Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288711 times)
Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2030

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3300 on: August 08, 2016, 04:42:17 AM »

Why can't we just have all the sabers we ever wanted? Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #3301 on: August 08, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »

Why can't we just have all the sabers we ever wanted? Tongue

... and within reasonable lead times. Ultrasabers is best at this I must say.  Smiley

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3302 on: August 08, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »

So the other day I vented about how I feel when my tablet starts getting an attitude. Today it starts up, works fine. By the time I get to work it is totally dead (from a 75% charge). It is less than a year old. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry I've never "hated" anything from LG, but the G-pad is a piece shell.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3303 on: August 08, 2016, 05:40:18 PM »

Smokers contaminate every environment they go in.  It's disgusting.  They should only be allowed to smoke in special, isolated chambers that keep everyone else protected from their toxic choices, and have to go through full military decon procedures for chemical and biological agents before being allowed to enter any space used by other people ever.

I HATE using an elevator where a smoker has been.  I hate having to worry that a product I purchase online comes from a smoker's home.  I hate when smokers think they are entitled to foul the environment for MANY YARDS just because they are outside, and that their right to contaminate themselves overrides my right to be free of smoke.  No, you do NOT have the right to inflict your disgusting habits on others.  EVER.  I chose to do the right thing; you do not get to drag me down.

(Am I EXTRA sore about this right now?  Yes, and I darned well have a right to be since I am recovering from a chest infection that makes it hard enough to breathe without coughing as it is.  I don't need POISON on top of that.)

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3304 on: August 08, 2016, 05:55:45 PM »

Smokers contaminate every environment they go in.  It's disgusting.  They should only be allowed to smoke in special, isolated chambers that keep everyone else protected from their toxic choices, and have to go through full military decon procedures for chemical and biological agents before being allowed to enter any space used by other people ever.

I HATE using an elevator where a smoker has been.  I hate having to worry that a product I purchase online comes from a smoker's home.  I hate when smokers think they are entitled to foul the environment for MANY YARDS just because they are outside, and that their right to contaminate themselves overrides my right to be free of smoke.  No, you do NOT have the right to inflict your disgusting habits on others.  EVER.  I chose to do the right thing; you do not get to drag me down.

You are 100% entitled to hold that opinion. However, vocalizing that opinion in that manner is just as socially unacceptable as smoking around people who don't like it. Advocating that a portion of society be segregated from the rest is blatantly wrong, both morally and legally. Furthermore, tobacco use is not a right. It's an addiction. One that is more powerful than alcohol and most illicit drug use, making the forced isolation even worse, as it's something they cannot help.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3305 on: August 08, 2016, 06:27:24 PM »

It isn't even necessary to break the tobacco addiction to stop harming others, though.  Given that there ARE methods to address a craving that do not involve subjecting others' bodies to poison--such as patches or gum, heck, even old-fashioned chewing tobacco--I can't say that my position regarding smoking changes.  Whether or not the endgame of using those alternatives is to break the addiction in the end or to maintain it, once the delivery method stops doing harm to others, then it becomes a private matter.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3306 on: August 08, 2016, 06:35:10 PM »

It's an addiction.

I'm going to disagree with this. The addiction comes as the result of a choice. The lack of exercise of self control. I smoke a pipe. But I only do it once a day, because it gets me out of the office. I don't smoke over the weekends, with the exception of a very rare occasion, because I refuse to let myself develop a nicotine addiction. I smoke for the pure enjoyment of it and not for the fix. That's why I buy higher grade tobacco than what is used in cigarettes. Plus I don't inhale. I still run the risk of any number of cancers, but I'm prepared to accept responsibility for my choices.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #3307 on: August 08, 2016, 06:54:52 PM »

I don't personally even feel the need to argue about the physical addiction, differences in people's susceptibility to it, etc. since there is a means to take in nicotine without smoking.  I don't care what a tobacco chewer does, or if someone has a patch on, or chews nicotine gum...it's contained, and it's truly private business as opposed to something others have to deal with.  Smoking, however, is never a private matter.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #3308 on: August 08, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »

I kind of feel like this:

Put whatever you want to put in your body.  It's YOUR body.  Destroy it or be disgustingly healthy or something in between, if you like.  That's your right.  The caveat is that I don't want to have to be a part of what you do.  If you want to smoke in your house or in your car or in your own personal space where I don't have to walk through a cloud of it?  DO IT.  If the smell of smoke on your clothing doesn't bother you?  That's great!  That's your choice and it's 100% none of my business.

However, it's still legal to smoke in bars here and honestly,  I don't think that's right.  You can't smoke ANYWHERE else here, so why is it still allowed there?  I know I would certainly like to go out with my friends now and then to see a local band, but I don't because I honestly cannot handle breathing in all that smoke.  This is where I have to draw the line.  I haven't been to an indoor show in years because of this. 

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #3309 on: August 08, 2016, 09:34:37 PM »

Gotta join Justicar and Noctis on this one. It's not about isolating smokers. It's about isolating smoke.

It's my responsibility to contain my stuff and manage how it affects others. You don't want me sprinkling a little radioactive material in your soda. It's just a little bit. It would take years of repeated exposure to scientifically demonstrate it would hurt you. It's my right to ingest as much as I want. But you'd expect me to be responsible and reasonable enough to not spread it around in your food, clothes, eyes, mouth and anywhere else.

Discussing the issue as a right to smoke dodges the issue. It's not your right to spread it around. Manage that, and go for it. People just got so used to it, they stopped thinking about the responsibility all along.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3310 on: August 08, 2016, 09:46:30 PM »

I do smoke cigarettes.  An indefensible, stupid habit, that costs hundreds per month, and kills you- literally.

I fully agree that any person who does not want harmful toxin exposure has every right to not be inadvertently exposed to them.

BUT - To tell me - when I'm trying to hide, and be away from others while I kill myself  OUTSIDE!! -, that I'm doing something terribly wrong to others by doing so, while a dump truck drives by, spewing out thick, black smoke clouds, is, IMO, just backwards.

Still, I MUST stop. O_o

Smoking is banned in all indoor venues here.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #3311 on: August 08, 2016, 09:56:01 PM »

I do smoke cigarettes.  An indefensible, stupid habit, that costs hundreds per month, and kills you- literally.

I fully agree that any person who does not want harmful toxin exposure has every right to not be inadvertently exposed to them.

BUT - To tell me - when I'm trying to hide, and be away from others while I kill myself  OUTSIDE!! -, that I'm doing something terribly wrong to others by doing so, while a dump truck drives by, spewing out thick, black smoke clouds, is, IMO, just backwards.

Still, I MUST stop. O_o

Smoking is banned in all indoor venues here.

I think there might be two different version of "outside" when it comes to smokers vs. non-smokers.

I see nothing wrong with you smoking outside away from others.  My problem comes when people stand right outside of the door of a business and smoke so that I have to walk through a cloud of it to go inside.  If you're standing by the corner of the building away from pedestrians?  Have at it!  But if I'm walking behind someone on the sidewalk, I don't appreciate being forced to walk through a constant cloud of smoke just because they're "outside."  Does that make sense?

If you're standing out there by a tree all by yourself?  Hey, man.  Whatever.  Smoke away.  You're not hurting me.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3312 on: August 08, 2016, 10:04:53 PM »

But if I'm walking behind someone on the sidewalk, I don't appreciate being forced to walk through a constant cloud of smoke just because they're "outside."  Does that make sense?
That makes perfect sense Noctis.

I DO fully understand the negative impact from second-hand smoke, and AM the one that walks away from others.  I don't EVER smoke  indoors, even if I'm told it's ok to do so, and not in vehicles unless the driver already is.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3313 on: August 08, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »

I think there might be two different version of "outside" when it comes to smokers vs. non-smokers.

I see nothing wrong with you smoking outside away from others.  My problem comes when people stand right outside of the door of a business and smoke so that I have to walk through a cloud of it to go inside.  If you're standing by the corner of the building away from pedestrians?  Have at it!  But if I'm walking behind someone on the sidewalk, I don't appreciate being forced to walk through a constant cloud of smoke just because they're "outside."  Does that make sense?

If you're standing out there by a tree all by yourself?  Hey, man.  Whatever.  Smoke away.  You're not hurting me.

It really all boils down to common sense when it comes to smoking in areas not designated as Smoking Areas.

1) Don't smoke near public entrances.
2) Don't smoke in crowds unless plenty of others are already doing so.
3) Don't smoke along major foot traffic thoroughfares.
4) If a Designated Smoking Area is within reasonable walking distance (1-2 min), go there.

Now, for the non-smokers who walk past a group of smokers who are enjoying themselves:

1) Don't loudly cough, gag, or complain, especially if you are a reasonable distance away. It makes you sound like a whiner.
2) If you don't like smoke and see a group of smokers together and you can detour around them, do so.
3) For the love of Benjamin Sisko's Q-smacking Pimp Hand, do not walk up to a group of smokers and start lecturing them on the dangers of smoking, ESPECIALLY if they are in a Designated Smoking Area. They know the dangers already. At the very least, you'll get snorts of derision. Some might just blow smoke in your face.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #3314 on: August 08, 2016, 11:25:23 PM »

It really all boils down to common sense when it comes to smoking in areas not designated as Smoking Areas.

1) Don't smoke near public entrances.
2) Don't smoke in crowds unless plenty of others are already doing so.
3) Don't smoke along major foot traffic thoroughfares.
4) If a Designated Smoking Area is within reasonable walking distance (1-2 min), go there.

Now, for the non-smokers who walk past a group of smokers who are enjoying themselves:

1) Don't loudly cough, gag, or complain, especially if you are a reasonable distance away. It makes you sound like a whiner.
2) If you don't like smoke and see a group of smokers together and you can detour around them, do so.
3) For the love of Benjamin Sisko's Q-smacking Pimp Hand, do not walk up to a group of smokers and start lecturing them on the dangers of smoking, ESPECIALLY if they are in a Designated Smoking Area. They know the dangers already. At the very least, you'll get snorts of derision. Some might just blow smoke in your face.

I completely agree with you, Jev.  Don't a rude jackass.  Come on, now.  It's none of your damn business what someone else is doing! 

It's like when I'm at the gym and someone tries to tell me how to lift.  If I tell you I know what I'm doing, leave me alone.  If I hurt myself, that's on me.   I don't need someone to stand there and advise me.  I know perfectly well what I'm doing, even if looks "wrong" to you.  And don't stand there and freakin' snicker and shake your head.  I can throw this 35 pounder at you.  I promise.

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: