Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: V-Day  (Read 859 times)
Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« on: May 09, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »

Sorry for being a little late.

Okay, I have an excuse. In Russia we celebrate V-Day at 9th May, because of the timezone issue. I know the rest of the world celebrates it one day earlier. Also forgive me for possible grammatical mistakes and unreadability, I'm a little drunk.

68 years ago we defeated Nazism. By "we" I mean the Allies, not any single country. Our enemies were perhaps the closest real-world thing to an empire of evil, and this evil was destroyed, Earth cleansed from it. It was quite a long time ago, but there still live people who remembered this war.

Today I celebrated with my grandmother. She was a teenage girl back then, when her village was in the Nazi occupied territory. She remembers well many stories, both grisly and exhilarating, about World War II as seen by a simple country girl.  I was listening to her stories, realizing this is the only live testimony of those times in my family, since both of my grandfathers are dead.

However, I still have records of my paternal grandfather, who was a Lt.Colonel and a pilot during the Great Patriotic War. I never knew him, and only learned his story from archive documents. However, he is not forgotten.

Nobody is forgotten.
Nothing is.

Remember World War II.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:32:15 PM »

Always remember.  And thank a Vet at every chance available.  Are you able to watch the series Band of Brothers?  It's got a lot of good interviews with WWII vets, though obviously from Easy Company, since they're the focus of the series. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »

I'll search for it. Not sure if it's translated; my understanding of spoken English is substantially shoddier than written.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »

I'll search for it. Not sure if it's translated; my understanding of spoken English is substantially shoddier than written.

Hmm.  Didn't think of that.  It's probably not translated into Russian, though there probably is French subtitles or something.  In any case, I completely agree about honoring our veterans, old and new, and remembering the sacrifices they've made. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »

During WWII, the Imperial Japanese Army invaded China's capital city of Nanking and proceeded to slaughter 300,000 of my family's countrymen. To this day, the Japanese government has still not given China a true, sincere apology.

Remember Nanking.
Remember World War II.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:19:30 PM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:25:43 AM »

A little late myself, but amen to all of the above. Thanks to the Vets, from ANY war, and particularly WWII. Talk to those guys, or anyone you might meet who remembers that time. Listen to whatever they want to say and pass on what you hear. Remember also that in any war, or anything for that matter, there are ALL kinds of people. Civilians. Patriots. Freedom Fighters. Reluctant Soldiers. Dictators. Selfless Leaders. Murderers. Rescuers. All people.

My thanks to those who were there, Allied Soldier or otherwise, for coming through it and doing your part to give the rest of us a world in one piece, the chance to live our lives as we choose, and the opportunity to learn from what happened then.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: