Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Wars sure is an expensive hobby :s  (Read 23732 times)
Order Sixty Six
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -8

POWA UNLIMITED POWA

« on: May 29, 2011, 02:29:12 AM »

Well I just hit the 600 dollar mark total for my sith cosplay. It started off inspired from starkiller on Raxus Prime except in black with some personal style to it. Figured I'd share with you guys what I've purchased for my upcoming cosplay and how much I've spent on it.

Lightsabers - This was the first thing I purchased for my cosplay, Dual Initiate V2s - Adegan Silver - 24'' for Jar'Kai fighting. I love them loads! I am buying a coupler asap, I'm great at maneuvering these around separately, but seeing that I also spin firestaff I know I''ll be a natural with the saber staff.

Its costing me a little more though because one of the lightsabers may have been damaged in shipping because it was just a pinch off from the other one (http://i.imgur.com/SeTUF.png), however this was only noticeable with the color disks in. I emailed Deep and he told me I could send it back for him to fix, so I was waiting for my check to come in and using my brighter saber instead, which I later dropped on the sidewalk while playing around with it and the battery pack must have hit the inside of the hilt pretty hard and ended up cracking. So today I got paid and sent it back for repairs, it should be there next week, I just hope Deep can fix them up in time for my convention. A little antsy about it, but the customer service has been great so far and I have a lot of confidence in US.

Here's a picture of my sabers.
It's been 7 hours since I shipped them and I miss them so already haha.

Cloak - My next buy was a apprentice cloak from mystik merchant, I first intended to sew it myself, but I then realized how much I blow at sewing and how I would dread it in every way possible. I sought out to find a cheap robe online, and I found the costume ones and were fine with those - but upon reading the reviews I realized they were terrible, I went back to the original idea and started looking for patterns when I came across the mystik merchant website and fell in love with this. http://i.imgur.com/1zstb.jpg

Set me back 170 for a black one, but I can't beat that and its hemmed to fit perfectly. Its being shipped currently and I'll try to update with pictures when it gets here.

Boots - I was originally going to get a pair of Dainese Longbow Motorcycle boots. In my opinion they are the perfect sith boots, however they were very pricey at over 200 dollars so I had to call a time out. I found these Renaissance boots (http://i.imgur.com/4X1nO.jpg) for $70 (60 + 10 shipping) and after much debating I decided to order them this morning. I think they will match well.

Belts - Going off of the starkiller concept, he has ALOT of belts. This morning I went to goodwill and bought 10 different black belts that matched each other pretty well. Goodwill ROBBED me with $5 each for a total of 50 dollars, but they get the job done perfectly, I will add pics later.

Contacts - What kind of sith would I be without the look of evil in my eyes? I found a good looking pair relatively fast from bodyjeweleryshop.com for a total of 40 dollars, however I added a contact lens kit to this as well so you can expect cheaper if you already have a case, saline salution etc. Most of the FX lenses look tacky, I think theirs look better than others - it was an international order from europe so when they get here next week I'll add pictures :]

Cowl - So I'm wearing a tight fitting vest under my cloak, but when the cloak comes off I wanted to keep a classy look going. I found this tunic cowl combo while shopping around $25 (here - http://www.bonanza.com/booths/DebbiesCorner/items/RENAISSANCE_MEN_S_TUNIC___BLACK___lg_xlg___LARP___SCA).  Since I already had a vest though, I didn't need the tunic. I figured I'd shoot the seller a message asking if it came separate and she was kind enough to sell me the cowl by itself for 10 dollars (along with 5 shipping). I'm sure it was a bargin for her as making a cowl was probably loads less work, and it saved me for paying for what I didn't need. The tunic itself looks great though, and comes in more than black - check out her store for more.

I also bought a facemask to wear under the cowl to get starkillers raxus prime look going in black instead of brown (jedi scum color).

Other misc purchases include a pair of anakin gauntlets that I will be butchering to make to make them look good to wear with the vest and cover up some of my arms so they don't look so bare, fabric for the front and back hanging cloths raxus prime starkiller wears (except mine in black), some black fabric strips to tie around my arms, and some makeup to get the sith look going.

My next purchase after this will be upgrading my computer to make sure I'm ready for SWTOR when it is released. Zabrak - Sith Inquistor - Assassin will be my first char by the name of order-sixty-six
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:09:16 AM by Order Sixty Six » Logged

2x Adegan Silver Initiate v2
2x Blazing Red Dominix v3
Wishlist
Yellow Standard Issue

Hit me with a pm if you live in the tampa area and want to join a sparring group, my friend is recruiting for a panel at shadocon 2011.

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 05:47:01 AM »

wow.  That's one awesome costume, man.  Kudos to you for actually having the drive to get a proper costume, unlike myself, who altered an old tent until it passed for a cloak-like-thing.

And WHOAH!  good find on that tunic!  That's one of the cheapest tunics I've seen to date.  Might have to grab one.

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:51:21 AM »

Very Impressive  Wink  Especially the Contacts!!!!!!!!!  I'm gonna have to get me a pair of those beauties  Grin

As far as our Beloved Passion, you bet your ass it is  Wink , just try buying a Crystal Focus Soundboard for one of your sabers, and you will learn the true definition of Expensive  Undecided ......... lol

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Order Sixty Six
Knight Sergeant

POWA UNLIMITED POWA

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 06:15:32 AM »

My dual sabers have no sound sadly, but then again I kind of like it that way because sometimes I think the sound can be a little cheesy.
I actually just managed to get myself to stop making sound effects with my mouth while I moved them around LOL.

I want an SS RGB Raven with the sith soundboard so bad for this costume but I'm not sure I'm the man for spending a thousand dollars on a costume. I'm a poor college student but Ive managed to budget this out so I can have the best of both worlds I guess haha.

I just realllllllyy hope Deep can fix my sabers and get them back to me before the 17th otherwise I'd be devastated lol. 600 dollars on a sith costume with no lightsabers would be a tragedy.

Wishlist
Yellow Standard Issue

Hit me with a pm if you live in the tampa area and want to join a sparring group, my friend is recruiting for a panel at shadocon 2011.

Smokiewan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -7

What's with the darkside points people?

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:05:47 AM »

I had those exact contacts. They lasted me quite some time, but are disposable and will start to fall apart after about three weeks. Keep them clean and in the saline, and you should be able to get a fair amount of time with them. Enjoy!

LDM's O.G. Anakin AOTC 616 conversion,'05 MR Windu ROTS,'08 HFX Dooku ROTS,"C.A.T.S"(Chewie's Auto Trim Special) US Oppressor v.2, "The Cheerleader" US S.I(Steel), "Billy" US Wraith v.2, "Gripz" US S.I v.2

Order Sixty Six
Knight Sergeant

POWA UNLIMITED POWA

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 01:05:42 PM »

I had those exact contacts. They lasted me quite some time, but are disposable and will start to fall apart after about three weeks. Keep them clean and in the saline, and you should be able to get a fair amount of time with them. Enjoy!

oh, maybe I got my sites mixed up but I thought on the website it said up to a year? I'm only using them once on july 18th and then was hoping they'd last until halloween, but if not thats fine - depending on how they look and fit I'll probaby buy them again for the halloween partys and stuff.

Wishlist
Yellow Standard Issue

Fallen Jedi
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »

Well if you look at it... almost every hobby is pricey....  I mean look at guys who drive motorcycles or repair old cars.... it all depends on what level you decide to commit urself to it. It could be 100$ for a saber or the sky is the limit. I mean there is other thing sot waste money on ... at least u get something with this.

If the dark and the light combine... there will be balance.

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:14:10 PM »

Well if you look at it... almost every hobby is pricey....  I mean look at guys who drive motorcycles or repair old cars.... it all depends on what level you decide to commit urself to it. It could be 100$ for a saber or the sky is the limit. I mean there is other thing sot waste money on ... at least u get something with this.

He does have a good point  Wink

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Maslac
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -17

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:39:39 PM »

OMG your "story" is like 80% same as mine Cheesy

I have the same cloak ! And trust me, when u get it you will LOVE IT! It's like a Ultrasaber, you wish you could take it everywhere you go Smiley Good choice with the lenses! I think i have the same ones too Cheesy

Anyways,havent got any good pics yet, but you'll get the idea Smiley

The only thing i could say about the cloak, is that it's a jedi Aprentice (anakin) cloak. I dont know for sure, but i think it's hood is a little smaller than the Sith robes they do, but don't worry, it's still awesome. You will walk around the house in that thing more than once a month, trust me Cheesy

Anakin 2010 FX - blue (not converted yet)
Phantasm - 2x blazing red ; modified with claws (pics soon)
Consular - Blazing red/guardian blue ; modified with War glaive pommel

Order Sixty Six
Knight Sergeant

POWA UNLIMITED POWA

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »

Very nice! That's making me even more impatient waiting for it to get here now!
One downside to the memorial day weekend is that its taking all of this stuff longer to ship ;\
My boots / cloak / contacts just sent out yesterday and I'm still waiting for my gloves, facemask, & cowl to ship out.

My sabers won't get to US for repair until Friday, and I'm getting a bit antsy because Deep hasn't replied back to my emails yet, I'm assuming he's been busy over the memorial day weekend and with all the orders being placed for the contest. It's just cutting it close because they get there the 3rd and my convention is the 17th so that 2 weeks to fix it and get it shipped back.

Wishlist
Yellow Standard Issue

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 06:24:46 AM »

Very nice! That's making me even more impatient waiting for it to get here now!
One downside to the memorial day weekend is that its taking all of this stuff longer to ship ;\
My boots / cloak / contacts just sent out yesterday and I'm still waiting for my gloves, facemask, & cowl to ship out.

My sabers won't get to US for repair until Friday, and I'm getting a bit antsy because Deep hasn't replied back to my emails yet, I'm assuming he's been busy over the memorial day weekend and with all the orders being placed for the contest. It's just cutting it close because they get there the 3rd and my convention is the 17th so that 2 weeks to fix it and get it shipped back.

Deep is no longer with the company. Please check the announcements section for news on this.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 06:41:03 AM »

You think Star Wars is expensive, try guitar. Unfortunately for my wallet, I've started that hobby.... lol. But all hobbies are expensive sadly.

Nice costume you got there so far though. I can't wait to see pics of the finished product.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Order Sixty Six
Knight Sergeant

POWA UNLIMITED POWA

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 11:01:26 AM »

Deep is no longer with the company. Please check the announcements section for news on this.

Wait what?! Who did I mail my sabers to at Nantes ct in san jose to then?!

not good news to hear :\

-sigh- I really hope this works itself out

Wishlist
Yellow Standard Issue

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »

You think Star Wars is expensive, try guitar. Unfortunately for my wallet, I've started that hobby.... lol. But all hobbies are expensive sadly.

Nice costume you got there so far though. I can't wait to see pics of the finished product.

As a wise man once said:  "nothing worth having, is ever achieved easily" Wink 

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 05:48:35 AM »

Wait what?! Who did I mail my sabers to at Nantes ct in san jose to then?!

not good news to hear :\

-sigh- I really hope this works itself out

It will be worked out.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: