Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Concept to Prototype to working model,Sith Battle Katana  (Read 26384 times)
DarthCooper88
11th Disciple of Masamune
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -248

Old-world crafstman, Sabersmith

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »

Finally back from powder coat! , Got it home & had to do a few minor adjustments, with this being the close to finished, still considering wrapping the handle not sure as yet......any thoughts on decoration?

"You have been forged in fire, tempered in blood & come out steel" Brave Rifles! 3rd Armored Cavalr

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 08:08:46 PM »

Finally back from powder coat! , Got it home & had to do a few minor adjustments, with this being the close to finished, still considering wrapping the handle not sure as yet......any thoughts on decoration?

OMFG that is awesome!

Point a gain. that looks so sick.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »

Thanks Kham-Ryn Kurios! ,& with a cheap Darth maul board & cannabilized speaker, the amount of sound coming from the ports is surprising, I believe about 1/2 of the hilt is acting as resonance chamber. This is with a mid grade transwhite blade at 36" balanced right behind the guard

"You have been forged in fire, tempered in blood & come out steel" Brave Rifles! 3rd Armored Cavalr

Arcadius
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -12

Without emotions, we are powerless.

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 08:43:43 PM »

Did you make the oval pipe, or were you able to find it somewhere? I love this idea (I've a love for katanas as well) and would like to work a variant of it at some point (with your permission) - with a round tsuba, wrapped handle, and possibly using an MLS unit for the LED if possible.

The Jedi speak of freedom, yet know nothing of true freedom. They speak of knowing the force, but know nothing of the true power of the force.

Dark side points please!

Sabers:
PO Phantom LE V3 Staff
GB Blue Liberator (fiancee's)
AS Omen w/filters (dead)

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »

This thing just looks more incredible every time I come back to this thread. You've done amazing work here!

As far as decoration goes.... I might suggest since it's a sith weapon some painted or scratched in markings, or else tying some evil momentos into the guard with wire. Tiny bits of fake bone, perhaps? I'm really just shooting random ideas, the thing looks so great as is I'm not sure I would decorate it much myself. That, and I can't get the thought of a Jedi counterpart out of my head... Cheesy Again, excellent work.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Jenny
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 56

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »

I think tsuka ito is important for a katana!  Also, menuki, which could, as Manroon suggested, be bits of bone or other "evil mementos."

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »

Arcadus do you mean something like this? This is the 2nd in series & is 2 inches shorter , has a different attachment for the tsuba, & is more contoured for the round to oval transition, this one I think wont have sound, I have a 5watt blue LED on the way & driving it with 2 14500's .
 As far as the oval pipe goes , I have some friends in a fabrication shop that makes custom bike parts & sub-frames for high end sports cars, I think this piece was part of the tesla motorworks frame that my friend "appropriated" for me Smiley I'll work on getting more

Arcadius
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -12

Without emotions, we are powerless.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »

Arcadus do you mean something like this? This is the 2nd in series & is 2 inches shorter , has a different attachment for the tsuba, & is more contoured for the round to oval transition, this one I think wont have sound, I have a 5watt blue LED on the way & driving it with 2 14500's .
 As far as the oval pipe goes , I have some friends in a fabrication shop that makes custom bike parts & sub-frames for high end sports cars, I think this piece was part of the tesla motorworks frame that my friend "appropriated" for me Smiley I'll work on getting more

That is exactly what I had in mind!

The Jedi speak of freedom, yet know nothing of true freedom. They speak of knowing the force, but know nothing of the true power of the force.

Dark side points please!

Sabers:
PO Phantom LE V3 Staff
GB Blue Liberator (fiancee's)
AS Omen w/filters (dead)

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »

I did like the finish as is with the bronze & am still torn between a traditional wrap or full leather sheath. I was poking around in the paint supplies & came across antique bronze spraypaint from rustoleum from another project.... have to experiment! I have always loved the look of age patina & rusty metal, some call it weathering, yadayada, I took some paint with a brush & did a dry feather technique in a rough camo pattern.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »

Oooooh, I like!

I am not a color...

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »

This is some amazing work, my friend.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »

Threadjack Thank you for the compliment, well appreciated!
In the mean time , I have designed & built 90% of my next saber, this one is the Jedi version more than likely running blue 5watt might go LEDengin (It should be stupily bright when said & done Grin) After some research it looks as though the highest lumen ratings fall in the green & amber colors. This one will run a Buckpuck, li-on in hilt recharge, no sound straight stunt/battle saber, powder coat( possible different color & finish & this time I will use Tsuka-ito, menuki & samegawa ray skin for decorations. I found some tsube online very economically, & I'm sure those with sharp eyes can see why I got them "cheap"? Still deciding on which to use, or another hand made, any ideas/suggestions from the group?

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 02:05:13 AM »

I'd go with the one on the left, since it looks easiest to put on a saber, though I think I like the looks of the one on the right best. Just my two creds. Wink And Jedi counterpart: YEAH! That'll be awesome!

I am not a color...

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 03:04:44 AM »

Thanks Manroon, the one of the left I drilled out to fit over a tcss #1 blade holder from there it just becomes a mechanical attachment & then everthing gets PC'd in one shot. I am kinda leaning towards the one of the left though, the same one is in the middle flipped over. & Once again there is a flaw in the 3 tsuba that made them verrry cheap  Wink & would really Pi%$^ a guy off who ordered one for his favorite bladed Katana

Amanita
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »

Those lightsaber Katana are awesome! I want one!

You see, I use energy (psionic) blades for non SW character cosplays too, so hilts that don't look like traditional sabers appeal to me for that reason as well.

And I remember Ultra posting a rendering of a saber-katana here once, I would LOVE it if he made one, I'd definately buy one, possibly a pair.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: