Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288534 times)
Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #6765 on: May 12, 2018, 02:50:08 AM »

That's what straws are for.

Thanks. noodles, chicken and carrots don't exactly flow through straws.

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #6766 on: May 12, 2018, 02:55:27 AM »

Thanks. noodles, chicken and carrots don't exactly flow through straws.

There is a reason blenders have a puree setting. (I kid)

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #6767 on: May 12, 2018, 02:59:28 AM »

There is a reason blenders have a puree setting. (I kid)

You kid, yet its not a terrible idea.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #6768 on: May 12, 2018, 03:15:52 AM »

You kid, yet its not a terrible idea.

How do you think people with their jaws wired shut eat...  

My own vent. Really at a breaking point with my job...basically I've had it with making everyone elses job easier by making mine harder...because well, that's just how I am.  But, due to circumstances, I am stuck there. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #6769 on: May 12, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »

Had an "All Hands" meeting at work this morning to discuss shrink and "acceptable loss". Featuring District lead, H. R. rep., and Regional Loss Prevention. Three people got called out in front of the entire team to discuss why they felt it was okay for them to steal from the company, one of whom was our GM, and another was our "inventory control lead" (Basically a stockist), whom had made off with a little over a thousand dollars worth of merchandise. What does this mean for me? Well guess who got picked to be interim GM until they can find someone else. . . while "under investigation for potential accessory or facilitation". Basically I am in charge with district management looking over my shoulder and digging through my file and interviewing a lot of people who know me (Luckily they decided to start by asking to talk to people in my phone contacts and Bert is right at the top.).

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6770 on: May 12, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »

Still no job. Why are you calling asking for me by my birth name, when the application has a "preferred name" box, in which I clearly typed "Brooke," the name I prefer to go by which is wildly different from my legal, soon to be, dead name? It's not like this is the difference between "Jon" and "Jonathan" or "Sam" and "Samantha" or "Samuel," where they can be used interchangeably. If you call asking for "Legal Name" I'm not going to return your call. That shows me you have little respect for me already, I do not want to work for you.

Also, I applied at a location near me, why am I getting calls from locations an hour away(or more) looking to set up interviews? What makes you think I want to travel that far for a part time retail job?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #6771 on: May 13, 2018, 12:15:38 AM »

Still no job. Why are you calling asking for me by my birth name, when the application has a "preferred name" box, in which I clearly typed "Brooke," the name I prefer to go by which is wildly different from my legal, soon to be, dead name? It's not like this is the difference between "Jon" and "Jonathan" or "Sam" and "Samantha" or "Samuel," where they can be used interchangeably. If you call asking for "Legal Name" I'm not going to return your call. That shows me you have little respect for me already, I do not want to work for you.

Also, I applied at a location near me, why am I getting calls from locations an hour away(or more) looking to set up interviews? What makes you think I want to travel that far for a part time retail job?
Uh maybe they need your legal name for tax purposes. You probably had a job in your back pocket and threw it away.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6772 on: May 13, 2018, 01:07:04 AM »

Uh maybe they need your legal name for tax purposes. You probably had a job in your back pocket and threw it away.

They do need my legal name, for tax and security purposes. But the preferred name box is there for a reason....so they know what name you prefer to be called. Either they're ignoring it, which is unlikely, as it'e RIGHT THERE under my legal name, or they don't care. It's very disrespectful, and really sours me on working for you. Especially since I think I have a good idea of WHY you used my legal name when you've been told otherwise...

And like I said before, they were all too far to bother. These aren't jobs that pay well enough to where I could commute for a few months and move there. I'd be spending all my money(possibly even more than I make) on gas just to get there.

(Sig by me!)

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #6773 on: May 13, 2018, 01:41:56 AM »

They do need my legal name, for tax and security purposes. But the preferred name box is there for a reason....so they know what name you prefer to be called. Either they're ignoring it, which is unlikely, as it'e RIGHT THERE under my legal name, or they don't care. It's very disrespectful, and really sours me on working for you. Especially since I think I have a good idea of WHY you used my legal name when you've been told otherwise...

And like I said before, they were all too far to bother. These aren't jobs that pay well enough to where I could commute for a few months and move there. I'd be spending all my money(possibly even more than I make) on gas just to get there.

I agree Brooke. That is disrespectful. I hope you have better luck getting a job with people that can read and have some respect.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #6774 on: May 13, 2018, 02:47:00 AM »

I'm going to share a bit of info from my experience in this area.  I can't of course speak for all companies, just the ones I've been with.   

1.) the person calling you is usually told to call you by being given, not  your application, but a list with a name and a number. 

2.) Just because its YOUR preferred name doesn't mean everyone calls you by that.  When asking to speak to you they will always ask for by your legal name.  You may want to be called Brooke but they don't know if you are the one who's going to answer.   This actually happened to me.   I called an applicant whose gave us the name "Robin" (obviously not what it was..just for example).  When I called and asked to speak to Robin I was told no Robin lived there.  I apologized and went to the next applicant.  Well, a day later we get a call from Robin asking about the status of his application.  When he was told the number he gave us was not correct he insisted it was.  After telling him a woman answered and said no Robin lived there..he was silent.  Turns out Robin is the name all his friends call him by and his "preferred" name..but it isn't his legal name nor a name his mother calls him...which is who answered.

Basically, don't automatically assume disrespect or discrimination.  It may just be bureaucratic policy or a misconception.  Next time this happens might i suggest affirming that it is you speaking but following it up with "But, please.  I prefer Brooke."  If they refuse then to address you as such, then your assured of their mindset.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6775 on: May 13, 2018, 03:04:17 AM »

I'm going to share a bit of info from my experience in this area.  I can't of course speak for all companies, just the ones I've been with.   

1.) the person calling you is usually told to call you by being given, not  your application, but a list with a name and a number. 

2.) Just because its YOUR preferred name doesn't mean everyone calls you by that.  When asking to speak to you they will always ask for by your legal name.  You may want to be called Brooke but they don't know if you are the one who's going to answer.   This actually happened to me.   I called an applicant whose gave us the name "Robin" (obviously not what it was..just for example).  When I called and asked to speak to Robin I was told no Robin lived there.  I apologized and went to the next applicant.  Well, a day later we get a call from Robin asking about the status of his application.  When he was told the number he gave us was not correct he insisted it was.  After telling him a woman answered and said no Robin lived there..he was silent.  Turns out Robin is the name all his friends call him by and his "preferred" name..but it isn't his legal name nor a name his mother calls him...which is who answered.

Basically, don't automatically assume disrespect or discrimination.  It may just be bureaucratic policy or a misconception.  Next time this happens might i suggest affirming that it is you speaking but following it up with "But, please.  I prefer Brooke."  If they refuse then to address you as such, then your assured of their mindset.

Noted, and thank you for the insight. Luckily none of these were jobs I was going to accept, due to the wage not being there for said commute.

I applied at CVS, and the location near me that I applied at isn't hiring right now, but I keep getting calls from other locations in the greater area, all of which are located just about an hour away from me. Not really a well enough paying job to justify commuting that far, I'd be spending all my money on gas. Really doesn't pay.

(Sig by me!)

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #6776 on: May 13, 2018, 03:11:17 AM »

Noted, and thank you for the insight. Luckily none of these were jobs I was going to accept, due to the wage not being there for said commute.

I applied at CVS, and the location near me that I applied at isn't hiring right now, but I keep getting calls from other locations in the greater area, all of which are located just about an hour away from me. Not really a well enough paying job to justify commuting that far, I'd be spending all my money on gas. Really doesn't pay.

Commute vs cost is an issue I am all to versed in.  I hope you find something soon.

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #6777 on: May 13, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »

Been there, done that...
When I was working as an electrician, I had a job doing a power plant refit for over a year.  It was 70 miles away from home, but out in the middle of nowhere.  Commute time was an average of 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on farming seasons and traffic patterns (5000+ trades people at the peak of the job, passing through towns with populations of around 2000 or less twice a day.) At the time I had a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L 4 cyl engine that averaged around 16-18 mpg and had a roughly 12 gallon fuel tank.  On a good day I was running about 200 miles per tank of gas, usually less due to traffic.  Gas was pushing $4.00+ per gallon at the time...

70 miles to work, 70 miles home - again, middle of nowhere, so no where to stay - 140 miles per day...
range on a tank - under 200 miles...
price of gas - $4.00 per gallon
tank size - 12 gallons

$50 per day in fuel ($48)
working 6 days a week - $300 per week in gas

Granted, thanks to working the 6 day weeks, I was making killer overtime and bringing home $1000 per week, but when a third of it vanishes into your gas tank, it hurts.

I miss the jobs at time, definitely miss the pay and benefits, but I'm much happier with a steady job, working 40 hours, 10 minutes from home... even though it now takes me 2 weeks to make that same $1000.

the Electrician thing was just too spotty at times, work 3 months, off for 6 depending on construction in your area, work 2 weeks, sit for 3 months... hard to make bills if you don't know you'll be working from day to day.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6778 on: May 13, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »

Been there, done that...
When I was working as an electrician, I had a job doing a power plant refit for over a year.  It was 70 miles away from home, but out in the middle of nowhere.  Commute time was an average of 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on farming seasons and traffic patterns (5000+ trades people at the peak of the job, passing through towns with populations of around 2000 or less twice a day.) At the time I had a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L 4 cyl engine that averaged around 16-18 mpg and had a roughly 12 gallon fuel tank.  On a good day I was running about 200 miles per tank of gas, usually less due to traffic.  Gas was pushing $4.00+ per gallon at the time...

70 miles to work, 70 miles home - again, middle of nowhere, so no where to stay - 140 miles per day...
range on a tank - under 200 miles...
price of gas - $4.00 per gallon
tank size - 12 gallons

$50 per day in fuel ($48)
working 6 days a week - $300 per week in gas

Granted, thanks to working the 6 day weeks, I was making killer overtime and bringing home $1000 per week, but when a third of it vanishes into your gas tank, it hurts.

I miss the jobs at time, definitely miss the pay and benefits, but I'm much happier with a steady job, working 40 hours, 10 minutes from home... even though it now takes me 2 weeks to make that same $1000.

the Electrician thing was just too spotty at times, work 3 months, off for 6 depending on construction in your area, work 2 weeks, sit for 3 months... hard to make bills if you don't know you'll be working from day to day.

Right now I'm driving my father's car, a big ridiculous Buick. Not great on fuel, but a bit better than the car they gave me, a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica(or as I like to call it, Chrysler Gas Guzzler). Not good to begin with, but considering the age, even worse than the factory numbers(I swear most times I get about 8 MPG in that boat). And also it blew a strut and the strut tower poked a hole in the hood...hence the ridiculous Buick.

I'm working on trading my Subaru, which does not run, to a mechanic friend for an Audi that does. A 1997 A4 2.8 Quattro Wagon....a little bit better but still not the most fuel efficient vehicle out there. It does however beat trying to find something half decent(read, runs properly and will get me from A to B in one piece), for the $700 the same friend is willing to give me for the Subaru. He gave "Option A($700) or Option B(the Audi). Like my dad agreed, it's better to have a car that runs, than one that doesn't. I'm sure I could find an older Hyundai, Toyota, or Honda in running condition for that money, but not quickly or easily. Most of what I find in that range either doesn't run at all "runs...technically" but needs twice as much or more in repairs to be an effective daily driver, or is completely on it's last legs "drive this for a month before it finally falls apart on the highway." I figure it's worth it to take the Audi and save myself the headache.

(Sig by me!)

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #6779 on: May 13, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »

Looks like I am going to be offered a job that will change my commute from 30 miles (45 minutes) to 80 miles (1 hr 15 minutes) and we are talking one way here, round trip is double of course; not looking forward to the big increase in commute, hopeful they will allow me to work from home at least 1 day of the week to offset.  It all depends on the size of the pay bump as to whether I will accept.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: