Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288454 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4605 on: March 02, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »

Colonel Clumsy is the metric equivalent of Captain Murphy.
Yeah. C'mon, Knox. We deal in Freedom Units.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #4606 on: March 02, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »

Yeah. C'mon, Knox. We deal in Freedom Units.
And that is why your lightbulbs break and ours don't.  Tongue

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4607 on: March 02, 2017, 06:05:10 PM »

And that is why your lightbulbs break and ours don't.  Tongue
No. Light bulbs break because the universe generally hates us and wants us to return to the darkness.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4608 on: March 02, 2017, 06:06:46 PM »

No. Light bulbs break because the universe generally hates us and wants us to return to the darkness.
I'm fine with that. All the best things happen at night in the darkness.....

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4609 on: March 02, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »

I'm fine with that. All the best things happen at night in the darkness.....
Thus another fine argument as to why the Jedi are delusional idiots about the darkness being a bad thing.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4610 on: March 02, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »

Thus another fine argument as to why the Jedi are delusional idiots about the darkness being a bad thing.
Yeah baby!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4611 on: March 02, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »

As someone who has worked in the charity sector for the past 7 years (Cancer Research, Sue Ryder, MacMillan and Mind)  I can tell you that as a whole, the nature of charitable organisations has changed considerably in recent years. They have had to, in response to a number of external developments, such as change of policy at a Government level, the banking crisis that affected the global economy and the prevalence of technology amongst a whole host of other things.

Most charities are now adopting business style models and using that as a means to generate income. On the whole (and obviously I cannot speak for every charity out there0 60% of funds raised for charities goes towards funding research/helping the target demographic (whether that be children, the homeless, those suffering from an illness etc). The remaining 40% is used in advertising and marketing, developing new sustainable fundraising strategies overheads, wages etc. There will always be people who disagree that charities should pay their staff, however, as an industry, if charities want to survive (and that is a real threat - charities ceasing to exist because they cannot raise enough money and/or do not have enough people getting involved) they have to pay for staff.

There are many sections to most charities too. The general public are usually only aware of the certain aspects: charity shops, collection tins, street fundraisers, leaflets, tv adverts. However, behind the scenes some of the bigger charities have hundreds of staff members dedicated to ensure that the amount of income they receive stays at the same level and hopefully also increases, year on year. This is particularly tricky as charities do not produce a tangible product, goods or service that the public can buy. Rules exist that if charities want to continue to enjoy the discounted overhead rates and incentives they receive they cannot produce and sell goods in the same way a Walmart does (just using Walmart as an example. First American company that came into my head).

Please remember, that charities are run on donations. And yet they need to be run like a business.

When I worked for Cancer Research UK, it was estimated that a good Community Fundraising Executive earning £24,000 a year could help generate £250,000 in donations. When I was there, as an organisation raised over £650 million a year. 60% goes directly to fund research into developing cures for the 200 types of cancer that exist. Thanks to that research, 2 in every 4 patients now survive. But they are not satisfied with that. Their current aim is to make that 3 in 4 patients, hence the need for continued income, research and expenditure.

There are still some areas on charitable work that relies on volunteers, most notably charity shops. But the need to use some of the money receive to pay for staff, overheads etc is just the way of the world.

Lastly, if you really are thinking about donating to a charity and want to make sure you know where you're money is going, every charity is legally required to release their financial annual report that shows (in detail) all sources of income and all methods of expenditure. These reports can usually be downloaded free from their website or you can contact the charity directly to request one be sent to you.

As you can tell, I am quite used to the attitude of some people towards donating to a charity. I had to deal with such questions regularly. But let me remind you that if everyone starts to think the way you guys mentioned, then ALL charities will eventually cease to exist and the good work they do (in some cases more than the Government) will disappear.

I'm okay with what you described, that's fine. I was more referring to the minority of charities that have higher overhead costs than the actual donations. I've heard of some where $.25 of every $1 actually goes to the cause, and $.75 goes elsewhere. That's wrong.

As I said, if my hands are a legitimate mess or genuinely contaminated then yes. But I'm not going to run to the sink because I had a wet sneeze.

Heed the words of Bilbo: "It's a dangerous business, walking out your front door..."

Ew, that is actually disgusting. You sneeze in your hand and don't wash it? If I see you sneeze and then proceed to not wash the snot off and touch stuff I WILL call you out on it.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4612 on: March 02, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »

I'm okay with what you described, that's fine. I was more referring to the minority of charities that have higher overhead costs than the actual donations. I've heard of some where $.25 of every $1 actually goes to the cause, and $.75 goes elsewhere. That's wrong.

The charity industry is hard to survive in, especially for smaller charities. In the UK there are currently 187,000 registered charities! They all aspire to have more income to cover their expenses so that more money can go to the cause, and in a perfect world it would work out that way. This is why, on the odd occasion I donate to charities, I tend to give to smaller charities. To help them out more.

In some parts of the UK, charitable organisations are the only ones providing assistance to the elderly, mentally ill and homeless. Local councils do nothing (for various reasons). So, even if only a quarter of my donation goes towards helping, it still more than what people in officialdom are doing.

It's not a perfect system, but as long as some of the money is going to the cause it's still better than none at all.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4613 on: March 02, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »

Ew, that is actually disgusting. You sneeze in your hand and don't wash it? If I see you sneeze and then proceed to not wash the snot off and touch stuff I WILL call you out on it.
You're forgetting about the high probability that by the time I come into contact with anything else, my hand will have dried, making transfer less likely. Didn't you ever see the Mythbusters about the 5-second rule? Also, a sneeze can be generated by any number of irritants. I had a friend who sneezed twice, every morning, when he first sees the sun. So he gets some spittle on his hands. Big whoop. If what was in his mouth wasn't already killing him, it certainly won't have any effect on me.

The sad truth is, if most people who consider themselves moderately "clean" only knew what was lurking on everything they come in contact with, they would seriously lose their $#!%. Humans are filthy and disgusting not by choice. They just are.

Ever wonder why shoes stink? Sweat and dead foot skin are breaking down in a bacterial stew. Do you buy a new pair or disinfect your shoes on a daily basis? Highly unlikely. You just put your feet in them and don't think about it.

The truth is like Jev said. If you wipe out everything, then your body can't get stronger fighting off the wimpy stuff, and is left vulnerable when something really nasty comes a calling.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #4614 on: March 02, 2017, 07:54:12 PM »

You're forgetting about the high probability that by the time I come into contact with anything else, my hand will have dried, making transfer less likely. Didn't you ever see the Mythbusters about the 5-second rule? Also, a sneeze can be generated by any number of irritants. I had a friend who sneezed twice, every morning, when he first sees the sun. So he gets some spittle on his hands. Big whoop. If what was in his mouth wasn't already killing him, it certainly won't have any effect on me.

The sad truth is, if most people who consider themselves moderately "clean" only knew what was lurking on everything they come in contact with, they would seriously lose their $#!%. Humans are filthy and disgusting not by choice. They just are.

Ever wonder why shoes stink? Sweat and dead foot skin are breaking down in a bacterial stew. Do you buy a new pair or disinfect your shoes on a daily basis? Highly unlikely. You just put your feet in them and don't think about it.

The truth is like Jev said. If you wipe out everything, then your body can't get stronger fighting off the wimpy stuff, and is left vulnerable when something really nasty comes a calling.

Yea..but there is a difference between being a germaphobe and expecting people to wash their hands after they effectively expunge body secretions into their hands....just wash your hands...what are ya 3.... :p

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4615 on: March 02, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »

Yea..but there is a difference between being a germaphobe and expecting people to wash their hands after they effectively expunge body secretions into their hands....just wash your hands...what are ya 3.... :p
I'll wash them when they need to be washed.

Sig by For Tyeth

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4616 on: March 02, 2017, 09:47:58 PM »

Thank you, Darth Tepes. Seriously, I don't expect people to wash their hands constantly. But it's common courtesy to do so after sneezing or coughing into them. I don't care if you're not sick, I don't particularly want your snot and saliva coming into contact with objects I may need to touch. Also, wash after you go to the bathroom, I don't care whether or not "you got anything on them" WASH. Beyond those three things, I really don't care how often you wash.

I'll wash them when they need to be washed.

And we're telling you, they need to be washed....

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4617 on: March 02, 2017, 10:08:21 PM »

If you know this for a fact, then you seriously need to get a life.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4618 on: March 02, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »

If you know this for a fact, then you seriously need to get a life.

Now, now. Surely free will means that everyone should be allowed to do their own thing according to their own values, even if that goes against our own personal code?

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #4619 on: March 02, 2017, 11:03:38 PM »

I'm not a germaphobe, but I wash my hands for everything. If the dog licks my hand, oh hell no! Handles at the stores, bathrooms, yuck! I've seen men piss them just go walk out. Feck no! Wash your hands man! In your own house, whatever..But the bacteria that flies in public? *shudders* picking their noses and ears later too! Some sick fecks out there!

And about donations, one charity I usually always give to is St. Jude's children's hospital. That's as 100% as 100% gets.

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: