Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Vader for hire?  (Read 1480 times)
CommanderLink
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: December 31, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »

Hey all
I'm thinking of starting a small business for fun where i dress up in a high-grade Vader costume (Or whatever character is requested) and be hired out for parties

I know this kind of thing has been done before, but i worry about legal troubles eg; lucasarts/lucasfilm raging that i'm technically making money from portraying their character..

So, what are your thoughts everybody? Know anyone who has done this before? Did they have any such trouble?

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »

Lucas tends to look away from such stuff if it is for charity.

If you are looking to profit...and by this I mean beyond your needs...the cost of costume, materials, travel, lodging, etc. is not considered for profit...the money beyond this would be profit.

If you are looking for profit then they will get you IF you use the IP names and logos...Star Wars, Darth/Lord Vader, etc...by not using the names and staying under the radar will buy you some time before the C&D.

Now if you used the money to support you hobby and just built a costume collection while dumping any excess to a charity then you may survive the purge.

Donate at least 20-25%, especially if to one of Lucas's favored charities...and maybe.

Light side points please Smiley

CommanderLink
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:38:29 AM »

Lucas tends to look away from such stuff if it is for charity.

If you are looking to profit...and by this I mean beyond your needs...the cost of costume, materials, travel, lodging, etc. is not considered for profit...the money beyond this would be profit.

If you are looking for profit then they will get you IF you use the IP names and logos...Star Wars, Darth/Lord Vader, etc...by not using the names and staying under the radar will buy you some time before the C&D.

Now if you used the money to support you hobby and just built a costume collection while dumping any excess to a charity then you may survive the purge.

Donate at least 20-25%, especially if to one of Lucas's favored charities...and maybe.

Ahaha... Damn.
I'm only 19, i wouldn't mind donating it all to charity and using the remainer for costume supplies, i would still have tons of fun! But, i don't want to risk any legal trouble at all so no go for me. Going to court costs thousands of dollars.

How do people do this stuff in America? I saw a website that had a bunch of star wars character actors for hire for weddings, parties, etc. They had a rediculously low amount of personal info on the site other than "Contact us on this email to arrange your booking"

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:49:42 AM »

Well, my suggestion for you would be this:

It sounds like you're mostly into just getting the chance to wear the costume, get into the character, and it also sounds like the money is not a thing to you (except possibly to help pay for the costume). The best thing for you would be to look up the 501st Legion or the Rebel Legion on google. They are groups of people who dress up as the bad and good guys respectively, and do charity events, conventions, and all sorts of Star Wars related events. They have 'garrisons' and 'bases' (by that I mean local groups) across the world in several countries, you can look for your local one on their websites. They can help you learn how to get a costume together and make it accurate to the movies, and get involved in events. Smiley They just don't do anything for money, which is sort of how Lucas lets them exist I think. They help keep the hype up about Star Wars, and that makes him money, and they don't take any of the profit. lol

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

CommanderLink
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:06:47 AM »

Well, my suggestion for you would be this:

It sounds like you're mostly into just getting the chance to wear the costume, get into the character, and it also sounds like the money is not a thing to you (except possibly to help pay for the costume). The best thing for you would be to look up the 501st Legion or the Rebel Legion on google. They are groups of people who dress up as the bad and good guys respectively, and do charity events, conventions, and all sorts of Star Wars related events. They have 'garrisons' and 'bases' (by that I mean local groups) across the world in several countries, you can look for your local one on their websites. They can help you learn how to get a costume together and make it accurate to the movies, and get involved in events. Smiley They just don't do anything for money, which is sort of how Lucas lets them exist I think. They help keep the hype up about Star Wars, and that makes him money, and they don't take any of the profit. lol

Thanks, i've searched for them before and still haven't found any trace of them in Melbourne, Australia. The only Star Wars related group here is Star walking, perhaps i should join up with them and ask around with people who would know more about the subject locally? Smiley

That would be a good group to be a part of.. I want an awesome costume yes, but i need a good reason like this to justify spending so much on it to my family haha

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »

Ahh. I see. Well, by all means, get in with your local group. After that, you might see if anyone else in your area is interested, and try contacting the Rebels or the 501st about getting a base together in your area yourself. I dunno about the 501st, but I believe the Rebels have something for people in areas without a base. Something so you can get in, get your costume, and still be involved even if you're the only one in your area. I would guess the 501st has something like that too, but I don't know for sure. I never actually got around to joining either group myself. lol

I am not a color...

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:02:23 AM »

Have you looked into the 501 Legion in Victoria?

http://www.501st.com/members/garrisonroster.php?garrisonId=3

117+ active members on the roster

The commanding officer has 9 official costumes and is in Melbourne

http://www.501st.com/members/displaymemberdetails.php?userID=10760

Good luck mate!

CommanderLink
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 02:11:33 AM »

Have you looked into the 501 Legion in Victoria?

oh wow thank you! I didn't find them, only saw the ones in QLD and NSW Cheesy

I'll sign up immediately Tongue thanks a lot.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 03:38:59 AM »

Sweet! Glad you found a group to hook up with! Grin

I am not a color...

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 04:01:59 AM »

oh wow thank you! I didn't find them, only saw the ones in QLD and NSW Cheesy

I'll sign up immediately Tongue thanks a lot.

Worry not...hmmm yes strong with the google am I hmmm hmhmhmhmhmhmmm...

CommanderLink
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 05:30:11 AM »

Worry not...hmmm yes strong with the google am I hmmm hmhmhmhmhmhmmm...

thanks to everyone here
i've decided i am getting a bit ahead of myself, these ARE my goals for the year, but first i must build the foundation and get a damn job Tongue
I will return soon when i have accomplished this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: