around the curve have 4 kids and another on the way.  While I am rarely bothered by their children, I AM bothered by the fact that they tend to invite 15 people over to their house every weekend and those 15 people each seem to have 3-4 kids also.  That's a LOT of screaming and a LOT of noise and quite frankly, I'm thinking about shanking their bouncy house.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2286 on: April 30, 2016, 10:26:07 PM »

"The house is a'rockin, don't bother knockin', yeah, the house is a rockin', come on in!"

Sorry, I know that's not fun, but all I could think was Stevie Ray Vaughan.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2287 on: April 30, 2016, 10:41:34 PM »

My neighbors around the curve have 4 kids and another on the way.  While I am rarely bothered by their children, I AM bothered by the fact that they tend to invite 15 people over to their house every weekend and those 15 people each seem to have 3-4 kids also.  That's a LOT of screaming and a LOT of noise and quite frankly, I'm thinking about shanking their bouncy house.

Is there anyway you could ask them to keep these get togethers to a minimum? Like every other weekend?

(Sig by me!)

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2288 on: April 30, 2016, 11:26:19 PM »

Is there anyway you could ask them to keep these get togethers to a minimum? Like every other weekend?

Not really.  They don't go on for very long.  Only 3-4 hours at the most and it doesn't seem fair for me (the only person who is bothered) to ask them to stop doing something that isn't teeecchhhhnicaallly disturbing me.  They didn't do it during the winter, but now that summer approaches?  Yikes, it's gonna be bad, I suspect.  However, I usually just leave and run errands when they have their parties, but today, I was writing about *deleted-don't ask!* and I couldn't be arsed to tear myself from the writing.  I just turned up my music and tuned it out, but I really just wanted some peace and quiet. 

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #2289 on: April 30, 2016, 11:37:05 PM »

Nosebleeds? What the what?! I don't get nosebleeds.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2290 on: May 01, 2016, 12:20:41 AM »

My neighbors around the curve have 4 kids and another on the way.  While I am rarely bothered by their children, I AM bothered by the fact that they tend to invite 15 people over to their house every weekend and those 15 people each seem to have 3-4 kids also.  That's a LOT of screaming and a LOT of noise and quite frankly, I'm thinking about shanking their bouncy house.

Ever think about calling the Fire Marshal? Having 12-17 adults and 36-60 kids in one house has GOT to be breaking some kind of fire safety regs...

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2291 on: May 01, 2016, 01:52:49 AM »

Not really.  They don't go on for very long.  Only 3-4 hours at the most and it doesn't seem fair for me (the only person who is bothered) to ask them to stop doing something that isn't teeecchhhhnicaallly disturbing me.  They didn't do it during the winter, but now that summer approaches?  Yikes, it's gonna be bad, I suspect.  However, I usually just leave and run errands when they have their parties, but today, I was writing about *deleted-don't ask!* and I couldn't be arsed to tear myself from the writing.  I just turned up my music and tuned it out, but I really just wanted some peace and quiet. 

Ah, yeah. I suppose that would be unfair. Luckily my neighbors are an older man who's children are all grown, and doesn't do much aside from tending his garden, and a couple with one child who don't do much for get togethers....

(Sig by me!)

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2292 on: May 01, 2016, 02:51:07 AM »

Ever think about calling the Fire Marshal? Having 12-17 adults and 36-60 kids in one house has GOT to be breaking some kind of fire safety regs...

I did a rough count of the people they had over and it's about 26 kids and 15 adults, which is still a LOT of people.  My main gripe is that the kids are SHRIEKING for hours at a time.  If they keep it up, I may just chat up my friends at the police station and see what they think about it.  What I think is happening is that the adults are getting together to BBQ or boil crawfish and they're just tossing all the kids in the bouncy house and letting them run around the back yard. 

Maybe it's because I'm a giant introvert, but that just seems exhausting to have so many damn people over at your house.  Why would you do that EVERY weekend?  Why would you do it EVER?   Cheesy

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2293 on: May 01, 2016, 02:53:08 AM »

Same here!  That would absolutely completely and totally run me ragged...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G84P5K-W1c" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G84P5K-W1c</a>

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #2294 on: May 01, 2016, 06:45:20 PM »

People who post without first reading a thread.
That is all.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: