Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Ladies Copper Saber  (Read 6896 times)
Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« on: September 10, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »

Ladies Copper Saber (for lack of a better name)

I got a GB stunt Sentinel v4 with recharge port out of a free grab bag last year and set it a side with plans to do something to it someday. In March I finally gutted it and decided to test salt etching on it. I practiced a few different resists so the line work isn’t consistent.

Popped the pommel into the lathe for nice crisp lines and used Sharpie as the first resist

Line work isn’t the finest, my hands shake now-a-days.

Salt etching uses a DC power supply, salt, water and cotton swabs. Simple yet time consuming. You have to continuously swipe the damp cotton over the surface evenly and is actually a very involved process. It took almost about 45 mis to do the pommel.

**Warning** This process creates Chorine gas and that is very toxic. This process must be done in a very well ventilated area. DO NOT INHALE THE GAS, it is a visible smoke with a strong caustic/metallic smell. If you can smell it, you need to be in an area with stronger ventilation. Attempt this at your own risk and do your research before you start.

I didn’t get the bite I wanted because the Sharpie was scrubbed off prematurely.

On the rest of the hilt I used a fine tipped paint pen. This held up well to the etching but where you hold it can get rubbed off. I suggest doing your line work in sections to prevent the paint from being rubbed off during the handling of the saber during etching. (constantly turning the saber to etch evenly)

I planned on putting the original electronics back into the hilt and was considering painting blue details to match. Discussing it with Logos and oxidized copper was mentioned… lightbulb. I picked up several shades of Testors Model Master Acrylic paint and Enamel. I played around with Teal, Green Zinc Chromate and Signal Green acrylic and wasn’t happy with the results. I then played with Turquoise enamel but it needed something. Picked up a bottle of Vallejo Model Wash in Dark Green and voila.

Unfortunately I didn’t save any of the pictures from the painting process.

I painted the blade plug for the saber with the same oxidized copper scheme

Logos mentioned a cyan LED would look really good with the color scheme of the saber over the guardian blue so I picked up a Tri Cyan LUXEON Rebel directly from the manufacturer. I want to thank Rapine, Tx and ScifiDude for their advice (a few others also, but I don’t believe they are on this forum) figuring out the resistor value I needed was making me a bit nervous. I also decided to use one of the other guy’s boards (PM for details) and learning to wire that also was wigging me out. I set the electronics aside until boredom set in…

Last week I finally got up the courage and was equally bored enough to start the electronics. Even picked up a shiny new electric solder station for this. Still need to buy finer tips tho, was tricky doing the PCB.

The AV switch

Due to the size of the AV I had to glue it in instead of using the nut. Not pretty but out of sight, out of mind.

Soldered the speaker wires and popped it into a chassis from TCSS.

*Skipping details of soldering the PCB*

And more work on the LED

Everything was finished and ready to pop the battery in. Oh and the previously mentioned paint job.

And the moment of truth… then disappointment. Light but no sound. Looked everything over and nothing was bridged and my joints were ugly but solid.
*Other guy’s PCB cut from pic*

A special shout out to ScifiDude who recommended checking the speaker, that turned out to be the issue and saved me a great deal of work, anxiety and heartache.

And now, the final product.

Lighting sucks, I know.

Instead of a recharge port, I painted and glued in a filagree metal bead, fits the feel of the saber well.

Pommel I picked up from TCSS

Crappy pic, but the flash shows the mottling of the wash well.

Blade plug illuminated.

And a pleasant surprise

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5LSm3GH1kE&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »

<golf clap>

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

GrayTinker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 64

Lady Gray. I fix stuff.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous!  Shocked

Point!

-GT

Owned:  Standard Issue V3 FO  |  Dominix V2 AS  |  Dark Initiate V4 SY

Gray, but more light than dark. (Light Side Points Please)

"There is no light without dark, no up without down, no male without female - however, there will always be those that tread the unknown middle ground between them to make their own way in life and find their own balance." - Me

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »

<golf clap>
<rolls eyes> Thanks  Tongue Grin

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous!  Shocked
Point!
-GT
Thank you

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2770

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 07:27:40 PM »

<rolls eyes> Thanks  Tongue Grin
That's high praise. Don't get snooty.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 07:28:50 PM »

That's high praise. Don't get snooty.
I'm not, figured it was mocking since you've seen the saber since the first step as well as in person.

Darkside Points Please

Solstice Lacer
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -424

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:29:49 PM »

Looks incredible, great work

Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters where the ragged people go, looking for the places only they would know.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

Outrageously awsome m’lady!! But now that I see your killer shop toys I understand how it was possible. Skill+daring+awsome tools= incredible custom!!!

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 08:04:49 PM »

This is a beautiful saber that needs a proper name.  Am smiling as we both just did custom green versions of a Sentinel.  I'm in awe that you have the skills and talent to completely gut and put in new electronics.  You are getting good at more detailed but finer acid etching.  Really like all of the other elements you gave this saber.  The crystal blade plug is bold as always.  Did not expect this saber coming from a staunch Sith... but you are first a Lady !  Smiley

mad skills and artistry point  Cool
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:57:22 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »

Thank you Solstice, gumby and D7.

gumby, the lathe was just me being lazy, tho having a DC power supply around is very handy. Otherwise everything was done by hand or with things that are easily found/have around the house.

D7, I have never liked naming things, it used to drive my professors nuts in art school. I was not allowed to keep naming things "Untitled" lol. I do have background experience in electronics/precision soldering but I was a well trained monkey, really. It was understanding ohms law that was freaking me out mainly, I was used to an electrical engineer figuring that crap out before hand then just giving me a print to follow. And I'll tell you all a secret... green is my favorite color except in sabers.

Also, just caught a typo. Chlorine Gas Unfortunately Chlorine was the worst word in the entire post to mess up. People, an IMPORTANT reminder, DO NOT INHALE the CHLORINE GAS. Thank you ceramics class for that important lesson.

Darkside Points Please

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 09:29:09 PM »

Wonderful! That etching looks great. From what I have watched on youtube, that amount must have taken hours, if not days, to do.

A single point is not enough, but it's only what I can give.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »

Thanks chalion, it did take around 3-4 hours to etch, not to mention the time hand drawing the vines.

Darkside Points Please

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2790

Grey Assassin

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 09:54:31 PM »

Amazing work there, LAK. The etching looks superb to me. My favorite piece is the pommel itself

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 10:06:37 PM »

Thanks Infinite, the pommel I etched or the pommel I used? I had to switch when I decided to add sound.

Darkside Points Please

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »

F***ing awesome is what it is. Terrific work on everything. I love the etching, you did really fantastic work on that. The paint looks just perfect, and I like that you even did things like the switch bezel and pommel insert. What you did to fill the recharge port hole is genius, and your blade plug looks f***ing sweet. And, of course, great job on those electronics. Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: