Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288447 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #2370 on: May 10, 2016, 02:05:04 PM »

Yeah....I don't know French. I took Deutsch.

I took English .... just because i wanted to purchase a US saber  Grin

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2371 on: May 10, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »

I think English would be easier to learn if our many synonyms weren't used so interchangeably.

Unfortunately, it's one of those languages where the context needs to determine what words are used.

Like in Japanese, baka has the literal translation of "stupid", but to actually call someone baka is a way more insulting in Japanese, than calling someone stupid in English.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #2372 on: May 10, 2016, 03:11:10 PM »

I think English would be easier to learn if our many synonyms weren't used so interchangeably.

Unfortunately, it's one of those languages where the context needs to determine what words are used.

Like in Japanese, baka has the literal translation of "stupid", but to actually call someone baka is a way more insulting in Japanese, than calling someone stupid in English.

I do not know if English is hard to learn. The fact is that English is used by many people ... so "correct English" is hard to define for a foreigner like me Smiley

I lived one year in Windsor (Ontario) and many colleagues from England tell me that i make a lot of error when speaking ... but my Canadian colleagues tell me that my english is correct  Grin

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2373 on: May 10, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »

French was a nightmare for me.  I can read it.  I can even understand it.  However, don't ask me to reply to it in any form because my brain just turns to word salad.  Conjugate this, dammit.  Tongue

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #2374 on: May 10, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »

French was a nightmare for me.  I can read it.  I can even understand it.  However, don't ask me to reply to it in any form because my brain just turns to word salad.  Conjugate this, dammit.  Tongue

Exactly!! French is a word salad Grin

The base is celtic with strong roman and greek influences... then, you can add germanic (and a little of persian, arabic and indian) words from the barbarian invasions of the 4th to 7th centuries (including the Franc invasion) to obtain the salad. For the dressing of the salad, you take the language reform of the XVIth century that added rules on rules on rules ...

I really think that English is easier to learn Wink

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2375 on: May 10, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »

Exactly!! French is a word salad Grin

The base is celtic with strong roman and greek influences... then, you can add germanic (and a little of persian, arabic and indian) words from the barbarian invasions of the 4th to 7th centuries (including the Franc invasion) to obtain the salad. For the dressing of the salad, you take the language reform of the XVIth century that added rules on rules on rules ...

I really think that English is easier to learn Wink

I've just heard from those who've had to learn ESL and those that teach it, that English is difficult. Hell, even a vast majority of those that "speak" it as a native language, can't get it exactly right. Just visit southern Indiana. It's a grammar teacher's worst nightmare.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #2376 on: May 10, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »

I've just heard from those who've had to learn ESL and those that teach it, that English is difficult. Hell, even a vast majority of those that "speak" it as a native language, can't get it exactly right. Just visit southern Indiana. It's a grammar teacher's worst nightmare.

Maybe you are right Wink

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2377 on: May 10, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »

English "borrows" from so many other languages, I can certainly see how it would be confusing to learn!

Oh, crap.  I'm supposed to be venting . . . . um.

I really despise the phrase "Netflix and chill."  If I'm watching Netflix, I am actually chilling.  Don't touch me when I am obviously engrossed in a very important documentary about the evolution of the paper airplane or I will make you sorry.   

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2378 on: May 10, 2016, 04:13:49 PM »

Venting.............right.............

The weather is shellty. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (mean frowny face) Angry Angry

Sig by For Tyeth

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2379 on: May 10, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »

Venting.............right.............

The weather is shellty. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (mean frowny face) Angry Angry

Okay, the filter ruined that for me because now I'm just over here like:

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2380 on: May 10, 2016, 04:39:23 PM »

Okay, the filter ruined that for me because now I'm just over here like:

I always thought that was a collie.

Sig by For Tyeth

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2381 on: May 10, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »

I always thought that was a collie.

Sheltie.  It's like Collie-lite.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2382 on: May 10, 2016, 05:48:37 PM »

So collie but scaled down?

Sig by For Tyeth

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #2383 on: May 10, 2016, 06:16:39 PM »

So collie but scaled down?

There's your size difference.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2384 on: May 10, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »

There's your size difference.

"Cripes, he's tiny....Wait a minute. He kinda looks like a baby."

That's not Collie Lite, that's Collie Mini-Me.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: