Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: In-Hilt colour switching . . . mk5 (rotary switch)  (Read 8251 times)
JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« on: January 09, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »

And . . . . It’s been a while  Wink

I’ve been very busy with life, family & work over recent months, and even over my Christmas break this year I haven’t had much time to put into my saber hobby, I had some time off the grid, and that was nice . . . but . . . I found some time in recent days to finish a long overdue project I’ve had in my mind and in stages for probably over a year . . .

I’ll start with a pic  Cool

The hilt is an Overlord main body, MHS 1” extension in the neck, Renegade SE side emitter (left over from another project that’s in the works for this year Wink) and a v3 vented pommel (looks almost the same as the Overlord pommel, but with a 1” sound hole) . . . I’ve added one of Lord C’s infamous domed momentary switches to give it a try, I just know he would have gone on and on and on if I hadn’t installed one at some point Wink . . .

but . . . the reason I’m here is for this :

It’s a Menace knurled screw, attached to one of these 1x12 position Rotary Switches :

installed in a pommel mounted blade plug . . . and with this wired up with different resistor mixes using an US RGGB MLS unit, I can now do this :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuH75hL1b3s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuH75hL1b3s</a>

Rotate the switch to select these 12 blade colours :

BR, PO, Gold, Lime, CG, SRD, Cyan, AB, Mid Blue, GB, VA & BH . . . well, some are very close to the US colours . . . I’ve used an RGGB LED primarily because my favourite blade colour is green and using 2x green diodes for my CG mix is very close to the brightness and fullness of Tri-CG to my eyes . . . and this then also means I can get a very nice Lime colour using G+G+R (5 ohm 2w resistor to R), SRD colour using G+G+B (10 ohm 2w resistor to B), and Cyan is a straight G+G+B mix . . .

I get some of these colours in a similar way US wire up their module colours . . . If you’re not familiar with some of my previous projects that have bought me here, you can check out these links :

In-Hilt colour switching . . . mk2 (4 switch)

In-Hilt colour switching . . . mk3 (6 switch RGBA)

In-Hilt Bluetooth LED driver experiment

I guess I’ve been on a journey to have a setup where I can change my blade colour when I want, without the need of a computer or other device, or to have to change Quick Disconnect LED modules, or even unscrew a pommel . . . maybe it’s just laziness, lol, but I’ve been dreaming of this for a while . . .

So . . . this is my first working prototype using this Rotary Switch in a hilt . . . the wiring is a little messy, more excess than I’d like, and for my first prototype I had hoped to fit this in a Sentinel hilt, but I got impatient and settled on the full MHS Overlord as the surrogate . . .

This is also my first hilt with a handmade chassis using 32mm electrical conduit pipe, just to make it easier to install with all the wires everywhere . . . this chassis needed to be longer to fit the wires, buckpuck, momentary to latching converter, etc, but it’s ok in this hilt . . .

Here’s a few more pics of the pommel end for now :

I secured the rotary switch with a retention screw tapped into the chassis, and also used the Overlord’s pre drilled Covertec hole with a retention screw to secure the chassis to the hilt so the switch won’t move . . . this leaves the pommel free to remove without any twisted wires . . .

The cut down blade plug has a 6.5mm centre hole drilled in it, and the switch shaft is cut down to just protrude past it . . . I drilled a small pilot hole to find centre, then used the drill bit for tapping an 8-32 screw, and as the shaft is plastic I carefully threaded the screw itself into the shaft without needing the tap tool . . . the screw is held tight doing this, and as the switch rotation resistance is less than the screw resistance the switch movement works very well without the screw breaking free . . . If I had a problem with it, I intended to glue the screw in, but it’s not needed . . .

I’ve also used a small 19mm disc at the base of the shaft that the blade plug fits in perfectly to keep it in line . . .

This is the first of many I want to setup like this, and for the next one I’ll take some more pics along the way to share how I do it, so if your interested keep an eye on this thread, as I hope to do these over the next few months . . . I’ve been thinking lots about how I’ll be reducing the wiring, and I’m sure I can get this setup in a Sentinel v4 hilt, and even a Standard Issue v3 hilt . . . And . . . because I love pommel lights, this will have to happen as well :

For now, these will all be stunt sabers with a pommel mounted Rotary Switch . . . but . . . I’ve also been thinking how I can add this switch to a saber with sound, and as this switch can fit in an MHS hilt like this :

I hope to mount one next to an av switch to look something like this (so I can have the standard sound setup at the pommel end) :

cheers . . .  Smiley

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 01:05:25 PM »

Wow man, Wow! I have never seen anything like that. I would have never known something like that could be done.  I'm guessing the batteries would be a little tricky to get to. What about a recharge port?  Awesome job!!!

Nevermind, I figured out how you got the batteries going.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »

So awesome to see this hit daylight, Jed Smiley.  What an epic mod!!  Just unreal!!  I knew about this before and I'm still blown away right now haha!  It turned out SO amazing, incredible work, as always.  This is the kind of stuff that inspired me to start tinkering right here. 

Great to see you back in action Jed Smiley

Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 02:35:56 PM »

One more idea to add to your color-changing experiments. I've seen some vape box kits that use a PWM chip that reads the resistance off a variable resistor to determine how much current to feed to the system. Should be more durable than just chucking a variable resistor between the battery and LED. I've been thinking that three of these  on an RGB hilt would make for some nice fine-tuned color options.

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 02:43:30 PM »

What a killer setup! Fantastic idea! Incoming point and masses of respect for giving something like that a go and sharing it with us all Smiley

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 03:17:04 PM »

Holy frack, dude.  This is insanely cool.  And one of the most ingenious uses of a circle blade plug and knurled accent screw I've ever seen.  You totally blew my mind with this mod.  Grin

I especially love seeing RevanReborn's reaction to this, given that you're both mad scientist level hilt modders.  I mean that as a compliment, of course, you guys rock.  Grin

Jeadus Teal
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 203

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »

And . . . . It’s been a while  Wink

I’ve been very busy with life, family & work over recent months, and even over my Christmas break this year I haven’t had much time to put into my saber hobby, I had some time off the grid, and that was nice . . . but . . . I found some time in recent days to finish a long overdue project I’ve had in my mind and in stages for probably over a year . . .

I’ll start with a pic  Cool

The hilt is an Overlord main body, MHS 1” extension in the neck, Renegade SE side emitter (left over from another project that’s in the works for this year Wink) and a v3 vented pommel (looks almost the same as the Overlord pommel, but with a 1” sound hole) . . . I’ve added one of Lord C’s infamous domed momentary switches to give it a try, I just know he would have gone on and on and on if I hadn’t installed one at some point Wink . . .

but . . . the reason I’m here is for this :

It’s a Menace knurled screw, attached to one of these 1x12 position Rotary Switches :

installed in a pommel mounted blade plug . . . and with this wired up with different resistor mixes using an US RGGB MLS unit, I can now do this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuH75hL1b3s

Rotate the switch to select these 12 blade colours :

BR, PO, Gold, Lime, CG, SRD, Cyan, AB, Mid Blue, GB, VA & BH . . . well, some are very close to the US colours . . . I’ve used an RGGB LED primarily because my favourite blade colour is green and using 2x green diodes for my CG mix is very close to the brightness and fullness of Tri-CG to my eyes . . . and this then also means I can get a very nice Lime colour using G+G+R (5 ohm 2w resistor to R), SRD colour using G+G+B (10 ohm 2w resistor to B), and Cyan is a straight G+G+B mix . . .

I get some of these colours in a similar way US wire up their module colours . . . If you’re not familiar with some of my previous projects that have bought me here, you can check out these links :

In-Hilt colour switching . . . mk2 (4 switch)

In-Hilt colour switching . . . mk3 (6 switch RGBA)

In-Hilt Bluetooth LED driver experiment

I guess I’ve been on a journey to have a setup where I can change my blade colour when I want, without the need of a computer or other device, or to have to change Quick Disconnect LED modules, or even unscrew a pommel . . . maybe it’s just laziness, lol, but I’ve been dreaming of this for a while . . .

So . . . this is my first working prototype using this Rotary Switch in a hilt . . . the wiring is a little messy, more excess than I’d like, and for my first prototype I had hoped to fit this in a Sentinel hilt, but I got impatient and settled on the full MHS Overlord as the surrogate . . .

This is also my first hilt with a handmade chassis using 32mm electrical conduit pipe, just to make it easier to install with all the wires everywhere . . . this chassis needed to be longer to fit the wires, buckpuck, momentary to latching converter, etc, but it’s ok in this hilt . . .

Here’s a few more pics of the pommel end for now :

I secured the rotary switch with a retention screw tapped into the chassis, and also used the Overlord’s pre drilled Covertec hole with a retention screw to secure the chassis to the hilt so the switch won’t move . . . this leaves the pommel free to remove without any twisted wires . . .

The cut down blade plug has a 6.5mm centre hole drilled in it, and the switch shaft is cut down to just protrude past it . . . I drilled a small pilot hole to find centre, then used the drill bit for tapping an 8-32 screw, and as the shaft is plastic I carefully threaded the screw itself into the shaft without needing the tap tool . . . the screw is held tight doing this, and as the switch rotation resistance is less than the screw resistance the switch movement works very well without the screw breaking free . . . If I had a problem with it, I intended to glue the screw in, but it’s not needed . . .

I’ve also used a small 19mm disc at the base of the shaft that the blade plug fits in perfectly to keep it in line . . .

This is the first of many I want to setup like this, and for the next one I’ll take some more pics along the way to share how I do it, so if your interested keep an eye on this thread, as I hope to do these over the next few months . . . I’ve been thinking lots about how I’ll be reducing the wiring, and I’m sure I can get this setup in a Sentinel v4 hilt, and even a Standard Issue v3 hilt . . . And . . . because I love pommel lights, this will have to happen as well :

For now, these will all be stunt sabers with a pommel mounted Rotary Switch . . . but . . . I’ve also been thinking how I can add this switch to a saber with sound, and as this switch can fit in an MHS hilt like this :

I hope to mount one next to an av switch to look something like this (so I can have the standard sound setup at the pommel end) :

cheers . . .  Smiley

Simply put...wonderful.

" Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

JediJacob
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 49

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »

WOW! nice work this looks amazing wish i had the skill to do something like this haha. Point incoming.

The Force is with me and I am one with the Force

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 01:41:33 AM »

Bloody hell!

I just dont even have words for how awesome this is man! truly losfer words

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:18:16 AM »

You know there is tons and tons of pure genius things on this forum but this might of taken the cake. Wow, just wow!

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 05:44:57 AM »

That is bloody brilliant! I'm speechless. Bravo, man! +1 at least!

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »

All the points Jed - fantastic!  Congrats on finding the end of the tunnel with this project and I hope you are very satisfied with such an epic accomplishment.  Shmexy bro Grin  Love the custom Overlord too it makes a very attractive host for this set up.

Question - do you feel like the internals are stable enough for any sparring?  Or would this be better suited for spinning, belt candy and to show friends and family?

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 603

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:03 PM »

IMPRESSIVE, MOST IMPRESSIVE!!!  Shocked Shocked

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/s & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/s an silver foc
 Archon CG w/s an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/s an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite s and AB foc
 Exile in CG w/s an silver foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Free)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (Raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Dark Initiate V2 in GB (free)
 Franken saber in VA
 Dominix LE V2 in BR (friend)
Wish list: Sound in my Guardian, Dark Prophecy BR

doomblade0
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 01:58:54 AM »

Amazing! I'd love to try to do copy this if I can!!!

If I may ask, where do you get these LED Modules?

Thanks for any responses/advice to my questions!  I really appreciate them!
Grab Bag Stunts:
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red
Standard Issue - Fire Orange

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 02:45:49 AM »

Congrats!  Glad you got that done!  Smiley

Now here's the real important question:  When did you get a Renegade SE???!!!

That's not the Emitter from your LE  . . . that's an SE.

I'd also love to see a good pic of all the wiring; that must be intense.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: