Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288565 times)
Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #3780 on: November 09, 2016, 11:59:21 PM »

Kinda like how I just got my car out of the shop and not 30min later some ditz backs into me breaking my tail light? I just can't seem to have a car that works @ 100% Cry

Mine was my chef's knife. It developed rust while I had it put away. Somehow there was water either on the blade or in the blade guard. Ironically, I had it stored to protect it from others ruining it. Grrrrr!!!

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3781 on: November 10, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »

Mine was my chef's knife. It developed rust while I had it put away. Somehow there was water either on the blade or in the blade guard. Ironically, I had it stored to protect it from others ruining it. Grrrrr!!!

As someone who owns a quality chef's knife and know that they aren't cheap, I feel your pain.

I wound up getting one of those magnetic strip holders for my good knives. It's mounted on the wall in my kitchen between the sink and the stove.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3782 on: November 10, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »

As someone who owns a quality chef's knife and know that they aren't cheap, I feel your pain.

I wound up getting one of those magnetic strip holders for my good knives. It's mounted on the wall in my kitchen between the sink and the stove.

Wouldn't a quality knife be made of stainless? Undecided

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #3783 on: November 10, 2016, 02:27:32 PM »

I have a custom made walnut block just for it. I was storing it in a cloth case with a blade guard on it. I store it whenever we host parties, because some of my family members don't pay attention and are murder on their knives, and I don't want to have a "Now you owe me $300" conversation.

We were hosting a couple of parties a week apart, and I just left it there. There must have been some moisture in the guard somehow.

I told my wife last night that a replacement is now at the top of my wish list. She said she'd rather try to get it fixed. I'm not fighting a rust battle for the rest of this thing's life, especially since part of it is on the edge of the knife itself.

Wouldn't a quality knife be made of stainless? Undecided

Yes and no. Some stainless steel knives are very good quality, and others are crap. It all depends on the type of steel, manufacturing process, etc.

Stainless steel has a certain amount of chrome in it to give it that quality. My knife is high carbon 52100 steel, so it is very sensitive to water. It has to be hand washed and dried almost immediately. The result? A grain structure that is 5x smaller than a stainless steel knife. The result is a much sharper knife, because you're able to bring the 2 surfaces that form the edge 5x closer together than you would with stainless steel. It's also a much tougher alloy, so it holds its edge a lot longer.

That being said, stainless steel can and will rust if neglected.

I have a good set of stainless knives, and this one just blows them away. I had my wife, whose knife skills are nowhere near as good as mine, compare it with another high end knife, and even she noticed a difference.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3784 on: November 10, 2016, 03:35:17 PM »

My Globals are stainless and sharp enough to shave the hair off your arm right out of the box. Sharpening them only made them better. I did a drop test when I got my first 8" chef knife, dropping it tip first onto a cardboard box filled with packing peanuts (btw, this is not something you should do). It sank all the way to the handle. I wouldn't even do it now that I've sharpened it because I truly believe it would go completely into the box.

When I was packing everything up to move, I let my aunt pack up the kitchen and told her exactly how sharp the knife was. Apparently she didn't pay attention because she just wrapped the knife in some dish towels and put it into the box with the other utensils.

When we unpacked, the knife had sliced clean through three dish towels and poked a hole through a plastic soup ladle. She was impressed and a little frightened by this.

Out of curiosity, Landen, which knife do you have?

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #3785 on: November 10, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »

Knives are THE tool for cooking Wink

At home, we have knives from Toledo (Spain) and Nogent (France).

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #3786 on: November 10, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »

My Globals are stainless and sharp enough to shave the hair off your arm right out of the box. Sharpening them only made them better. I did a drop test when I got my first 8" chef knife, dropping it tip first onto a cardboard box filled with packing peanuts (btw, this is not something you should do). It sank all the way to the handle. I wouldn't even do it now that I've sharpened it because I truly believe it would go completely into the box.

When I was packing everything up to move, I let my aunt pack up the kitchen and told her exactly how sharp the knife was. Apparently she didn't pay attention because she just wrapped the knife in some dish towels and put it into the box with the other utensils.

When we unpacked, the knife had sliced clean through three dish towels and poked a hole through a plastic soup ladle. She was impressed and a little frightened by this.

Out of curiosity, Landen, which knife do you have?

Globals are good, good knives, but they're too light for my preference.

I have a Zwilling Kramer Euroline 8 inch. I also sharpen it until I can shave my arm hair. I have a 400 grit (which I rarely use, except for other people's dull knives), a 1000 grit, 5000, and 10,000 plus a leather strop. Scary sharp!

Bob Kramer is a master bladesmith and former chef. He's one of only 115 or so master bladesmiths in the world, and he's the only one to exclusively work in kitchen cutlery.

His wait list for knives got so long that it is now a lottery process. You submit your name, and if it's pulled, he makes you a knife with your design preference, size, handle type, etc. Those currently go for about $400- $500 an inch. He also auctions off his finest knives, and those can go for well over $30,000 for one knife.

He licensed his design using his steel to Henckel's, and this was the result. It allows him more freedom to do Damascus style knives using all kinds of stuff, including meteorites.

Here's a little piece on him. At about 1:45 you can see him put his knives to the test.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OCoS81G2CY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OCoS81G2CY</a>

Here he does similar things with the mass produced ones I have. I've successfully done all of these tests except for the coke can or rope.  I haven't tried the coke can, nor do I want to. I also don't have a 1 inch diameter rope to try that test.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZt1ixSIys8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZt1ixSIys8</a>

Now do you see why I'm so pissed at myself?

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3787 on: November 10, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »

Dude... I think I just filled the cup.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #3788 on: November 10, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »

Dude... I think I just filled the cup.

Yeah. When I heard about the release of that knife, I couldn't get one fast enough.

Again, I'm so mad at myself.

Oh, the rope. I haven't done the rope, either. I don't have a 1 inch diameter rope laying around. Need to edit that post.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3789 on: November 10, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »

As much as I love a well designed piece of cutlery, I would never drop that much on one unless it something I was going to use for 35% of my waking hours everyday. That or it promised to prepare an entire meal with just a flick of the wrist. Roll Eyes

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #3790 on: November 10, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »

As much as I love a well designed piece of cutlery, I would never drop that much on one unless it something I was going to use for 35% of my waking hours everyday. That or it promised to prepare an entire meal with just a flick of the wrist. Roll Eyes

I never thought I would, either, until I realized what a difference a quality, sharp knife makes. As long as it doesn't rust, that knife should outlast me.

I do most of the cooking in my house, and I missed spending time with my sons, so I decided to get really good with a knofe. I made a beef and broccoli stir fry last night. I had cut up three heads of broccoli, sliced a pound and a half of sirloin cut into 2 inch squares a half inch thick, minced 4 cloves of garlic, and sliced a half a bag of green onions all before the water to blanch the broccoli was boiling.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #3791 on: November 10, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »

Really cool videos Landen! +1 for the share.

---- 

I currently don't like wind.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #3792 on: November 10, 2016, 11:42:16 PM »

Really cool videos Landen! +1 for the share.

You're welcome. The guy's amazing. A couple of years ago, I went to a conference in Seattle, which is about an hour from his shop. I gave strong consideration to renting a car, skipping a day of the conference, and spending the day at his shop. I just couldn't convince myself it was the best use of my school's money that was used to send me there.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #3793 on: November 11, 2016, 12:29:12 AM »

You're welcome. The guy's amazing. A couple of years ago, I went to a conference in Seattle, which is about an hour from his shop. I gave strong consideration to renting a car, skipping a day of the conference, and spending the day at his shop. I just couldn't convince myself it was the best use of my school's money that was used to send me there.

That would have been really cool for you if you could have went! Maybe another time.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #3794 on: November 15, 2016, 06:27:36 PM »

Well I just found out that I fractured my wrist.  I picked up a large rock to hold down a large tent flap and felt a pop, when I tried to drop what I was holding I ended up crushing my wrist between the rock and the ground.  I really hate being broken... This is the first broken bone in my 39 years of life.....UGH!!!

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: