Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288535 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #4515 on: February 26, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »

I know you don't try to be perfect (Wink), but it's news to me that you do it on purpose.
Didn't realise I was supposed to explain the reasons behind all my posts. But if it helps, for future reference, keep in mind this quote:

"It has always seemed to me that so long as your produce your dramatic effect, accuracy of detail matters little. I have never striven for it and have made some bad mistakes in consequence. What matter if I hold my readers?"

- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Creator of Sherlock Holmes)

Bonus fact - As well as being a doctor and then an author, while living in Southsea he played as goalkeeper for Portsmouth Association Football Club.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #4516 on: February 26, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »

You've made me do a lot of explaining reasons.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #4517 on: February 26, 2017, 05:20:07 PM »

And stupid.  Don't forget having to allow for just plain stupid.

Because the best answer is usually, "Because people are stupid."

because this is just an online forum, not an official document or a university essay, so I purposely miss periods, don't use capitals and throw in the occasional typo. not striving for 100% accuracy. because

I normally don't comment on these types of posts but this one I just had to so

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #4518 on: February 26, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »

"It has always seemed to me that so long as your produce your dramatic effect, accuracy of detail matters little. I have never striven for it and have made some bad mistakes in consequence. What matter if I hold my readers?"

- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Creator of Sherlock Holmes)

That is kind of a dangerous idea though.  It can (and has) created many falsehoods that people take as fact.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #4519 on: February 26, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »

That is kind of a dangerous idea though.  It can (and has) created many falsehoods that people take as fact.

Which is why many true stories are fully of inaccuracies. I once read someine, I think it was an author or movie director, say something like, "Never let facts get in the way of a good story."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4520 on: February 26, 2017, 06:08:09 PM »

I take your point, be he was talking about his Sherlock Holmes stories. Works of fiction, not journalism.

Which is why many true stories are fully of inaccuracies. I once read someine, I think it was an author or movie director, say something like, "Never let facts get in the way of a good story."
Nothing wrong with that in storytelling and works of fiction. Journalists should have different rules they work with. But this topic can very easily sway in dangerous territory that may go against forum rules, so I'm extracting myself from it now very carefully.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #4521 on: February 26, 2017, 06:18:54 PM »

I take your point, be he was talking about his Sherlock Holmes stories. Works of fiction, not journalism.
Nothing wrong with that in storytelling and works of fiction. Journalists should have different rules they work with. But this topic can very easily sway in dangerous territory that may go against forum rules, so I'm extracting myself from it now very carefully.

I agree that journalism and fiction should have different rules.

I guess I should clarify my statement. The person who was quoted was answering a question on inaccuracies he made while doing something based on real events, people, places, etc. It wasn't a documentary or a biography, but it did mislead the audience quite a bit. It's those kinds of liberties that can be dangerous.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4522 on: February 26, 2017, 06:22:34 PM »

I agree that journalism and fiction should have different rules.

I guess I should clarify my statement. The person who was quoted was answering a question on inaccuracies he made while doing something based on real events, people, places, etc. It wasn't a documentary or a biography, but it did mislead the audience quite a bit. It's those kinds of liberties that can be dangerous.
You mean like Michael Bay and Pearl Harbour. (And Armageddon).

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4523 on: February 26, 2017, 07:03:49 PM »

You mean like Michael Bay and Pearl Harbour. (And Armageddon).

Exactly.  This does open up a very interesting question, If an Author purposefully gives incorrect info to make it fit into their story and readers take it as fact...do you blame the author or the readers?

Historical inaccuracies are a big pet peeve of mine.  While I can watch a show like Vikings and enjoy it, it irks me to no end that people actually think that is accurate then spread that misinformation...don't get me started on Assassins Creed..:p

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4524 on: February 26, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »

Exactly.  This does open up a very interesting question, If an Author purposefully gives incorrect info to make it fit into their story and readers take it as fact...do you blame the author or the readers?

Historical inaccuracies are a big pet peeve of mine.  While I can watch a show like Vikings and enjoy it, it irks me to no end that people actually think that is accurate then spread that misinformation...don't get me started on Assassins Creed..:p
If the "product' is supposed to be real and reporting fact, then I agree it should be accurate. However, if it's purely a work of fiction, it shouldn't really matter as long as the story being told is enjoyable. I love Assassin Creed. I know it's not historically accurate, but that's not why I play the games. In fact, things that happen in the game has made me go and research the real history of certain characters and events.

If some people mistake fictional works based on real events as "truth" that is more a problem with them than the work itself. Is Braveheart any less a brilliant movie because the French queen is an adult, while in real life she was actually 14 years old at the time the story happened? No.

Fortunately I am able to separate fact and fiction and enjoy fiction for what it is. Some people struggle with that though, which is a shame, but (personally) I don't view it as something to get irked over. I got into a heated exchange with a friend over 300. He was unhappy by all the inaccuracies in the movie. I pointed out it was a movie adaptation of a comic, whose story was loosely based on the 1962 movie The 300 Spartans which itself was loosely based on the real historical battle. I also pointed out that the movie and comic were not meant to be accurate representations of the real battle. If you want historical accuracy there are lots of documentaries and information on the interwebs. (Plus, as we know, history is written by the victor, so who is to say what is actually accurate? But that's a discussion for another time on another thread).

But, it's all subjective.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4525 on: February 26, 2017, 07:24:24 PM »

If the "product' is supposed to be real and reporting fact, then I agree it should be accurate. However, if it's purely a work of fiction, it shouldn't really matter as long as the story being told is enjoyable. I love Assassin Creed. I know it's not historically accurate, but that's not why I play the games. In fact, things that happen in the game has made me go and research the real history of certain characters and events.

If some people mistake fictional works based on real events as "truth" that is more a problem with them than the work itself. Is Braveheart any less a brilliant movie because the French queen is an adult, while in real life she was actually 14 years old at the time the story happened? No.

Fortunately I am able to separate fact and fiction and enjoy fiction for what it is. Some people struggle with that though, which is a shame, but (personally) I don't view it as something to get irked over. I got into a heated exchange with a friend over 300. He was unhappy by all the inaccuracies in the movie. I pointed out it was a movie adaptation of a comic, whose story was loosely based on the 1962 movie The 300 Spartans which itself was loosely based on the real historical battle. I also pointed out that the movie and comic were not meant to be accurate representations of the real battle. If you want historical accuracy there are lots of documentaries and information on the interwebs. (Plus, as we know, history is written by the victor, so who is to say what is actually accurate? But that's a discussion for another time on another thread).

But, it's all subjective.

It only irks me in the fact that people spread the misinformation and others take it as fact as well.   As a HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) Enthusiast this becomes almost a source of bitterness in that SO many people have no clue about the facts...which isn't bad in itself.  Ignorance is something we can all claim but the refusal to listen is the source of contention.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4526 on: February 26, 2017, 07:28:40 PM »

It only irks me in the fact that people spread the misinformation and others take it as fact as well.   As a HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) Enthusiast this becomes almost a source of bitterness in that SO many people have no clue about the facts...which isn't bad in itself.  Ignorance is something we can all claim but the refusal to listen is the source of contention.
For those who refuse to listen, just ignore them. They shall meet a dire a grisly end eventually.

For those who are willing to learn, let them join your clan, swelling your ranks until the day of reckoning is upon us.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #4527 on: February 26, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »

Braveheart. Good example.

People believe that William Wallace and a princess conceived a child.

Things like that. And I fault both the author/writer/director as well as the audience. The writers should not claim it's a true story and include blatant false information, and the audience should be more critical of what they're seeing. "That doesn't make any sense. I should probably check that."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4528 on: February 26, 2017, 09:04:39 PM »

Braveheart. Good example.

People believe that William Wallace and a princess conceived a child.

Things like that. And I fault both the author/writer/director as well as the audience. The writers should not claim it's a true story and include blatant false information, and the audience should be more critical of what they're seeing. "That doesn't make any sense. I should probably check that."
I think "Based on a true story" needs more definition and clarification.

But, particularly in this day and age, where the interweb literally gives you access to the sum total of all the information in human history, ignorance is no excuse. However, people should also be able to make the distinction between "entertainment" and "fact".

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4529 on: February 26, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »

I think "Based on a true story" needs more definition and clarification.

But, particularly in this day and age, where the interweb literally gives you access to the sum total of all the information in human history, ignorance is no excuse. However, people should also be able to make the distinction between "entertainment" and "fact".

That is another issue.  We have a freedom of knowledge distribution unheard of in Human history.  But that means the ignorant can also spread info.  Then there is the business side of it.   Won't name the products but there was a particular entertainment that gave a situation from history that (with the info we have) never happened.  Of course it was done simply to be entertaining...BUT.... because people liked it, there were all of a sudden books in the History section about the subject as if it was fact..using "pseudo-History" as I have heard it called.  Those books were made simply because the subject was Popular (even if it was false) and presented as fact.  So the ignorant now have back up for their ignorance.

Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: