Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288463 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2955 on: July 02, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »

I get what you're saying here.  I don't know how it is in other parts of the Southern US, but here?  We're VERY big on politeness.  "Please" and "thank you" go a long way with me.  When people don't acknowledge a job well done at all, it's just . . . well, it's not cool with me.  Effusive praise and ass-kissing is not necessary, but "hey, thanks for that!  I appreciated it."  Perfect. 

It does depend.  Im from MS and had to move to Southern Florida 5 years ago.  Now Florida is considered "The South" but it couldn't be more different.  You should see the looks when I say "Yes Sir/Ma'am, Please, Thank You/Appreciate it etc."  It's like I am speaking another language.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2956 on: July 02, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »

I get what you're saying here.  I don't know how it is in other parts of the Southern US, but here?  We're VERY big on politeness.  "Please" and "thank you" go a long way with me.  When people don't acknowledge a job well done at all, it's just . . . well, it's not cool with me.  Effusive praise and ass-kissing is not necessary, but "hey, thanks for that!  I appreciated it."  Perfect. 

Where I am isn't as polite as the Deep South but there are definitely still some traditional manners.  Let's just say that for me, I was definitely taking notes on how I would NOT handle things if I ever got an award that wasn't for an individual effort but for a team I led. Wink

And Tepes, Southern Florida is NOT the South.  The Panhandle absolutely is Southern Alabama, but outside the Panhandle, there is definitely a different culture.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2957 on: July 02, 2016, 05:28:15 PM »

And Tepes, Southern Florida is NOT the South.  The Panhandle absolutely is Southern Alabama, but outside the Panhandle, there is definitely a different culture.

Exactly.

Upper Third = South Alabama

Middle Third = Retirement USA

Lower Third = Northern Cuba

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2958 on: July 02, 2016, 05:31:19 PM »

Where I am isn't as polite as the Deep South but there are definitely still some traditional manners.  Let's just say that for me, I was definitely taking notes on how I would NOT handle things if I ever got an award that wasn't for an individual effort but for a team I led. Wink

Never said I considered it the South...but talk to people here and from up north and they see it as the South the same as MS or AL...not even kidding.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2959 on: July 02, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »

Never said I considered it the South...but talk to people here and from up north and they see it as the South the same as MS or AL...not even kidding.

Geographically speaking, yes Florida is considered a Southern state. However, it is not the Deep South. The Deep South is actually considered to be Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. It's also called the Lower South or the Cotton States. These five states are where the largest concentration of plantiation-type agriculture and slavery were located.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2960 on: July 02, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »

Geographically speaking, yes Florida is considered a Southern state. However, it is not the Deep South. The Deep South is actually considered to be Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. It's also called the Lower South or the Cotton States. These five states are where the largest concentration of plantiation-type agriculture and slavery were located.

Preaching to the choir here, but as I said...this knowledge has been lost to most if not all of the people I have come in contact with.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2961 on: July 02, 2016, 06:17:52 PM »

Vent: People who think the South is horrible and filled with terrible people.

News flash: EVERYWHERE has jerks.  Maybe actually treat us with respect instead of like we're stupid and you might not get that vibe that we don't like outsiders. Wink

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2962 on: July 02, 2016, 06:21:09 PM »

Vent: People who think the South is horrible and filled with terrible people.

News flash: EVERYWHERE has jerks.  Maybe actually treat us with respect instead of like we're stupid and you might not get that vibe that we don't like outsiders. Wink

Add to that, our accents have no bearing on our intelligence.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2963 on: July 02, 2016, 06:50:13 PM »

Add to that, our accents have no bearing on our intelligence.

I actually exaggerate my accent when negotiating for something. They will just assume I'm ignorant and think they can sucker me. Then I show them exactly how smart I really am (not to brag, but I am a very intelligent person and could join MENSA if I wanted) by tearing their entire "good deal" apart and explaining how it's not a good deal and then proposing an alternate idea that actually IS a good deal for both parties.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2964 on: July 02, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »

I actually exaggerate my accent when negotiating for something. They will just assume I'm ignorant and think they can sucker me. Then I show them exactly how smart I really am (not to brag, but I am a very intelligent person and could join MENSA if I wanted) by tearing their entire "good deal" apart and explaining how it's not a good deal and then proposing an alternate idea that actually IS a good deal for both parties.

One thing about the Southern Accent...you can tear someone apart verbally and have it sound Polite Tongue  I have a similar thing when I explain history  to people.  Imagine the look on a History teacher's (from New York) face when I proceed to correct her on her assertion that The Battle of Hastings was insignificant. 

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #2965 on: July 02, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »

One thing about the Southern Accent...you can tear someone apart verbally and have it sound Polite Tongue  I have a similar thing when I explain history  to people.  Imagine the look on a History teacher's (from New York) face when I proceed to correct her on her assertion that The Battle of Hastings was insignificant.  

Three words that every Texan knows: "Bless your heart."

When said (usually after someone says something that demonstrates a profound lack of understanding), it basically means "I am so sorry that you are a complete mental backbirth with the IQ of a lobotomized starfish."

Of course, if we say "Bless your stupid little heart," it means "You are a complete idiot with neither the desire nor the ability to learn anything new and I'm absolutely through dealing with you, you utter waste of nucleotides. Frankly, I'm surprised you survived birth."

There are degrees of polite trash talking.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #2966 on: July 02, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »

Three words that every Texan knows: "Bless your heart."

When said (usually after someone says something that demonstrates a profound lack of understanding), it basically means "I am so sorry that you are a complete mental backbirth with the IQ of a lobotomized starfish."

Of course, if we say "Bless your stupid little heart," it means "You are a complete idiot with neither the desire nor the ability to learn anything new and I'm absolutely through dealing with you, you utter waste of nucleotides. Frankly, I'm surprised you survived birth."

There are degrees of polite trash talking.

Oh yeah, that's definitely not just a Texan thing.   Cheesy

Also, watch out for "Poor darlin'."   Another variant of "you idiot."   See also:  "He's a good ol' boy."  (A dullard)   

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #2967 on: July 02, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »

It does depend.  Im from MS and had to move to Southern Florida 5 years ago.  Now Florida is considered "The South" but it couldn't be more different.  You should see the looks when I say "Yes Sir/Ma'am, Please, Thank You/Appreciate it etc."  It's like I am speaking another language.

I'm from/and live in MS myself.  yeah, politeness and courtesy are a big big deal to most people here. I'm always amused when "northerners"  think we are trying to get in their business just because we ask them how their day is going. 

The way the media portrays  the South is atrocious.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #2968 on: July 02, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »

No kidding.  The horrible attempts at a Southern accent--like they deliberately don't give a damn about getting it right like they would for another part of the country--are only scratching the surface of why most portrayals of Southerners suck.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2969 on: July 02, 2016, 11:25:53 PM »

No kidding.  The horrible attempts at a Southern accent--like they deliberately don't give a damn about getting it right like they would for another part of the country--are only scratching the surface of why most portrayals of Southerners suck.

The one person I have heard pull of a decent southern accent was Lucy Lawless on Xena once.  But yea, they all use that fake "aristocratic" southern accent.  I remember an Episode of ER that took place in MS.  They showed the town as having no technology, still using Leeches in medicine and of course being hugely racist.  You know how many people I have met from other parts of the country that came to MS for medical treatment....  a lot.

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: