Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1288440 times)
Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8235 on: July 17, 2020, 01:49:42 AM »

I wish that patience and compassion were at least half as contagious as stupidity is.

Common sense, stopped being common, sometime in the eighties I believe.

If you mean the 0080s, I’d agree with you.  In the 1980s, it was already rare.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8236 on: July 17, 2020, 02:32:46 PM »

I think the Great Mullet, Ron Shirley (of Lizard Lick Towing tv fame) said "It's amazing! They can treat cancer but there ain't no cure for stupidity!"
The Greater RON, Mr. White said it better: "You can't fix stupid."

Stupidity is timeless.
No doubt that stupidity is not a new concept, but one would hope that it was a recessive gene, like heterochromia; something that rarely ever shows up.

That's your answer...at least a big part of it I believe.   Now I am not a Luddite but advancements in technology make life easier and more entertaining...which is good....... and bad.  It breeds laziness in both mind and body.
After much good sleep, I have deduced that technology is not to blame. I blame societies tolerance. This "No Child Left Behind" bull$#!%. I was raised in the 80's, and spent most of my education in the 90's. My single greatest fear back then was being left behind; it was the ultimate sin. It pushed me to excel, to be more than good enough so that I had 0 chance of that guy that didn't make the cut. But nowadays there's participation trophies for everyone. "You don't have to work, you don't even have to try. If you succeed, it's because you stood on someone else's efforts, and if don't succeed, well...you tried....or didn't. Whatever. Have an undeserved reward."

I wish that patience and compassion were at least half as contagious as stupidity is.
AMEN

Common sense, stopped being common, sometime in the eighties I believe.
Common sense is actually a myth. It is predicated on common knowledge or common frame of reference. For instance, I'm not a pilot. I don't know if it's "common sense" to deploy flaps before landing gear. What little I know of aerodynamics through physics courses would suggest that deploying flaps first would reduce air speed sufficiently to reduce the drag on the landing struts so they don't get ripped off. But I don't know. For someone not versed in physics, it would be even more likely to not be "common sense".

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #8237 on: July 17, 2020, 03:33:35 PM »

common sense in keeping with current time frame and of at least older then 6. keep hand out of flame, dont look down the barrel of a loaded gun and dont play in the middle of a busy highway, common sense will not carry you thru more technical aspect such as flying or performing surgery

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8238 on: July 17, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »

common sense in keeping with current time frame and of at least older then 6. keep hand out of flame, dont look down the barrel of a loaded gun and dont play in the middle of a busy highway, common sense will not carry you thru more technical aspect such as flying or performing surgery

Note: all guns are loaded, all the time.  Safety Rule #1.

Exception: If you’re depending on it being loaded to protect yourself, it might not be loaded; in this case verify that it’s loaded.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8239 on: July 17, 2020, 05:33:23 PM »

But see? This is my point. To those unaccustomed to firearm operation, checking to see if the weapon is loaded is not on the radar of "things to do when looking at a cool thing." For those that know, it is COMMON SENSE to 1) remove the clip, if applicable, 2) check that the chamber is clear, and safety is on, if applicable, 3) proceed to inspect the cool thing.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #8240 on: July 17, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »

remove the clip

Got to be that guy....Magazine. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8241 on: July 17, 2020, 07:04:28 PM »

Got to be that guy....Magazine. 
FINE..... MAG. I like reduction syllables.

Sig by For Tyeth

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #8242 on: July 17, 2020, 07:29:22 PM »

But see? This is my point. To those unaccustomed to firearm operation, checking to see if the weapon is loaded is not on the radar of "things to do when looking at a cool thing." For those that know, it is COMMON SENSE to 1) remove the clip, if applicable, 2) check that the chamber is clear, and safety is on, if applicable, 3) proceed to inspect the cool thing.

That's not what common sense is.

Common Sense -
noun
sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.

Basically things that you should know without having to be explicitly taught. Like playing in traffic will likely get you injured.

Interestingly "don't touch something if it's hot" is not common sense, as you have no way of knowing without either someone telling you, or one bad experience to teach you (ideally someone else's bad experience), that it's bad.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8243 on: July 17, 2020, 08:01:29 PM »

Interestingly "don't touch something if it's hot" is not common sense, as you have no way of knowing without either someone telling you, or one bad experience to teach you (ideally someone else's bad experience), that it's bad.
See? Common isn't so "common'.

Sig by For Tyeth

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #8244 on: July 17, 2020, 11:44:38 PM »

My 13yo son just got pissed at a video game and took out his rage on the 32" red day blade I put in his DSI saber.
Bent it right in half.
I couldn't salvage it. Luckily I have a 28" thick walled red blade to replace it, but it doesn't look as cool or bright as the 32" thin walled blade with the enhanced red pointed tip.

He's now at the verge of tears because I made him pay $20 out of his allowance for ruining the blade.
I made sure he knows I'm not even going to buy a new one but he has to learn that when you break things, you may have to pay for them.

I'm sad because even though it's "his" saber, it's the only 'just' red saber in our total collection and it looked wicked cool with that pointed tip. TCSS doesn't make enhanced red tips for thick walled blades, only thin.

But maybe there's a way to cut it so it fits anyway?

-

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #8245 on: July 18, 2020, 12:35:31 AM »

My 13yo son just got pissed at a video game and took out his rage on the 32" red day blade I put in his DSI saber.
Bent it right in half.
I couldn't salvage it. Luckily I have a 28" thick walled red blade to replace it, but it doesn't look as cool or bright as the 32" thin walled blade with the enhanced red pointed tip.

He's now at the verge of tears because I made him pay $20 out of his allowance for ruining the blade.
I made sure he knows I'm not even going to buy a new one but he has to learn that when you break things, you may have to pay for them.

I'm sad because even though it's "his" saber, it's the only 'just' red saber in our total collection and it looked wicked cool with that pointed tip. TCSS doesn't make enhanced red tips for thick walled blades, only thin.

But maybe there's a way to cut it so it fits anyway?

-

Ah, ain't temper tantrums wunnerful?  You're better than i am, though; if it had been one of my boys, I probably would have caved and tried to get another one. 

But, in my defense, your honor, it would only be because of how this year's gone....their mom - my wife - was the disciplinarian.  I'm finding myself being a little more lenient on some things than she would be.  Just some of the little things.

But she had her "softie" moments, too, LOL...

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #8246 on: July 18, 2020, 01:14:50 AM »

My wife and I are strict about different things. Sometimes she's the disciplinarian but sometimes I'm the enforcer.
They didn't have a ton of discipline when I came into the picture because my wife spent so long as a single mom just trying to make ends meet.
I'm very proud of their progress but when stuff like this occasionally happens, it's a fine balance to not go into 'evil step dad' territory.

I was raised in a very strict home, so I still struggle with that balance. But I'm grateful to have them and be the dad I didn't have (mine passed when I was 7)

But anyway, I was able to cut away the enhanced red tip to fit the thick walled blade I have.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8247 on: July 18, 2020, 01:40:00 AM »

My wife and I are strict about different things. Sometimes she's the disciplinarian but sometimes I'm the enforcer.
They didn't have a ton of discipline when I came into the picture because my wife spent so long as a single mom just trying to make ends meet.
I'm very proud of their progress but when stuff like this occasionally happens, it's a fine balance to not go into 'evil step dad' territory.

I was raised in a very strict home, so I still struggle with that balance. But I'm grateful to have them and be the dad I didn't have (mine passed when I was 7)

But anyway, I was able to cut away the enhanced red tip to fit the thick walled blade I have.

Glad to hear you found a way to make the blade/tip part work out okay. 

As tough as it can be sometimes to see them deal with the emotional pain, I think you did the right thing in trying to help him understand that temper tantrums aren’t a good way to deal with those feelings.  Best of luck helping him learn to channel those feelings into something AT LEAST less destructive, and HOPEFULLY a bit positive.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #8248 on: July 19, 2020, 06:40:38 PM »

I don't know if any of you have this where you are (probably do), but we have "TV" on our gas pumps, showing sports highlights, what's "trending," "business" news, etc.

I just saw one clip where the reporter said "This viral video has gone viral."

My new motto: "Nothing makes me give up on humanity more than humanity."

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #8249 on: July 19, 2020, 07:24:36 PM »

I don't know if any of you have this where you are (probably do), but we have "TV" on our gas pumps, showing sports highlights, what's "trending," "business" news, etc.

I just saw one clip where the reporter said "This viral video has gone viral."

My new motto: "Nothing makes me give up on humanity more than humanity."

I heard someone say "Personal PC".....  So a Personal Personal Computer?  Or CD Disc.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: